Masters Running

Weekly Newbies from CR (Read 666 times)

Hi all. I think I figured out these boards. A little different from CR. This is the newbies group. Anyone interested in joining please join in. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Laurie, good morning and happy new year! How are you and your girls?

Me

Good morning! Laurie, Glad to see you. I'm happy that you came over. I hope everything is going well. Is everyone healthy at your house yet? Mike
          Laurie, thanks for starting the thread. I'd planned to do it after the New Year, but got back to school again and kind of lost my mind, like I usually do there. I've been posting on the daily, but still find the traffic on that board kind of overwhelming. I've missed you guys! Will (finally) embark on my first run of 2008 tomorrow. Looking forward to it even more now that I can share it with y'all. Eliz Smile

flomotioncoaching.com

Rindaroo

Hi everyone!!! Glad to see you guys here. Jem - wowsa, nice race you ran! Smile
              About the newbies thread: this is something we started in CR for beginning runners of a certain age, thus newbie-boomers. We welcome new newbie-boomers as well as non-newbie boomers to join us at any time. We're friendly Smile Thanks, Linda! Hope you're managing with this cold weather. Hi Eliz! I've been meaning to congratulate you on your 2007 totals! School again - oy - it seems to come so fast. Laurie, will you assume your old identity? Kevin is a new man here. Debbie has changed, too, but just a little. Wink
              dg.

Hi everybody Smile Laurie, I'm glad you made it over! I was going to e-mail you soon. What's been going on with you? How is your cross training going? Eliz, I hope your run today goes well. Linda, so glad you're over here too. I got your post -- forget if it was a newbie or a tw, & have been meaning to email you too. still might, there's something I heard on npr, want to see if they have it available & send it. ok. forward we go. and thanks for your encouragement. Jem, it's really great to have you back posting more regularly. You add so much. -- I'm following the nutrition thread, just haven't posted yet. how are all the DKs? & your DH? yesterday was a decent day for me. I got more info from my pt & was able to put together something so that the exercises didn't end up making me worse. Roll eyes. last visit she confirmed what i've suspected, the treatment of the hip & of the hammies work at crosspurposes to each other. last night was a walk/run mix w/most of it running, seems to hurt less than walking only. I don't quite understand that, I'd switched to just walking thinking I was being smart patient blahblah. anyway, not the longest since the injury, but the longest that hasn't set me back, I think. 1.76 m. hee. last run before was 7.16. all I need to do is flip the numbers a little. Wink. not even bothering with time or pace right now. am paying attention the hr, a golden opportunity for that.
                stumpy77

Trails are hard!

And even newbies who aren't Boomer Big grin Hi everyone. I agree, I like having our own little spot. as much as I like the dailies, it's a lot easier to keep track of a slightly smaller crowd. I've been down in Staunton, VA since Wednesday night. Haven't had much chance to catch up. also no chance to run this morning. not even a treadmill to suffer on. Jem--congrats again. Hope you have your eye on a new race. Laurie-hope you crud has left you and you're able to enjoy your runs agian. Deb--good baby steps of progress. keep practicing the patience you're preaching Smile Mike--you moving to rochester any time soon? Hi, Eliz Now it's dinner time. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

One more day off and I'll go from resting to being a total slacker. A friend from school and I joined the district-wide "Biggest Loser" contest today, and we decided to have a final splurge meal this evening before we begin to diet in earnest, so I have yet to run in 2008. Dinner and conversation were worth it, though. I was supposed to do 3 4-mile runs this week. Did one on Monday, so have 2 to go - by tomorrow! Definitely won't try to 8 miles tomorrow, but I may shoot for 5. Will see how I feel and plan to get back on track next week. Happy weekend, everyone. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Me

Kevin, I'm waiting to hear. They told me they are hoping to be able to extend an offer around the middle of january. So, I'm still waiting. It would be kind of cool though. Linda, Are you running? I like having our little spot too. Mike
                      lswife

So this is where several of my running friends went! Hi there, everyone, even new people whose names I don't recognize. I've been walking rather than running for a couple of weeks, and haphazardly at that. We're going out of town for a couple of weeks, and although I'm taking my shoes/running clothes, I'm not optimistic about finding a running path. If I have to walk, okay, and I'll begin running when I return. I'm signed up for a spring race so I have to keep going.
                        Rindaroo

