Masters Running

Twosday, June 8 GET UP and RUN!!! (Read 696 times)

lamerunner

Good afternoon.  Welcome and Great running wannabe! I  confess I don't carry a cell phone running either. ... shh .  Many of my runs are in populated areas, but  for the longer or trail runs, it would be smart, I know. 

My DS is in his last two weeks of elementary school. Time does seem to fly.  I remember him trying to learn to walk using push toys in the Zurich airport when our flight home was delayed. ( he also apparently ate the wrong thing at said airport becuase he proceeded to scream for several hours of that flight). Ah, memory lane....  DD is about to finish her junior year of HS.

6.5 miles this morning in clear and cool conditions, low 50s and sunny. I also did a 1500 yard swim after a long and difficult morning in court. Sometimes they are all agin you it seems!

Good runs to all!

lamerunner

P.S. Erika, except for the hour, that drive sounds lovely.  I have occasaional dreams of climbing Denali, but the time and snow shoveling involved are daunting.

I look my best blurry!

Wannaberunner---you will rock your marathon no doubt and your enthusiasm is awesome.  I love it! >>> lecture mode on<<  Do take your cell phone though. I don't think you'll need it because you can't make the distance, you are a strong and gifted runner as your times clearly show. A woman running alone should have a phone along is all. I learned that the hard way and was reminded recently after falling hard on the pavement (I was with someone who had a phone and could call for a ride) Just don't want anything bad to happen to you.<<<<lecture mode off>>>>>

I was thinking that obviously, but I have an iPhone and I don't want to carry that "brick" around.  I had money in my pocket and I do run around a lake with lots of runners, a golf course and along a road that is pretty busy, but with a nice shoulder.  It isn't desolate.   I hate to give up the iPhone but it does stink to run with.  Any suggestions?  

I wish I could run with you sometime!  Boston???  Fingers crossed!

Speaking of PF........I had complained of the possibility of an issue with that a couple of weeks ago.

I think I have determined at least part of the problem......my running shoes.

I had "new "running shoes that I used  with only 150 miles on them and they must not work for me yet.  So I went back to the three old pair of shoes and I am okay again using any one of them.  The only problem is.......the three pair that my feet tolerate have such high mileage that I should not be running in them.....(1,227 miles on one, 1001 on the second and 900 on the third pair).  All of them still work fine but the numbers say "retire".

The pair that has  1,300 miles on them were horrible to start but I walked / played basketball etc in them for about 6 years (1985-1991) and wore them in.that way... I then didn't use them at all for 12 years (back of the closet waiting to throw them away).....and it was THEN (2003) that I pulled them out and started running in them at that stage. The 1,300 miles have been put on AFTER the first 18 years so who knows how many miles I really have on them.

So...any new shoes always give me the PF problem.....no matter the cost or brand it seems.

Anyway......I will figure it out

Vista

I  confess I don't carry a cell phone running either. ... shh .  Many of my runs are in populated areas, but  for the longer or trail runs, it would be smart, I know. 

I saw that lamerunner! Stuff happens in populated areas too ya know.  Just sayin' 

As for running with you wannaberunner...absolutely! and I imagine it will be as soon as Boston 2011 or even sooner since Lafayette College is a client---are you near there at all? I run with my iPhone (since it's also my mp3 player and I use the Runkeeper app. sometimes as well). It's not that much of a brick and I wear it clipped to my shorts or in my SpiBelt pack.  I also have a few running tank tops that have zippered pockets and just put the phone in there. 

Not to get all nervous nellie on you, it's just better to be safe.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Aamos! Excellent news about DanL's half marathon and your chance to run Deadwood. Well done to both of you. I haven't forgotten Stumpy's elderly crack either. I don't get mad, I just get even.

