Masters Running

Monday November 2--Rests, Runs, and the Rest (Read 420 times)

Tramps

Make-up Monday for me.  I did my rained-out "long" run.  15@8:19.  On weekdays, traffic gets heavy on my usual weekend route so I had to triple up on my 2.5 mile road.  A little boring but it worked.

Looking forward to reading some RR's later today.

Have a great week!

Be safe. Be kind.

3.5 slow recovery miles at 10 minute mile pace.  Average HR 124.

I asked Tinman if he'd be willing to help get me ready for a hilly Boston and thankfully he didn't drop me like a stone.  He did tell me to skip that maniac nonsense though, so I'll pass on that silliness (for now).

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Nonsensical maniac here Smile

3.1 miles, 28:37, 9:08/mi, AHR 130 (66% MHR)

For Boston -- try to save energy by trying to hold even splits even during the early downhills.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Morning, gang!

Tramps - nice make-up run!

dg and nono congrats on the 1000 mile milestones - long before the end of the year - yeah!

6.5 easy miles on the TM this morning @ 10:07 and 146 AHR.  Core and weights on the agenda for noon.  Time to emerge from slothdom.  It was sure nice to recoup that lost hour of sleep yesterday, but I don't like it that it will be dark when we get home now.  Bummer.  It will be light for the morning runs for awhile (provided that I can work up the impetus to hit the road in the cold).   I know I won't stick to my usual resolution to run outside all winter, so I'm amending it to making myself run outside at least once each week.  We'll see.........

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Slo

Way to go racers !

And what an awesome Marathon for CNY ! You Rock !

We managed to give my brother and his DW a 40th birthday they will never forget. It didn't take them too long to figure out they were being punk'd......They just had no clue it was us. It was obvious they thought it was thier neighbors and friends.

At one point my brother was using Mom as a human shield to protect him from the silly string. In the struggle Mom ended up on her butt with my brother threatening to cop a feel if anyone else sprayed him.....(he was thinking it was his friends wife).....I wanted to shout out so bad..."Mike, Thats your MOM !!!! "

Not wanting Mom to take one for the team one of my sisters finally revealed her identity. Mike and Cheri's reaction when Mom removed her mask was priceless.

The party really got started when thier freinds and neighbors joined in later........the next day at brunch my SIL said they had over 40 people in the house........The house was well TP'd, flocked with pink flamigo's and a nice big Iowa Hawkeye flag hanging on the garage. (They live in Ames, the home of the rival state school to the Univ of Iowa)

5 easy miles with T....another start to a great week ahead...
              Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
              wildchild

Carolyn

Slo, your family really knows how to party!  Any exploding vegetables?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Good Morning!!!

Bill:....we might be silly but we do have a lot of fun!!...looking forward to meeting you in Boston, and all the others as well!!!

Gordon!...are you coming to Seattle for any of the Thankgiving races...???

I ran 7 miles yesterday morning and the legs felt pretty good considering  all play time on Saturday.

Today  my quads are paying me back for all I put them through at Carkeek ...ouch.....got to skip a day!

I should be back on the trail tomorrow...I'm signed up for my first Double  in just 26 days!!

Looking forward to reading the NYC RRs, apparently about 10% of the runners are Italians just in for the race....!

Happy Monday to all!

Francesca 

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Still thrilled about Meb winning NYC!

Nice races over the weekend RAcers!!

One leg is tired, back a bit sore, but restof the body is fine.  When runnig 26.2 miles in the rain, I tend to keep my head down to prevent rain on my glasses (wearing cap).  That made my form bad and back a bit sore.  Better now after 2 mile walk and 30 min eliptical.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

54°
                      84%

5 miles
                      46:51

SLO, I want to be in your family!  Oh to have been at that party!  Fabulous.

Perchcreek, see you in Richmond. (Half for me)

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Nono – I love your Incredible Family shot.

Dg and Nono – 1000 miles – great job!

