Masters Running

Saturday 25 April Runs, etc. (Read 359 times)

An early, easy six for me this AM....I need to fetch the girls at 9. No other news. It's promising to be a beautiful, if warm, weekend here in the Hudson Valley....Hope you all have good runs, etc. WALT

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! 7 easy-paced miles for me today in a breezy 70°, including 3 trips up and down my hill at the end. I made an exciting discovery today. Although the high school track is locked up tight, the middle school has a cinder track around their football field that is open to the public. There are no lines painted on it, but these tracks are all pretty much regulation size, aren’t they? This is awesome in several ways: 1. I can do intervals there 2. Soft surface running for high mileage weeks or when I’m having aches and pains 3. Water fountains (sadly no open bathrooms, but there’s a gas station ½ mile away. 4. Stands on both sides that I can do stair laps on (I get so excited when I discover a new torturous activity). How cool is that?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning, Walt - thanks for starting. Yet another recovery run for me -- looking forward to running faster again -- trying to hold back and recover, though. 3.1 miles, 28:12, 9:01/mi, AHR 137 (70% MHR) MTA: that's very cool, Holly. I'm envious.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Good Morning! Welcome to New England where all 4 seasons appear in the same week---heavy frost just a few days ago and 29º in the mornings and today we'll see 85º. Never dull! How's Ellie Walt? Great find Holly! Take the time to recover WRFB...I know you will even when it's tempting to zoom now. 9.6 miles for me at 6:30 am-- 47º at the start and almost 53º as I trotted back up my street. 8:47 pace on a very hilly loop and all was well. Little League opening day today complete with a parade through town and a series of mini-games. I wanted to run longer today but I need to get to the parade. 5k race tomorrow (as a test of speed recovery) so just as well. (((((((Erika)))))))
            Good morning, Walt - thanks for starting. Yet another recovery run for me --
            Is that because you got hammered yesterday? And CNY: Ellie is spectacular: although she'll miss the rest of the school year, on Thursday we visited her kindergarten classroom and were floored by the reception....The whole elementary school had been awaiting her return and welcomed her with many hugs (her friends) and tears (every adult, bar none). Ellie was charmingly comfortable in the limelight. Thanks for asking.

Renee the dog

Good running Walt, WRFB, Holly and CNY! I somehow turned off my alarm overnight, but woke up around 6 ish. Sprinted around the house throwing on clothes, etc, never did find HRM. Renee and I got out and up to the boardwalk and it wasn't too busy at all, so we could stay on there. Decided since I did downhills just 12 hours previously, I'd blow off fartleks and just do a base pace run. That was probably wise as my outer ankle area was a cranky. Plans changed just after our turnaround on the boards when two snarling dogs who were not controlled well by their owner startled us as they were coming up a boardwalk ramp. All I know is they looked like all muscle and they had those tremendous choke collars on them, and they were winning against the owner. I yelled, "Fartlek" (trying to teach Renee each pace's real term) and we took off like a shot. Got enough distance between us and them in about 30 sec. and went back to base pace. Luckily the owner must have gotten a clue (or eaten by his dogs) 'cause in looking back, they never did come up on the boards. So, we did throw in another fartlek towards the end of the boards, then I decided we should run to the water so I could soak my ankle in the nice cold ocean water. Ditched my shoes as we reached the sand, ran across it, cut my toe on a buried shell, and survived the horribly cold ocean soak. Renee frolicked off leash and then we ran back to the house. Dear G*d my feet are tender after a winter of all shoes. I almost Cry the 2 lousy blocks of cement and macadam I had to cover to get home. 3 paragraphs of description for a 4 mi run. Sorry for running on so... Good runs to everyone today!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Hill Runner

Hi everyone! I'm finally back after some exhausting flights and delays on Thurs. into Friday AM. After Boston, I rented a car to drive down to NY to see my 94 y/o Mom. She's doing really well and we had a great time visiting the old neighborhoods in NY. On a connecting flight coming into Altanta we we diverted as there was some intense thunderstorm activity. One lightning strike hit the Atlanta Control tower...which had to be evacuated. We were diverted to Knoxville for a few hours 'til things calmed down...long story/short....it was a long trip home. 7.02 miles of hills @ 9:04 pace for my first run since Boston. Everything feels good and completely normal, What's better is that I'm still motivated to run and don't have that typical "letdown" feeling that comes after a marathon sometime. I'm ready for the next one which will probably be Thunder Road in Charlotte unless I find another one sooner & closer to home....Smile Karin, it was very cool meeting at the Expo! ...also very cool to meet everyone at Robin's Party. Good runnin' everyone...I'll file a report later tonight.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

dg.