That's sort of what I was afraid of.  But where's the thrill of danger if you don't poke the ferret every once in a while?   (i happen to think that ferrets are cute, so this is not an (additional) insult).  but if we ever run in the same race, you'll be the one accused of elder abuse.   Besides, I'm not sure my picture is even in the yearbook.  I don't even have one.  go figure.  Speaking of Western Mass, JT just came up on my shuffle singing "Sweet Baby James" along with Carole King.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

That's sort of what I was afraid of.  But where's the thrill of danger if you don't poke the ferret every once in a while?   (i happen to think that ferrets are cute, so this is not an (additional) insult).  but if we ever run in the same race, you'll be the one accused of elder abuse.   Besides, I'm not sure my picture is even in the yearbook.  I don't even have one.  go figure.  Speaking of Western Mass, JT just came up on my shuffle singing "Sweet Baby James" along with Carole King.

Stumpy!! Poke the Ferret?! Not cute at all when they are biting you----I worked at Bristol Myers labs in Syracuse while in high school (internship and all that). Yup....worked in the ferret and rat lab/anti-tumor biology division. Ferrets bite and they are fast...okay, so maybe this works. Elder abuse.....yeah right! I am going to so get you back......!

I'll be nice (for now) since you mentioned JT----my first rock concert experience sans parental chaperone was JT and Carly Simon playing at Manley Fieldhouse on the SU campus in the 1970s---you might have been nearby as a student in fact. Good tunes.

Is pick on CNY day almost over? yeesh! look like a ferret?! I never! 

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'll be nice (for now) since you mentioned JT----my first rock concert experience sans parental chaperone was JT and Carly Simon playing at Manley Fieldhouse on the SU campus in the 1970s---you might have been nearby as a student in fact. Good tunes.

Is pick on CNY day almost over? yeesh! look like a ferret?! I never! 

You must have barely been in middle school at that point.  Such permissive parents.  Manly Fieldhouse brings back a lot of pleasant BB memories. (watching, not playing)  I got to see the end of the Roy Danforth era and the beginning of the Boeheim era. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

lamerunner

What is with the ferret... now in CNY's avatar! I think I missed the joke..  I  have no idea how to make an avatar, but my son's bearded dragon is kind of cool looking.

I don't run with an iPod either. Not safe.... Smile

dg.

What is with the ferret... now in CNY's avatar! I think I missed the joke..  I  have no idea how to make an avatar, but my son's bearded dragon is kind of cool looking.

I don't run with an iPod either. Not safe.... Smile

I used my brother's bearded dragon on KR.  : )  

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Running with music is fine as long as the volume is not too high to mask the surroundings.

3.3 miles at 9:08 pace = (2 min walk at 13 pace + 8 min run at 8:30)x3

An hour of pool running yesterday.  Leg is much better but not 100% yet.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

I look my best blurry!

Speaking of Western Mass, JT just came up on my shuffle singing "Sweet Baby James" along with Carole King.

I am going to see them both in concert this month.  I went to UNC for PT school and I just love James Taylor!  Carolina on My MInd! 

wildchild

Carolyn

Perch, I think I missed what happened to your leg this time. Same problem as last time, before Boston?

I don't carry a cell phone on runs.  I get no reception at home or on the mountain trails.  Don't any of you live or run in areas without cell phone coverage? I guess I'd get reception on the trails near work, but I run there at lunchtime and there are always people around.

I've also never run with an ipod, as I've never owned one, but yesterday my DD got a brand new ipod from her grandparents for a graduation gift, and I've inherited her old one.  I may try it, but on low volume or with one ear bud.

Vista, you've had your running shoes for 25 years? 

Karin, I love the ferret! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

yes.. same issue. Hip/Piroformis/sciatia is now just a spot near the hamstring

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Quick post for me I have a movie date with my DW.

3 miles of tired tonight. I think maybe its time to readjust my diet. I have been on a big push to lose a few pounds and my calories have been way to low but I managed 6 pounds so not all bad. I think I will level back off for a few weeks and then push for the last 6. That will get me back to my fighting wieght.

All this PF talk gives me the heebie jeebies!  I had a bad case of that years ago and it still haunts me.

Vista,

Those shoes would have fallen off my feet by now. How do you get any upper foot support? My feet would be screaming but then I have all kinds of foot issues so I rotate the tires often.

Does anybody else think wannabes' avitar looks like CNY? I keep thinking its her posting until I start reading.

Oh thats better a squirrel eating ferret. Sorry Stumpy I think she is out for blood.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down