Masters Running

Race Reports for the weekend of May 5&6 (Read 35 times)

Mariposai

This weekend's racers:

05/06 evanflein - Chena River Run 5k

05/06 coastwalker - Children's Museum 5K, Dover, NH

05/06 TammyinGP - Bridge Run 5K, Grants Pass, OR

05/06 Opie - No Child Wet Behind 5k, Las Cruces, NM

05/06 spinach - Lake Minnewaska Warmup 10k

05/07 Mariposai - Bloomsday, Spokane, WA

05/07 rochrunner - Invest in Yourself 5K, Omaha, NE

05/07 Ileneforward - OC Marathon, Newport Beach CA

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

pfriese

El Reno Fried Onion Burger 5K Bun Run.

Recovery from Sunday's marathon was going so well that I decided yesterday to run this race over in the county seat. Small race so a bit of cherry-pickin' on my part. It was a beautiful morning for a 5K, too. I arrived early to register so had time to run the course before the race as a warm up. A nice course starting at the football stadium then running up to the town lake to the turn-around then back downhill to finish. That's always a nice 5K setup. Very small race with on 73 runners, only knew a couple of the younger runners and didn't see many old geezers. Anyways, race started with a jackrabbit start by a lot of younger kids. I passed all but 2 of them by the 1K mark from there on I only had 7 runners in front of me. By the turn around I had reeled 2 of them in and was in 5th place. Over the return to the stadium, I tried to catch the 4th place runner but that 14 year old was not going to let me pass and put on a burst of speed for the last 1/2 mile.

So, I ended up with a 22:45 which was good for 1st AG (I was only one in my AG though) & 5th OA (5/73).

Garmin splits:

Mile 1 - 7:20

Mile 2 - 7:12

Mile 3 - 7:01

Mile 3.1 - 6:46

I was pleased with my race being only 1 week out from the marathon.

Paul

coastwalker

Children's Museum 5K, Dover, NH.

Fashion report: black compression shorts with orange side stripes, purple shirt, orange cap, and my black Topo ST-2 shoes. I got to the 5K early this morning because I also had a volunteer stint before the race. There was a light rain all morning, and it was about 50°.

Because of my still-not-completely-healed damnstring, I committed to taking it easy today. About 15 minutes before the start, I went to the massage tent, and Dr. Brown spent a few minutes loosening up my damnstring. It felt so much better when she was done! After the start I tucked in behind another racewalker I knew (Hank), and hung back, about 5 yards behind him through the first mile. Then I caught up to him, but we still stayed together through mile 2. After that, I started to open up a bit. I was feeling good, and so kept pushing through to the finish. My first 2 miles splits, with Hank, were 11:32 and 11:27. Mile 3 (when I left him) was 10:45, and I did the last .15 at a 9:58 pace. This was my slowest 5K since 2004, right after I started racewalking. But it was good enough to win the walking division today, and I earned a lobster dinner for 2 at a local seafood restaurant.

Thanks,

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Since I'm on a streak of sorts, thought this would be a good time to reenter the world of shameless bragging by way of a RR.  Last weekend as you saw I had a great OKC Marathon relay run with a 10k PR of 52:04.  I knew it could come because I have a great coach, Neely Spence Gracey, who saw me achieve 6 mi in 50:58 last summer at the Wild Rogue Relay.  Footnote on using Garmin data-inconsistent!  The same data from WRR shows me running 6.1 mi in 51:37 on this log and 6 mi in 50:58 on my coach's Final Surge log.  Anyway, back to the OKC Marathon.  Our 2nd runner with a 5k leg ran really fast but then we had some slower runners.  This event is so special with so many memories.  At the top of the list is the time I had the honor of being a team captain (with Paul on it) and we won our division with a big trophy!

6 days later...No Child Wet Behind 5k back in Las Cruces

Less oxygen due to being 3,000 ft higher.  71 degrees at the start.  My mantra was SEE (Smile, Ease into it and Enjoy).  I kept it in mind but my breathing was very hard. I was in 2nd place for quite a while but then a kid came out of nowhere and passed me like I was standing still. The winner was a guy in his 20's who ran a 22:36 (only in a charity run!). The kid who passed me and got 2nd was about 25 min. There were no AG awards so if I hadn't beat the guy about 20 sec behind me, I wouldn't have got an award!  My time was slow, about 26 min, and would have been faster but I came down with a case of the dreaded dry heaves at mi 2.6.  Paul probably knows better than anyone how often that's happened to me in 5k's.  I remembered my mantra and it got me moving again, feeling normal, but I was hoping I could stay calm throughout the race.

I was doing my cool down, crossing back over the Rio Grande (it's not the border here), when I heard the announcer call my name!  I had my phone with me then so I could get a picture of the awards ceremony, and I sped up but then it fell out of my pocket.  Luckily I didn't crack the screen but I don't have a case on it and it's a little beat up like its owner.  I tentatively approached the volunteers handling the awards and picked up my prize, coffee from a local shop.  They repeated the announcement for me and I got some polite applause.  None of my friends were there and I know they would have been whooping it up!

