Masters Running

Saturday' Daily, 11.25.17 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Friday’s workouts:
    SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT! DID YOU KNOW THAT TWOCAT RAN 12 (COUNT THEM, 12) MILES ON A TM ON WEDNESDAY? WOW!!
    RunnerKSA (5.2 morning miles on tired legs)
    Holly (1500 swimming yards [60 widths] + 15 min weights & core)
    Quickadder (10 morning miles at 9:01 pace with negative splits in sunny 39° temps with 3 loose dogs)
    C-R (8 trail miles with friends and with a spill)
    Catwhoorg (11 rolling hill, neighborhood miles)
    Pfriese (10 EZ ‘park to park’ loop miles)
    Tomwhite (50 min with hip bother)
    Opus77 (5 campground miles at 8:54 pace)
    Twocat (1 hr on the elliptical)
    Jlynne (4 morning miles with hamstring kinks + weights & core)
    Tammy (5 morning miles)
    Fatozzig (4 miles [including 2 on trails - 1st since Feb] at Headwaters)
    Falconfixer (7.2 morning miles with friends +2.2 afternoon walk miles)
    Tramps (22 bike miles with Tribee with temps in the 50s)
    Bioguy (6 mile pre-birthday hike with DW and 2 mutts)
    Wildchild (8.4 miles with the Friday trail gang, while DD and DSIL hiked)

Evanflein (10K on the TM in 53 min, laughing through podcasts)

Deeze (1.2 TM miles at the gym at 4:45AM, +squats, planks, & abs)

Lots ‘a good leftover plans (or not) and good recipes, good running, and even some Black Friday shopping (maybe you should have gone before the martinis, Henrun). I din’t go anywhere near a mall, but did buy some running/walking socks online from a place with a 1-day, 50%-off & free shipping sale.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Bioguy! And congrats on 365 days alcohol-free.

Congrats on getting back on the trails, Fatozzig - great progress.

Congrats on the new car, Tammy!

Good luck with the challenge, Deeze.

I got our shed shelved and peg-boarded yesterday, and stuff moved into it, so now there is actually some room in our garage. I hope we can keep it that way...

I went 7.4 RW miles at 4:40 this morning in 34° temps, under clear, starred skies. I was a little fatigued from yesterday's running and the rest of the day's activities, and I have a busy day planned for today, so I didn't push the pace today. Maybe a long workout tomorrow?

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT! DID YOU KNOW THAT TWOCAT RAN 12 (COUNT THEM, 12) MILES ON A TM ON WEDNESDAY? WOW!!

...well,

if jay said it, I guess he did........

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/11/25/565725694/even-after-100-years-people-are-still-reaching-for-the-moon-pie

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I guess the 12 dreadmill miles really happened!

6.8 miles this morning on the relatively flat path.  Saw the running group that started at 6:30, but I didn't need to start that early.  It was 50 degrees and pretty nice.  We've been lucky this week with weather.   I haven't had a cold in 2 years, and I do now.  I'm surprised I got through all my fall travel and racing without getting sick, but here I am.  My colds almost always wind up as bronchitis, so I am trying to head it off.  I need to not be coughing up a lung when we start trial on December 4.  I realize running 6.8 might not fall into the category of "heading it off", but so far it's not in my chest.   I hate colds.    Son flies back to Philly this afternoon.  He'll be back in a few weeks for Christmas, thanks to my Southwest Airlines points.....

Stay out of the shopping traffic, all.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Now that's better. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Quickadder

Usual Saturday morning running group run. Wasn’t sure what I would do today after yesterday’s effort. Started with the first group at 6am and after 5+ miles looped back to the start to join the 7am crew. Ran the next 5 or so chatting with the only other Brit in the group - he is just starting his taper for the Honolulu Marathon in 2 weeks time. Final section on my own to finish with 14.3 miles at average 9:30 pace.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, chose to skip a (very) small local 5k and joined other friends for a last group run.  We went 8+, at what turned out to be a progressive pace.  Will probably walk some with DW later.  And start getting the car packed for an early morning start tomorrow to get back to NC.

It's also Iron Bowl Day!  As an Auburn University alumnus, War Damn Eagle!

12 miles on a TM?!  Not a fan of that.  My record is 17 miles--it was a drill weekend when I was at Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station and it was snowing...heavily.  It was knee high when I trudged back to the lodging office after that run.

Have a great day everyone!

Mike E

MM #5615

Oh...okay...

pfriese

Morning all,

An easy 11.9 miles around the city reservoir with the Saturday running group for me this morning. A beautiful morning and I was thankful not to be running them on a treadmill.

Paul

catwhoorg

Labrat

11 rolling hills, plus 8x5 sets of pull-ups in the park

Basically the same as yesterday. Did some loops "in reverse' though just to change things up a little

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

bioguy

Hi all

Slow 6 today; felt fatigued for no good reason.

Coastwalker- we just got a shed too; haven't moved anything into it yet, but I'd love to have just a little more space in my garage.

