Masters Running

We are Blessed - Sunday (Read 437 times)

King of PhotoShop

Good decision Tall.  I remember a time when you would have gutted it through, and to what end?  You did well. Go back and fight another day.

5 pain-free miles today, so I declare myself free of back problems.  Ran just enough to be sure I was okay and called it a day.  The Saint however ran 15, her longest run ever.  Very proud of her.  Spareribs

Hill Runner

Good morning gang,

Tall, sorry about your DNF. I remember you mentioning that you had a problem a couple of days before the race. You are smart to recognize when it was time to throw in the towel and not seriously injure yourself.

Bill, congrats on finishing another marathon. From the photo it looks like you had a fun time there meeting everyone.

Nancy, way to go on the Ultra.

No run for me today. I had some yard work to do and got it in between the rain drops.......
      We have a graduation party to go to in about an hour..got to shower up and get ready.

Good runs everyone.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

The Saint!

15 miles!

Longest run ever!

Huzzah!

Oh, and hip hip hooray for Spareribs's back being back.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

good afternoon all.  And Happy Indy to all the gearheads (I think it just started). 

A very late start for me today.  We had thunderstorms early this morning, so I ended up on the couch downstairs comforting Max the sissy dog about 6am.  Managed to fall asleep and passed when I woke up at 7and it was still raining.  Fell back asleep and all the sudden it was 8:30.  Got up very groggy and got everything together and out the door by 9.  Already humid from the rain, so a good sweat fest at 66F.

Still showing slow improvement.

3.2 Mi 32:53.38 PACE 10:17 AHR 103 MAX 131

(I guess what used to paste as text, now comes in as a table)

I got my electrode gel in the mail yesterday and tried it out this morning.  still not great for the first mile, but very stable thereafter.  Hope this works consistently, as I like seeing faster pace at the same HR improvement.

I also got a lady's heart rate up unintentionally while she was walking in front of me.  About 10-15 feet behind her, I said "excuse me on the right" and she shrieked and jumped and scared the crap out of ME.  I apologized and said "that was what I was trying to avoid"  Guess my work on light footsteps is working, but sorry to surprise her so badly

Good race to Bill and Mari.  and condolences to Tall, but congratulations on a good choice.  I think some mere mortals might have been able to keep going, but I think you run so hard you have a much greater chance of really hurting yourself.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

22.05 miles for me today, with miles 9-14 at (8:41, 8:37, 8:43, 8:38, 8:40, 8:46), average pace 9:30 for the running parts, not counting about 6 stops at water fountains/ portopotties. 

I slept in a little later, and started out AFTER sun-up for a change, trying to get acclimated to rising temps and blazing sun.  It was 69° when I started out and 76° when I finished, and the last few miles were tough, tough, tough – quite the mental battle.  I can hardly imagine running 10 MORE miles in the heat. (It'd be tough enough in the cold.)

Tall – rough to DNF, but a wise decision.  You definitely don’t want to be out of commission for the whole running season.  We all know what we put our bodies through with marathons and training for them, and really, come race day, it’s all a crapshoot, since so many things can put your race awry. 

Mariposai -  congratulations, Ultra Goddess!!

The Saint - congratulations on your longest run ever!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

What's with the black and grey fonts?  No rhyme or reason?

Mariposai - what a sneaky one you are, doing a 50K without telling us first.  Awesome!

Tall - sounded like a good decision.  Sorry about your friend.

Stumpy - those are pretty low HR's.  Glad it is getting easier.

I got spooked by a big old dog that suddenly came out of the bushes beside me.  For a microsecond I thought it was a bear.  My kids think it's odd that there is a big bear on their vitamin bottle with two kids hugging the bear.  At least they know bears aren't actually big friendly cuddly things, or maybe they are?

Holly nice long run, in the heat.

It was another perfectly amazing beautiful day, 53F, sunny.  Did 4 miles.  Did two of those miles without stopping, so a small achievement there, and my legs felt stronger the whole time than two days ago.  10:40 pace, last 1/2 mile at 9:30.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

breger, I'm sorry you didn't get that BQ but pleased  that you ran a fast marathon and are happy with it.  mariposai and srlopez, congrats on your ultras.  SLO, congratulations to your daughter on her graduation.  Tall, I'm sorry to hear about your DNF but commend you on your wisdom. 

Nice long runs for Peter, marathon derrick, buehrle, Tammy, PDR, Tramps, WRFB, The Saint (longest ever), and Holly.

This morning, it was in the mid 50s with a little wind.  I got in 5 miles, before church, in a little under 47:30 for a 9:26 pace.  Just as I got home, my wife was heading out for a 2 mile walk so I joined her.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

I DID IT!!!  My 1st tri!!  Felt great and finished strong!!  Have no idea of my times right now -- still waiting for them to be posted on cool running but I know my run was about a 28 minute 3 mile which was just fine with me!!