Thanks for letting me pop back in for this.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow - sounds like all three of you did awesome and won an award today - way to go!

Paul - I am always afraid to do speedwork right after a marathon that I might tear something, but you did just fine, better than fine even!

Jay - how is the damstring holding up now?

Opie - No Child Wet Behind - sponsored by a diaper company?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

spinach

I ran the 10k at Lake Minnewaska. It was a beautiful day, ideal running weather. The temperature was in the mid 40s at the start and we had no wind for the race and a flat course, as to be expected in Minnesota.The race went well, my time was 41:19, my best 10k time in a couple years. I went out too fast with a 6:09 first mile and my 5k split was 19:50, again those were my best times for those distances in a couple years also.  So maybe I am getting back in shape.

My big decision is whether i should run the Wobegon Marathon next weekend. I hurt my knee last summer and had a couple surgeries in the fall semester and the Half Marathon I did two weeks ago was my only run since July longer than 8 miles. So I am not in shape for a marathon race but it is a marathon put by my running club and this is the tenth year of it and I finished second in the race the first year. So I may run it as an easy long run, if i can convince myself to take it easy and not try to race it. That may be difficult (impossible) and so maybe i won't run it.

I am now at 182 consecutive months with a race.

spacityrunner

Nice reports and wins everyone

Spinach:  my 2 pennies worth...don't do it if you can't just take it easy.  It hard to give up a race with meaning, but you want to run more, and if you hurt yourself you will be running less (says the chickie that hurts herself all.the.time) Maybe you can volunteer at the race.

Trails Rock!

Opie - No Child Wet Behind - sponsored by a diaper company?

Fundraiser for non-profit that helps struggling families with diapers.  Also some people brought diapers for $5 off their race entry.  This is a very poor area so I'm sure it will help!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

TammyinGP

Ran a local 5K today. it's the same one that Skip ran with us a number of years ago when he was visiting. 

I'm so not a 5K runner. I just don't have the speed, probably because i don't work on it, but over the course of this next month, I do plan on doing some speedwork to get ready for the relay. 

This race is pretty small, maybe 35 or so in the 5k with lots of families and small kids that do the 2 mile fun run. I finished in 29:16.

splits were: 9.19, 9.47, 9.31. Not sure on AG placement but I didn't place top 3. maybe results will be up later this weekend.

But I did win a sweet door prize. They actually gave away good prizes - probably best ever at a race. FitBit, Apple Ipod touch, movie tickets, coffee cards, passes to the horse races, spa facial, spa massage, restaurant gift cards and I won a basket of Cary's of Oregon toffees, probably about $50+ worth. That Fitbit sure would have been cool though. 

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Spinach:  my 2 pennies worth...don't do it if you can't just take it easy.  It hard to give up a race with meaning, but you want to run more, and if you hurt yourself you will be running less (says the chickie that hurts herself all.the.time) Maybe you can volunteer at the race.

I agree.  We are just entering the lovely running weather - not the time to get injured.  Speedy race!

Tammy - well done, and cool door prizes!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Nice racing everybody!

Tramps

Paul--I'm not so sure racing a 5K one week out from a marathon is a great idea, no matter how good you're feeling.  But...sounds like you handled it well.  Congrats on the AG win.

Jay--lobster dinner for two!  Wow, your awards are way better than ours.  Congrats.

Opie--good to hear from you.  Glad you're doing so well.

Spinach--that's a speedy 10K, congrats. Be careful with the marathon, if you decide to do it.  Run/walk maybe?  You're not racing, just "doing it," or "participating."  It's not worth the long-term injury risk otherwise.

Tammy--another person with great prizes (see Jay)! If you can afford it, 5K's are a great way to do speed work.  Nice effort.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

Nice racing everybody!

+1

(How's that for lazy?)

pfriese

Great reports & racing everyone.

Nope, you're probably right Holly S.Tramps, not a good idea. Smile

Paul

Mariposai

The 2017 Bloomsday race was the 7th consecutive year that Posie Family had re

Here we are at the starting line.

presentation at the race. This was the 3rd time that the 4 of us were able to be there together. Bloomsday is the biggest short distance race in the country, with over 35,000 participants this year.

This year we missed our pal, Tetsujin, who had joined the family in the last 2 years that the whole clan was together.

The race is a 12k plus mile race. It is hard to actually do any running until about mile 2 because of the amount of participants, which like Boston, are sent out by corral color. We all started together as a family, but before mile 1 the Easy Pacer started to running faster, indicating that he had a race goal in mind. The two Posie sons and I hang out together for the next 2 miles, then son Daniel started running faster, to I decided to forgo my race goals and opted to just let my son David lead the pace. We had a great adventure, ran doomsday hill the whole way and we finished the race together. A memorable race for Posie Mama. As for the Easy Pacer, he finished 5' ahead of us. Son Daniel had some issues and finished about 2 minutes behind David and I. All in all, we had a terrific family adventure. Another race memory to keep in our heart's treasure chest.

The happy finishers.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard