Masters Running

Race Reports for the weekend of May 20-21 (Read 28 times)

Mariposai

Upcoming May 20 & 21 Racers:

05/20 spinach - Wag Walk and Run 5k , Eden Prairie MN

05/20 pfriese - Run 4 Air 5K, Mustang OK

05/20 SubDood Superior Spring Trail Race 25k, Lutsen, MN (Superior Hiking Trail)

05/21 rochrunner - Back to the Beach Trail 10K, Stony Creek, MI

Enjoy your race, take pictures and come back to tell us all about it!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

pfriese

Beautiful morning for a race; 55 degrees, partly cloudy, & a light breeze. The race start was only 1.5 miles from my house which made for a perfect warm-up run distance. I got all checked in & visited with a few friends before the start. The course is through the park that I do most of my weekday runs through, so I knew all the turn, hills, & potholes ahead of time. I finished with a 22:45, 1AG, & 7OA. Then ran back home.

Paul

Mike E

MM #5615

Nice job, Paul.  You are really running well.  Congratulations!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nothing like home field advantage, Paul.  Very nice time!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

spinach

We ran in a pouring rain this morning. All six legs of Archie and me were soaked. It was a fun race and we won it. The Wag Walk and Run 5k in Eden Prairie we ran it in 21:02. I got a medal and Archie got a leash that says he was the winner of the 2017 Race.  A fun morning even though it was pouring. Now i have won at least one race every year for ten years.  This is good so now i can relax for the rest of the year.

Mike E

MM #5615

Wow.  Nice job spinach!

pfriese

Nice race spinach & Archie. Nice bling for Archie, too. Congrats to both of you.

SubDood

I ran the Superior Spring Trail Race 25K. The course intimidated me:

"The Superior 25KM and 50KM Trail Races are extremely hilly, rugged and technical out-and-back (100% trail) trail-races which traverse the Sawtooth Mountain Range on the Superior Hiking Trail in the far reaches of northern Minnesota .  The course parallels Lake Superior,  climbs to near 2000′ peaks with breath-taking vistas of the lake and crosses whitewater rivers and serene streams."

I had high hopes, though. Hills and mud are my friends, I told myself. And things went well on the "out" portion of the out-and-back course. And since I could see the front runners coming back, I could see that there were only about 10 runners ahead of me. At the turnaround, I felt great and passed 4 or 5 runners that slowed at the aid station. I got cocky and went a bit fast on a downhill. I turned my left ankle HARD! I think I heard a pop and then I let out a yell. I SHOULD HAVE turned around and gotten someone at the aid station to help me back. But I'm stupid and stubborn. I ended up walking the last 7 miles, hobbling in to the finish. Here are my shoes after the race:

Shoes

I finished 59th out of 299. I will definitely be back.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Quite impressive shoes   And hope the ankle is not too bad after walking in.  You're probably not alone, with a bunch people around here that would do the same.

Archie is a pretty speedy hound. Pictures?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mrrun

great job to the two and four legged racers - and yes we need more pics!

impressive shoes

marj

Mariposai

great job to the two and four legged racers - and yes we need more pics!

impressive shoes

marj

I agree! What a great story! Nice job on the race.

Spinach, way to go with your win! You are one speedy runner

Paul, your training is paying off.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Back to the Beach 10K

This is a 10K run in conjunction with a half-marathon that I've done a couple of times in previous years, but didn't feel up to this year. Good thing, as it was cold and rainy this morning and it would have been an even tougher slog than usual. Still, even the 10K is not easy, as it's pretty much all trails, which of course were wet and muddy with a lot of ups and downs with rocks and tree roots being the major trip hazards. By the way, it's called "Back to the Beach" because it starts and ends at the beach pavilion at Stony Creek Metropark's big lake.

At least the temperature was not too bad -- upper 50s -- but it rained on and off for the whole time. Sometimes we were under heavy tree cover and mostly just caught the drips, but I was still pretty soaked by the end. The worst of the hills were in the first three miles, so once I passed that point I was able to step it up a bit.

Going into this, I had three main goals, all of which I met:

1) Don't fall. I ran without my glasses due to the rain and possible fogging, but made it without even a close call.

2) Run faster than my age. Again, I made it by running a 63:11, which was much better than I expected given the course and conditions (about 6 minutes slower than on a flat, clear course).

3) Place in my age group. I actually won my AG, but it was a bit of a disappointment since I was the only one in it (male 70-and-up). But I'll take credit for finishing 75th overall out of about 200. I was the oldest person in the race, so I think that's a pretty good placing.

No other races on my calendar right now and I plan to concentrate on biking for the next few weeks.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Nice running, Paul! You too spinach! You're both faster than I ever was.

And SubDood, your trail race was in a whole different league from what passes as a "tough trail" in these parts.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Amazing runs being posted here. Congratulations to you all. Smile

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Marathon Maniac #957

I finished with a 22:45, 1AG, & 7OA. Then ran back home.

Sweet!  And I love that you could run to and from the race!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."