Byll -- congrats on your sub 4 hour marathon - i know you wanted to BQ but i am in awe of that time!!

Tall -- sorry to hear about the DNF for you and your partner -- sounds like a wise decision tho and hopefully tne recovery will be so much quicker for it!!

Mariposai -- an accidental ultra??  you are amazing!!  Congrats SRL!!

awesome long runs out there -- The Saint, Holly, Lou, Tramps and anyway else i may have missed!!

denise

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congrats to the Saint!  I hope to get there some day.

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing a lot of gray font.  It's making me a little dizzy!

My 14th straight day of running.  I am having such a blast.  Today the rain had just stopped, and the sun came out in fully force.  Damp coolness was coming off the pavement, and the sun was beating down warmly. There was also a light breeze.  It was a combination of goose bumps and warmth that I've never experienced before.  I literally had to MAKE myself stop after just one mile, because I don't want to push it.  I'm also running in a local 5k race tomorrow.  I'm hoping my short run will be a good jumpstart for that!

Happy Memorial Day!  Just about my favorite time of year in Maine.

Slo

Deez4boyz CONGRATS......Share the details !

Tall, sorry to hear about the DNF. I'm sure we'll witness another PR though.

Just back from my DD#1 Graduation ceremony. Here she is with my Most Beautiful Wife. My shirt buttons are a little tight right now. And I'm a lucky man !

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Slo, what beautiful "girls" you have, and what a gorgeous photo!  Definitely one that should be framed and hung up on the wall. Congratulations!!

Jlynne

Slo - beautiful picture today. I can certainly see where your daughter gets her good looks!

Tall - my heart aches for you but you made a good decision. We all know how hard you trained for this marathon. It was too bad to hear about Liz. Is she feeling better now?

Lots of great runs today. Holly - I'm like you and would rather run in colder temperatures than heat. Much easier to adjust.

DS#2 was home from the Navy for a long weekend. We haven't seen him since Thanksgiving and it's been great having him home. He leaves tomorrow morning, and we have no idea when we'll see him again, as he hasn't gotten his permanent orders yet.

I ran a 4 mile race this morning - just a small, local thing. I did okay. 34:13 for time, 3rd in my age group, and I felt strong all the way as opposed to my half marathon last weekend. What a difference a week makes...

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats to Mari and Robert on your ultras yesterday, and to Byll on your fine marathon, despite not getting that BQ.  

Tall,
                            sorry to hear you DNF'd but good decision to stop and not risk further injury. And sorry your friend Liz had a bad day too - they happen sometimes despite all our planning and training.

PDR, WRFB, Holly, and Tramps, nice long runs in the H&H - you guys are tough!

Denise
                            , Yay for doing your first Tri!  

Teresa, congrats on 14 days in a row and good luck on your 5K tomorrow - are any of your other family members running it with you?

SloHand, what a beautiful pic of your wife and daughter!

Jlynne, how nice to have your son home for the weekend. And congrats on your 3rd in AG win, and speedy racing.

I ran 12.2 miles today, in several parts. First, 4 miles with the dogs, untimed.  Then after a very brief stop at home, back out for another 7.3, but I got caught in a thunderstorm at about mile 6 and stopped at a neighbor's house to call for a ride home, but they weren't there so I just waited out the lightning on their front porch.  I was totally soaked but it was kinda fun (except for the lightning part).  Then DD and I went to pick up her friend, and she dropped me off at the top of the hill on the way home so I could get another 0..9 miles in, to make 30 for the week. OK, I kinda cheated, doing the last  0.9 downhill, but according to Mr. Garmin, I'd already done 3,300 ft of elevation gain/loss today so I deserved a good 300 ft downhill run.   (and I'd already gone up and over said 300 ft hill twice today, once with the dogs and once on my 2nd lap.) Yeah, it's kinda hilly around here.  Actually mountainous is a better word.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Jlynne, that's great your son is home!  Tell him "Thanks!" for me.  What a good thing he is doing.

Carolyn, great running!  I can't imagine that kind of elevation change in one week.  I won't complain about our rolling hills anymore!  I asked DD11 if she wanted to run the race tomorrow, and she said OK!  Well, I have to admit that I bribed her with the promise of breakfast afterwards, but whatever it takes!  I told her that if she ever wants to make me happy, just run a race with me!  It's one of my favorite things in life.

Tall -live to fight another day, just be careful with that maturing

deez-Way to go!

SLO- What a great picture and a proud day.

For me 5 easy with DW.