good morning! Holly that is so cool!! Walt, I'm glad you get to fetch all of them. Karin I'm so glad you're better. Lou, i'm glad you're being careful. I've missed a lot.... have we heard from Peter & Sue since Boston? mta.... hi Peter! glad you're doing so well. Just 3 this morning for me, like last week... it's a newly added day, & newly added hills so I'm being careful. 3.2 miles, 9:38 av., 7:40 max. miles were 10:27, 9:31, 9:05 & a bit at 8:51. Was kind of funny, pretty typical paces for very different terrain. I guess we get wired a certain way? I also went out last night at about 8:00, for just 1 mile. I was thinking last night... (it happens).. if I can gradually work these hamstrings into liking my hilly neighborhood I could save so much time!! And even fit in more miles as I work up to them. My gym workout, including travel, ends up averaging 3 hours. I'm re-working my schedule in my head. ohboy. Smile. ((((Erika))))
                    Holly S. so now the truth comes out! You have been driving to the bottom of the hill by your house, doing your runs and driving back up! How else to explain the enthusiasm for the track stairs! Clowning around CNYrunner err, welcome to spring in the N.E. . . . Cool Conference day 2 for me today. Nice dinner on a boat trip along the river running through Austin (the Colorado?) that the conference sponsored last night. Very cool houses along the banks. But, it seemed to me living in one would be a bit like living in a fish bowl as everybody in a boat can, and will!, look in. While the boat was nice the day's highlight was a trip to an apparently famous barbecue place (Kreitz's?) yesterday with some friends of mine. Excellent grub and so good for you! Well, maybe not so good for you but it was great! It is a "market." You order the food by the pound! So two others in our group and me split an order of ham, brisket, ribs and sausage. Heaven! I wish I could go back. I also wish the place had one of those automated defibrillators around so that going back would be less risky. Smile DW should have gone to the local jogging club for a run today. I will need to check up on her later on. There is a gym here and I headed down this morning to do some time on the recombinant bike. Latter on I will get my lobotomy undone. Later all. Have a good set of runs.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

SteveP

8 months till Christmas Shocked

SteveP

My LSD this morning was 11.3 miles at what turned out to be a 10:05 pace, including a couple of walk breaks. Even though this was a rather hilly route, it seemed harder than it should have. At this point, and until I get my medication issues straightened out, I'll definitely have to take two full days off before any long runs. Yesterday was really only a semi-off day, as my DW and I picnicked in the afternoon and then hiked a few miles of trails with some significant hills. This was my first time on this route, and it was nice and scenic as it included some miles of rural dirt roads. I was a bit concerned about dogs, but it's become gentrified enough that all I saw were Labs and Goldens, and those breeds are more likely to knock you down with friendliness than anything else. By the time I got back to the parking area at the park, it was jammed full with everyone out walking, running, cycling, rollerblading, and generally enjoying a beautiful (and rare) Spring day. I hope the rest of you have such IRCs this weekend and always!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Some great runs this morning, Way to go guys and gals. Super hot day today, first of the year. For me it was 23 miles with the last 5k at increasing pace of 4:30, 4:25, 4:20, 4:15 and 4:10. Heat really got to me by the end.. Happy Liz and I got out early. Not many runners, more bikers, expect a crowd at Run for Reach tomorrow, our local race where I will spectate and cheer on the crew I coach. Tired and sore right now...ugh...now for a big big lunch. Good luck racers. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

King of PhotoShop

My last run was Thursday morning and then everything went crazy. I flew to Chicago and the filming of that video in a Jewel Osco store went from about 8 pm to 6 am on Friday. I never slept at all. Got home at 11 on Friday, took a 2-hour nap and then worked packet pickup for my club's race, the "Hound Dog Hustle." Early to bed last night. I was signed up to race today at the fiveK, but when I got to the race site they were short of help for finish line duties and asked if I would take one for the team. So I didn't race, and in fact didn't even run. So tomorrow I will either race somewhere or run long at the club. Fun event for me today was the award ceremony. This is a big race because we have the one mile fun run where people run or walk with their dogs. You wouldn't believe how many people sign up and pay money to do this. So the race announcer is up on the stage and during a break in the awards ceremony while they finish the women's results (the Saint volunteered and worked race results; proud of her), he asks if anyone wants to come on stage and have his dog do a trick and win a prize. I am paying no attention, and redraiderrunner says to me, "Isn't that riblet and Lucy up on the stage?" I look and sure enough there they are and all the crowd is applauding. I missed the trick but he came back all excited with his prize. Good for him. Imagine at 12 years old jumping up on stage like that. No idea where he gets that from. Holly, if that's an old cinder track, odds are it's 440 yards, or 1/4 of a mile, and that will work just fine for your interval work. Tall, nice workout. Spareribs
                            xor

Getting my long run in on Friday and having no races this weekend has really disoriented me this morning. The good news is that I've gotten lots of chores done. 2001 is on one of the Encore channels right now. Love the book. I've NEVER been able to pace myself for the movie. I realize it is kind of designed to be viewed by those in an altered state... and I'm not, except for the whole disorientation thing... we'll see if that helps. OR I'll give up on the whole thing and go for a run. Tobias doesn't have the patience for 2001 either. But the beagle seems to dig it.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

cool about Riblet and Lucy. 0528 70° F 10 miles

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."