Masters Running

Whensday, 10.5.16 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Good run/walk yesterday, RCG. We can work on racewalking any time you're ready.

Hally's in the house!! Forget about that recapping stuff - nobody does that anymore...  Hmmm - how long is a pound of hair?

Nice cool, crisp, low HR 6-miler, Leslie. Regarding LHR workouts - there is a lot to be said for not feeling beat up after a workout!

Good breezy 6er for you, Aamos. I'm glad you'll only be fringed by Matthew (the other Matthew). Come for a meet-up at the Seacoast Half any time! We've got a guest house, a guest room, and a pull-out couch... Thanks for the poetry intro - good stuff.

Tet, you should know that how you did in yesterday's sloggy, unsunny 5-mile-mute is no indication of how you'll do on Sunday in the glow of friendship. So just relax and enjoy. thanks for the bridge shot - looks intimidating from the bottom of the hill.

Nice 8-mile in the breaking clouds, TwoCat. Are you sure you can't come to Boston on Sunday??

Starr, hills make a race interesting by offering challenges and opportunities within the race.

Nice 5-miler, Holly. And there is A LOT in there, with or without the 4" of hair. We used Uber all the time at our conf. in San Antonio in May, and it was easy and excellent.

Nothing does the trick like a deep massage, Jlynne - I hope you can get in soon. And I hope you got your nap after that long day in the school kitchen.

Good 8 miles with trails and gravel and strides, Enke. Psst - you ARE a runner!

Nice 12er with a friend, WC.

LaT, how did you do laundry while running 3.5???

Haller - Ouch! I hope your foot is OK! It would be great if you could make it to a meet-up.

Mariposai, I'm with Tet - there's no fat there.

I woke up early this morning, but I had slept well, so it was OK. I went out in 45F dry and breezy temps (l/s shirt and light gloves) for 7.6 RW miles of mile fartleks (or would they be intervals?). I like it when I can get the feeling of my feet just dancing and skipping down the road, and I was there in the quick miles this morning. I worked hard, but I had fun too, so all is good.

Have a greta Whensday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I woke up early this morning, but I had slept well, so it was OK. I went out in 45F dry and breezy temps (l/s shirt and light gloves) for 7.6 RW miles of mile fartleks (or would they be intervals?). I like it when I can get the feeling of my feet just dancing and skipping down the road, and I was there in the quick miles this morning. I worked hard, but I had fun too, so all is good.

Have a greta Whensday!

Jay

That comment is useless without video  But I also think it's probably not legal RWing form.

On the running front, i didn't.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - sounds like an awesome RW!

No run for me today, pool day instead - 32 lengths (16 laps).  I am still resting at the edge of the pool at the end of every length, but the rests are getting shorter and the swimming is getting easier, and I am beginning to work on my form, rather than just struggle across the pool.  I am trying to make this a habit now, while the weather is fine, because I know as it gets colder it will get harder to get out the door and into a pool.

Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning good people! I always enjoy reading Jay's posts.  His recaps are great, but the descriptions of some of his workouts make you just want to smile and be in his "happy place" too. Let's hear it for dancing feet today!

Hey Kevin - how's that foot that's causing you so much grief?

Holly - how do you possibly get all of your hair shoved under a swim cap? Or don't you wear one? Holy Moses - that must be hard! The Y here keeps their temps in the pool around 85° year-round. So while it's a lot more comfortable jumping in when the weather is warm, once you're in and start swimming, you're usually ok. The trick is getting from the locker room to the pool and back without freezing your tush off! Nice work today. When do you leave for Portland?

I went and got a massage last night. It hurt so bad it felt good! After an hour of working on my shoulders, quads and IT band I felt so much better. Wish I could afford to do that every week   6 miles at Jay o'clock in unbelievable 64° temps. The weather people are predicting our first frost Friday night. And I'm running a half marathon relay at 7:00 Saturday morning.  Might have to bring out the gloves and a hat for this one!

Happy Hump Day everyone.

mrrun

Good morning all!

We've run away for a couple of days to Ogunquit, so I ran this morning along Marginal Walk and then the beach- same temps & clothing as Jay, but my gloves came off after about 15 minutes.  The sun is glorious, the leaves are changing, and we also have the dancing &skipping feet feeling - figuratively if not literally!

marj

MTA: Maine, for folks who don't know

King of PhotoShop

Just a quick update since I don't post my runs on FB any more. I have a good friend in my town. He and his wife are great people and very popular in the local running community.  A couple of months ago they were out to dinner with another couple we know and after they got home he got violently sick to his stomach.  They called the other couple and asked if they had had any food poisoning symptoms, which they did not.