Erika - 14° - ouch!  No wonder you’re feeling a little low on mojo.  It’s HARD to start running in cold temps again.  Yesterday it was 32° at my house (much better than 14°), and I STILL had a hard time talking myself out the door.  It takes me a few weeks to acclimatize to the cold every year, and I have to re-learn how to dress for LRs.  I don’t want to overheat, but I also don’t want to get stuck 7 or 8 miles from home with some parts of me half-frozen.

Breger – sounds like a good idea to set aside the maniac stuff until after Boston.  I’ll be interested in what Tinman has in store for you.

WRFB – good idea - I think I’ll use that strategy for Boston next year.

Slo_Hand –

Francesca – good luck on your double!

Perch - 26 miles in the rain - I would so hate that - you are tough!

X-training day for me.  One mile on the TM @ 10:00, followed by two Body by Jake videos – a 21-minute Rock Hard Abs and 17 minutes of Rock Hard Total Body.  That one was 43 minutes long, but it was mostly jumping and hopping while swinging a medicine ball around (in my case, a 10-lb dumbbell), and I got tired of it.  DD likes to do these videos with me, which adds a lot of fun to the experience.  Her commentary is priceless. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

I edited yesterday's post to add that I had the pleasure of bumping into Tim wa5yom at the race yesterday.  His lovely wife Georgia was with him and we spent some time together.  Tim was trying to break 1:40 and came close, still a good race.  He and I were both 8th in our respective AG's, but his was a better 8th being a younger man.  I had 52 in my AG and he had about twice that.  Great seeing him and he says hi to all.

SLO!  That was a riot.

3.3 on the dirt for recovery today and then a flex/core workout at the Y.  Ready to work again.  Spareribs

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Hey Ribs... I was 8th in my AG yesterday too. We're on a roll!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Congrats, Karin, Nancy, Steve, and Ribs.  (OK, who'd I leave out?)

Congrats Erika, on just getting out there.  I used to run in those temps when I lived in western Minnesota--if I dressed ok going one direction, it was sure to be wrong when I turned around, as the wind on the prarie when it's in the teens or worse hurts!

Gym day for me--raced a little Saturday and shouldn't have, so Sunday was a slow 8 miler. 

We planted some spring bulbs this weekend to put a little hope into winter. 

I know Eliz., what a heartbreaker.  ARod needs to go back to sleep for the rest of the series.

How hard was Sunday for you, Jlynne?

Brl--the first time I ran Boston, I met a CPA who was doing it.  I asked her about her time goal.  She laughed and said she'd barely gotten any sleep over the last month, let alone any training runs of decent length (evidently she was a good CPA and Boston is right around tax time).  She said she just ran Boston for fun.  It's a consideration--takes some of the pressure off, and you can enjoy the trip more, stress less.

nono--went back to see the picture.  Really special.  --so is DD, Holly.  She's a mini-you.  I want to meet her!

Hi Francesca!  Double as in 2 marathons in a weekend?

grins,

A

Twocat--when we were in Seattle, Nancy seemed to eat a lot of veggies and tons of cherries.  How about some kind of trendy NY fusion restaurant with different ethnic optons? 

Masters 2000 miles

Good morning good people.

I started a daily, realized that Tramps had started one and then forgot to repost my post!

There was some great running done yesterday. Congrats to Karin, Perch, Mariposai, Spareribs and all of our other weekend racers. I can't wait to read everyone's RR (hint, hint)

Think I want to be adopted by Slo's family. Now those people know how to party!

A nice long run by Tramps this morning, and on a Monday no less.

Tinman is doing a good job keeping Bill on task.

Up at 4:30 to run in beautiful conditions - big harvest moon, no wind and temps around 44°. I'm savoring all of these wonderful mornings because I know what's coming.

I'm sure there are a lot of disappointed folks after yesterday's world series and football games were finished. The good news is we can still run.

Baby Will's echo test was cancelled for this morning - he's still going through pain med withdrawal and has been agitated and not eating or sleeping well. The kids are still hoping to be home by next week.

Have a great Monday everyone.

BTW Where are Mary and Nono this morning?