Headed to daughter's house later today for a second Thanksgiving of sorts. They live in Baltimore where she is in her last year of medical school. She is applying for residency in a variety of hospitals around the country and I'll be happy when she no longer resides in Baltimore. I used to feel relatively safe in parts of the city, but crime is creeping nto neighborhoods that never had it so badly before.

Tailwinds!

...mild here and 50's

......knocked out 60-min (adding 5-min on my treks)

pulled my car into the garage after 3-weeks

(don't Laugh,

it's a stick-shift and I wasn't sure I could work the clutch)

......those

single-leg squats worked great>>>>>Piece of Cake-ski (as they say in Russia)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQpp5LEEaj0

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

By now I should know better than to click on TomWhite's links.  Somehow I thought I would see a video of one-legged squats, and instead have a new earworm.....

Tammy - nice car!

Bioguy and Tammy - Happy Birthdays!

46 degrees when I set out this morning felt colder than it should have - I had not counted on the strong breeze.  Also, my legs felt tired most of the run.  Still, I had to make the most of the warmer temps, and got my LR in.

15 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

5.1 miles with the Sole Sisters -- had a great "ketchup" with one of my friends who I haven't seen much since MCM

Wish I could say my right foot was holding strong, but it's just holding ..... stupid foot pain!!

Happy Saturday my friends!!

Jay - thanks for the recap!! We had serious doubts about the 12 mile treadmill run someone sort of mentioned!! 

denise

mrrun

Hi all,

On a rare late november day in mid-50's, we started out to run on the beach, but drive was too long, so we stopped at twice at two different local state parks that we never get to.  Ran/walk along various trails past rivers, lakes, hills, etc. and fortunately none of the roots had henrun's name on them - distance unknown.

getting hungry, tripadvisor sent us to a  very local bbq food truck where folks dined "tail gated" off the back of their trucks (we sat in the car) for delicious and very cheap food

Happy shopping/non-shopping and playing days!  ((deeze, ksa, and any other ouchies))

marj

bioguy happy birthday!

Mike E I know, I have been so confused of late. I thought I did a TM run, then no recap so no way, then a recap in bold(!) so maybe I really did 22? 

Holly S. drag about the tree farm. I hope the tree ends up making up for the lack of adventure in its collection.

wildchild getting a tree from the backyard would be really tough for me in the best of circumstances. I would initially have to survive DW yelling at me about using a chainsaw when I have no idea how to use one. Assuming I made it past the first obstacle then would have to cut down the tree and not any of my limbs, seeing as I have really no idea how to use a chainsaw. 

evanflein where you live I am sometimes amazed the electricity does not freeze on its way to your house so that you can use the TM. A high of -15°! 

deez4boyz good luck with the challenge!

TammyinGP I hope you and the car get along fabulously! With just 28K miles it should last quite some time.

coastwalker How good are you and DW at tossing stuff? That is likely the best indicator of whether the room in your garage will stay that way. My DW is a pack rat. I happy to toss out anything I cannot recall the last time I used it. Occasionally, things I should not have tossed out too! Which is why we have to now order new deck chair covers. 

RunnerKSA coughing during the trial could be useful, depending on how things are going. Hey, you have to look on the bright side of things!

Quickadder, pfriese and deez4boyz I wish the local running group here was as friendly as yours. They all go out like the road is on fire. But at all different paces. Meaning none of them run together! Why bother meeting up at 8am on a Saturday just to run by yourself? Not to mention the $50 in annual dues they have to pay.

Falconfixer man I wish I was heading down to NC this week. Instead I am heading to Montreal. What a crazy time of year to have a Canada trip.No, no, I mean Montreal is a well known December destination Just beautiful. Want to trade? 

tomwhite so why do you own a stick? Seems like your life would be a lot easier with an automatic. Plus these days, they get better mileage than a stick.

I ran 16 this morning. All outdoors. The relive video is at https://www.relive.cc/view/g15799725706. Morning line says 1:3 that my run makes the Sunday recap. Call 203 . . . to make book.  Yesterday I went to donate blood. I was rejected. Turns out if you have been diagnosed or treated for cancer you cannot donate blood for a calendar year. The Red Cross means it too! I was told I was on the no good list until August 26, 2018. It appears you are banned an extra day in leap years. DW is quite happy about that. She generally objects to my donating blood. I have a slow heart rate and low blood pressure. She thinks my donating blood increases the odds I will pass out or worse. The pass out has happened. Fortunately, so far not the or worse part! 

For the curious, as to why I have the low blood pressure and slow heart rate issues, for that I can thank running. As for the passing out part, for that I can thank the running stuff plus a congenital issue that requires me to get in a lot of salt to keep my nervous system firing properly. A year and a half ago my cardiologist said that I had to drastically increase my salt intake. So I started drinking a Nuun each morning. During my last visit the cardiologist assigned to me that day asked what I was doing about salt. Told her about the Nuun. All she did was point her thumb up, raise her fist a few times and say up it a lot. So now I drink two Nuun's a day and take a salt tablet after a workout.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/