So yesterday I tried to run on the treadmill, but it wasn't working. Sad So, I walked 2 miles. One reason was my stomach hurt (IBS flareup), and breathing was not very good either.. But I think the breathing will be good again in a couple of days. I realized I was about a week overdue for getting my asthma med refill. Geez, I keep doing that!! I was actually feeing great, and then about a week ago started having problems again. Wouldn't you think my first thought would be to check my medication date? No, I just assumed it was because I hadn't been running Roll eyes So does this answer the questions about running? I'm actually back to being committed about running, but don't see quite ready to do it (breathing wise). So, I'm slowly working back to it again. Jem - I seem to be fine in the cold. I'm noticing seeing my breath in 20 degree weather, & last year it would take me awhile of being in the cold with a scarf around my mouth, before that would happen. I think the new med is really helping the breathing. yay! I have decided to stay on the TM this year in winter though, i think it will help. Eliz - the last meal sounds very logical to me Big grin ls - walking leads to running, just keep on plugging (as Tom White always says). Deb - Tom is still keeping up his thread on CR for now. So, you can always go there too. I think his preference is KR tho. Good to see you're getting some run/walking in. That doesn't really make sense to me on the walking vs the run/walking - unless you are running at one position, and walking at another that stresses the problem area on the treadmill. Glad the PT agrees with you on the pt exercises. Hope that will help you get better treatment. Email or send me the info anytime. Keep on plugging, you will get there!! I have to say I wasn't sure I was going to post at RA, but the day I checked it out, I saw Jem asking where I was - so how could I not? I'm really glad this group is continuing. CYL!
                            So this is where several of my running friends went! Hi there, everyone, even new people whose names I don't recognize. I've been walking rather than running for a couple of weeks, and haphazardly at that. We're going out of town for a couple of weeks, and although I'm taking my shoes/running clothes, I'm not optimistic about finding a running path. If I have to walk, okay, and I'll begin running when I return. I'm signed up for a spring race so I have to keep going.
                            Welcome back! So glad you found us. This is a transitional time of year, but things will all settle down pretty soon. Hope you get some walking or running in. Is the race a 5K? Deb, I'm still on semi-vacation, but all our activities will kick in again around mid-Jan. and I'll have trouble getting computer time. Hope to be able to check in once a day at least briefly. :-/ For now I'm enjoying reading the threads and posting (too much!). DKs and DH are all well. DS is enjoying life and exercising his intense personality, which was dormant for so long because of his illness. Kind of like living on a roller-coaster, but I won't complain too much. Smile He has energy and no symptoms! FYI to the group - DS has Crohns disease. Deb, it sounds like you're putting the pieces of the puzzle together and making progress. This is good. Smile Rinda, my DD who has asthma has had this happen to her so many times. Have you tried putting your refill date on the calendar when you get a new prescription? It works for me if I do it right away, as soon as the refill arrives. I'm happy you're posting here. Stumpy, thanks for your encouragement! There's a 5 miler in mid-March that I shouldn't miss this year. It's nearby and on a Saturday, way better than Sunday for me, so I've got to commit to that. And there's a 10K, less convenient, in mid-Feb. I could do that as a long-run/experiment more than as a race. Eliz, how cool about the BL contest. I'm excited for you. I lost my weight without a lot of support, but have been maintaining with some friends online for quite a while. It's going to be great to lose weight with a friend, and as part of a larger effort. Hey to MIke. You are really running. Smile Laurie, you've said hello but we need a progress report. Greetings to anyone/everyone else out there! You're welcome to join us. Once we get started we actually post our daily runs here. Big grin
                            Rindaroo

Jem - good idea, I will have to do that. Ok, reporting in my run today. I did 2.85 miles on the TM all together.. 1 mile walk, 1 mile run (straight through yay) , .25 walk/run/walk for .75 mile & some cooling done... amazing what a refill on the meds do! Smile It was about 1 1/2 weeks ago or so the last time I was able to run 1 mile straight.
                                First run of 2008 for me today. Back from 3 self-imposed days on the disabled list and one day of being a lazy slacker. Today's 4.7 miles were much easier than the 3.8 I dragged myself through on New Years Eve, proving that the rest did me some good. Remember how I used to whine about how slow I am all of the time? Well, it just dawned on me that I ran at least twice as far today as I was able to this time last year with the same effort, so even though I'm at about the same pace, I'm finally starting to believe that I'm making real progress. Smile Bad news is that the weird discomfort/pain in my right foot that was such an issue over Christmas break was back this morning - even before I went running. I'm seeing the podiatrist Monday to talk about getting custom orthotics. And I'll definitely being doing my ankle and quad stretching and strength this evening. And every day. Deb - sounds like the PT is starting to work for you. Glad to hear it. Kevin - your avatar cracks me up every time I see it. Lswfie - enjoy the break from running, the travel, and the walking. A spring race as a motivator sounds like a good plan. Rinda - so glad to hear you were able to run today! Jem - just as glad to hear that DS is doing well! Hi, Mike. The little guy in your avatar reminds me of godson #2's Halloween costume from last year. Off to the grocery store to stock my fridge and pantry with healthy food and then home to cook and pre-assemble healthy meals for the week. With my crazy schedule, it's the only way I'll be able to achieve my weight loss goals. I'm already craving junk food! Argh!!! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com