But he remained sick and went to the hospital where he was diagnosed as having a lot of fluid around his heart and the pressure was causing him pain.  They admitted him, treated it and sent him home but he was still having problems, and the day I had my stents put in, he and his wife had an appointment at the Baylor heart hospital.  They stopped in to visit me on their way to their own appointment.

We learned the next day that he was diagnosed with sarcoma, a cancer in the tissue surrounding the heart.  It is inoperable but not untreatable and they are now going to M.D. Anderson in Houston for chemo/radiation over the next weeks or months.

Now here I am feeling like I've risen from the dead and having a ball getting back in shape.  Three weeks after I got out of the hospital I ran 3 miles continuously.  Today I did 4 miles, of which three were running at about 10:30 pace (.25 walk, .75 jog) and every day my legs are getting in better shape and my breathing is better.  I'm in heaven.   Of course my friends are on FB and it wouldn't be right to crow about how well I'm doing while he is going through these serious heart problems, so I thought I would update you here.  I would rather be back where I was before this procedure if only he were well and healthy again.  What a sad thing.  F'ing cancer!  Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

Aw Ribs, that's a shame.  A character in a book I just finished commented about how we all seem to worry a good bit about threats and evils that will kill us when what ultimately gets most of us is inside us.  It's good to know you are improving so rapidly; don't be a stranger here, our chum!

Yes, we need's Jay's (and marj and henry's) happy pace today, don't we?  And Holly's lightness of being, now that she's shed 5 lbs, at least.  Get back in here hally, no recapping necessary.

Love the bridge shot, tet.  I'm a bridge girl, after all.

My usual six in some partly cloudy and pleasant conditions.

Sent along your RR to DH as he works with a young fellow quite dedicated to Tough Mudders, Jlynne.

I knew some runners in Maniacs who used the Mappetone method with great success.

grins,

A

ps: Image result for tie a poem to a chair

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Spareribs. If only we could actually share our friends' burdens. Not figuratively but, literally. We could spread the pain around and we would all share just a small piece instead of one guy carrying the entire load. Alas, we are merely human and must honor those suffering by squeezing every ounce of joy out of our brief lives.

Yesterday I saw the rheumatologist (it took me 3 months to get the appointment). She told me that I have no rheumatological diseases. She believes I do not have Lyme disease. She thinks I had some sort of pathogen that was tamed by the doxycycline I took for 28 days. So. Since I do feel better but, still have lingering joint pain, I will consider this a very good thing. And if I compare it to what Spareribs and his friend have been through, I have nothing to complain about.

The best thing about yesterday's appointment is this. I told Dr. Rheumatologist that I have started running again even though Dr. Ortho.has not granted me permission. She asked, "How is it going?"  I said, "Great". She said, "Good. Keep running. Running is good for your joints contrary to what a lot of folks think."

Amen.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

TammyinGP

Ribs - I'm so sorry to hear of this with your friend. how awful to get that news when they probably only figured it was bad food. i hope his treatments are successful.

I'm very pleased to hear of your return to running and feeling better and stronger all the time!

Yesterday afternoon was the Pre-Conference Districts for our team. They did so well. I had 14 athletes and 10 of them had PR's (some were significant PR's also!), and 1 SR.  So proud of how well they did. Us coaches are taking them out for pizza next Friday. That was their reward if they PR'd, so of course, that was the team chant and motivational phrase "Pizza Pizza Pizza!!" all afternoon.  But little did they know then that we are running the 2 miles to the pizza place, eating pizza, and then running back to the school. And here they thought they'd be getting out of a practice! ha!

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Ribs - how awful for your friend!  Glad you are doing well, though.

Jlynne - I have been wearing my hair in a braid so far, but am thinking about getting a swim cap.  Does it keep your hair relatively dry?  That would make it easier to go out in the cold afterward to get home in the winter.

Amy - alas, I am apparently not losing any weight.  My eating is keeping up with my workouts.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

StarrRuns just think of how good it will feel to go down the downhill part after the uphill part! Although, I have to say around here that course would be considered pretty flat.

Holly S. light but no doubt you look very cool! 

Jlynne I suspect your feet figured what you had planned for them yesterday and just  tried to talk you out of it with their morning complaints.

enkephalin "No running in the rain!"©

wildchild if my expression would keep zombies away maybe it is not all bad!  Also, compared to where you run anything short of the Himalayas looks flat!

La Tortuga keep your fingers crossed that himicane (get it him-i-cane . <<Editor: Yes they go it. No it was not funny in sixth grade and it is not funny now.  Twocat slinks away.>>  Ahem, yes that hurricane Matthew does not  change from its predicted course and run up the east coast. If it stays out to sea you will have good race weather.

hallar that must have really hurt! I hope you heal up fast.

hally glad to see you posting here again!

Mariposai as Rosie would say, why run when you can ride? Just strategically cut course . . . 

coastwalker and mrrun the reason you need to dance and skip down the road to get any feeling in your feet is that it is getting COLD out. Not that you are happy. It is bloody cold! 

Spareribs so sorry to read about your friend. Yes, cancer is awful. Took my dad. I hope your friend's can be cured with today's treatments.

AamosY only here would a 6 mile run count as "usual" with a dismissive wave. In real life land, people think that running 3+ miles is heroic!

buehrle whatever you had I sure hope the past tense is what it deserves and you keep improving.

TammyinGP nice thing about kids, cheap to motivate!

I did my medium long run for the week today, 14 miles. Tomorrow morning it will be 6 with my former training partner.

There are some marathons I am considering. Anyone else going to one or live near one of them and might want to get together?

11/5/16 Indianapolis Monumental Marathon, Indianapolis IN
                        11/6/16 St. Mary's Medical Center 3rd Marshall University Marathon, Huntington WV
                        11/13/16 Gobbler Grind Marathon, Overland Park KS

The last one is a long shot since going to it means not going to watch my SIL take her dogs to the national dog trials. I know Jlynne earlier promoted 11/12/16 Anthem Richmond Marathon, Richmond VA as an option but it has the same problem the KS one has. Plus, I am trying to do different states for each marathon and I am not sure what state the Marine Corps Marathon counts as. (If DC is one then that makes the 50 staters 51 staters or something like that.)

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Sayhey! MM#130

On the Matthew front: just got the memo.  DOR offices in 26 counties (out of 67) closed tomorrow and Friday. Not here.  One (Hendry) is next to us and contains a field office of ours in a town called Clewiston.    Space Coast is looking like the focal point.  And then onto South Carolina, sorry to say......

Rosie, what's it look like for you??

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

The last one is a long shot since going to it means not going to watch my SIL take her dogs to the national dog trials. I know Jlynne earlier promoted 11/12/16 Anthem Richmond Marathon, Richmond VA as an option but it has the same problem the KS one has. Plus, I am trying to do different states for each marathon and I am not sure what state the Marine Corps Marathon counts as. (If DC is one then that makes the 50 staters 51 staters or something like that.)

No no! I mentioned the Madison, Wisconsin marathon on November 13. It's a Boston qualifier and I hear the course is terrific.  And I'm pretty sure you've never done a marathon in Wisconsin, right? Though if you don't like temps below 35° it could get tricky

Never had much luck keeping my hair dry with a swim cap Holly. It was more to keep all of that nasty chlorine out of my hair. But now I have no hair so it doesn't really matter.

Ribs, I'm so sorry about your friend. I hope the treatments will give him some pain-free days.

Hi Aamos! Watch out for Hurricane Matthew, ok?

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

It was me!  Me!  I am the one who promoted Richmond but, MCM is mostly Virginia so NEVERMIND. Ralph ran the Kansas marathon you mentioned. The medal is the size of a serving platter.  I did not join him on that trip. Sorry Kansas!  In fact, Ralph flew in the day before, ran the race the next morning and flew home that same evening!

As for Hurricane TwoCat... Aamos, currently we look like we will be spared. However, DD and DSIL were planning an anniversary trip to Charleston this weekend... uh oh...

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Jay danced in the streets this morning, Amy is quoting Billy Collins, Twocat is sending us a good weather report, ... and on it goes

Another day of running while doing laundry - why not? Did some hill work - 4 miles, meaning 2 up and 2 down, well the up and down were not all at once, meaning it wasn't just one great big hill - you know?

Himicane is just as funny as me saying "what's that under THERE" - gets a laugh every time

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx