Masters Running

Sunday, 1.22.17 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

There is a lot from yesterday that I'd like to comment on, but I'm very short on time this morning. I went out for 7.5 miles in 36 damp degrees under quarter-moonlit skies (when not obscured by the many passing clouds), and accompanied by a roiling, pounding surf at low tide, and that nice salty ocean fragrance. Now I've stretched, showered, had a bit to eat, and it is time to head out for today's racewalking training session. If I have time (lots 'o chores on the list today too, so I may not), I'll stop by again later.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Since Jay didn't have the time, I have no idea what anyone did yesterday, but I hope you all enjoyed whatever it was. 

Another pea-soup fog this morning. Driving out to the park it helped to know where all the traffics lights are since you had to be within about 150 ft  before you could see them! With my back hurting, I hadn't run since last Sunday -- not even an EZ TM session -- and it showed. I made the 6 miles around the lake, but with a couple of short walk breaks and ended up with an overall 10:45 average pace. I did see perchcreek emerge from the fog and run past a couple of times as he was doing laps in the opposite direction.

How's everyone else's Sunday going?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

Good morning.  Everyone’s still out running, I suppose.

It was appropriate that I was on a rail trail today because this one was a train wreck.  14 miles of bad “running.”  Started out drizzling and breezy and--anticipating some raw weather--I overdressed. In fact, it warm and humid and I was soon literally steaming with my glasses fogging up, making it difficult to watch my footing. The overnight rains had left the trail kind of sloppy and I was slip-sliding around.  By mile 5 or so, my knee was not happy.  I took some walk breaks and stuck it out to the turnaround spot but then had 7 miles of jog/walk misery to get back.  Along the way I mentally checked out, just wanting it to be over.  Oh well, these happen from time to time.  Next one will be better.

Ice and ibuprofen for the knee, hopefully some good football later.

Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

Henrun

Yesterday I walked/jogged 6-7 miles as I joined the hordes in the Boston Women's march. Couldn't find Marj and herGD as the crowds were immense. Interestingly as I joined this festive crowd was passed in the other direction by Marathon trainees. Fortunately the weather was almost springlike.

This morning I jogged 2.5 miles on the reservoir while Marj drove up to NH to watch her GS play hockey. On Wednesday we're leaving for 3 weeks in Florida. Hope to do a lot more walking/jogging.

Dave59

Normally Sunday is a rest day but I felt like killing some time so I went to the nearby park and ran 1.3 miles which is 2 loops around the pond.  One easy (10:19 pace) and then one with more effort (8:16 pace).

No real reason for that other than I was feeling restless.

coastwalker

Hi kids. I'm back.

Doesn't sound like fun, Doug, but congrats on the foggy 6er and the Perchcreek sighting. Tough morning for Tramps too, with overdressing, very sloppy conditions and an unhappy knee - but still got 14 done. Congrats on yesterdays 6-7 mile walk in the Boston hoards, Henrun, and today's 2.5 miler around the reservoir. Sounds like a good trip coming up. Nice 2-lapper, time-killer at the pond, Dave.

Lots of runs and passes because of tough weather yesterday. Weird winter, eh?

Also interesting commentary on the changing to the new administration in Washington, and people's expectations and fears. I think it is safe to say that the next 4 years are going to be different than what we are used to. But just like always, every citizen has the right (some might say the obligation) to speak up if they don't like the direction the government is taking. And that includes our goddess Enke (who I still like too!).

I am amazed at the number of people who were in demonstrations/protests in small and large cities all over the globe yesterday. Whether one agrees with the reasons for the demonstrations or not, the sheer numbers of people who participated peacefully is astounding.

Back to why we are here: Jlynne, I've never had PF, but there are plenty of articles on the web about how to deal with it. No, I don't think running is usually part of the healing process.

Mike, I'm amazed that you can run at all with all those aches and pains you have going on. And I'm surprised (as I'm sure you are) that a month off from running didn't get you to a better place. Do you stretch after your runs/ Do you do any cross-training? If not, consider both.

Holly, I hope your daughter will one day appreciate all that you do for her. You are one of the best, most giving moms!

BerthaSlayer, you are one tenacious runner. That photo yesterday screams "Get outta my way - I'm coming through!" Congrats on completing the 8K and chicking the old dude.

TwoCat, that sounds more like a groupless run.

Steve, if I come back for another life, I want to be your dog!

I went about another 2.5 miles (bringing my total to 10 for the day) at racewaking training, most of it at an easy pace. Had some good conversation with the other racewalkers along the way. Then DW and I went to a salt store (yes, there is such a thing) to get some different flavors of salts - we're having a party next month, and it will include some blind taste tests, and we thought different salts would be an interesting component. We got lime citrus salt, wild porcini salt, Iceland licorice salt, espresso salt, and a smoky hickory salt. Then I went to the local running store to pick up the shirt I earned in last year's Seacoast Series, and I got a pair of tights and socks (both on sale). I wonder what this afternoon will bring?

Cheers,

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Count me in as one of those people who really enjoys Jay's recaps. I am awful at personals but do enjoy reading everyone's adventures.

Today I ran 14 miles in heavy fog but still spotted deer. I love the deer.  Have a great weekend everyone.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

I wonder what this afternoon will bring?

Hopefully, some really competitive football games?

+1 on hanging out with Steve. Those dogs always look like they're having a blast.

Sorry your run was carpy today Tramps. But you're right - a really good one is probably on tap for tomorrow.

Hi Henry! Where will you be staying in Florida.

Hope all of that mud washed off easily Bertha. And congrats on a good race.

Like Roch, the fog was so thick here this morning I couldn't see down our driveway to the mailbox. I went to the Y with DH and ran 3 on the track and did some weights, then we went out for breakfast. We've been in this routine the last few Sundays and DH is a little superstitious. If we keep the same routine, the Packers will keep winning. Don't want to mess with the juju, right? 

No sun here for over a week. And no sun in the forecast. Only more fog, rain and snow. I feel like I'm growing moss. Better up the vitamin D doseage!

Have a great Sunday everyone.

spinach

More thawing here in Minnesota and that brought more fog this morning.  I got in 11 miles this morning, my longest run since i had the knee surgery.  This got me 25 miles this week, again another longest week AS. I hope this is an indication that I am now able to reason training for serious running and I hope this isn't over stress that will lead to a big crash.  But it is a new semester and the stress is always low at the start of the semester so I think I will be okay.

evanflein

But just like always, every citizen has the right (some might say the obligation) to speak up if they don't like the direction the government is taking. And that includes our goddess Enke (who I still like too!).

Well, I'm sure Enke would agree, and thanks!

I ended up with 8.2 on the treadmill yesterday. It was actually a good run as far as treadmill runs go. The temps were hovering in the mid-minus-teens and I just didn't want to bundle up, but probably should have. It was -34° this morning so there's no question about it today: another treadmill run. If I make it to the planned 17 I'll be amazed. Anything over 14 will be fine. The 20 will wait till next week.

Bertha, good job on that mud-fest race! Running in mud is hard; hope the shoes got hosed off.

Steve, does Honey always run off and that's why she's on the leash? Poor girl, seems no fair when the others get to run free. But I guess better than spending hours looking for her.

Tramps, hope the knee is ok. And yes, you know the conservation of good runs means your next outing should be a good one!

Happy Sunday to the rest of you. I'm sure ready for spring. This has been a tough winter for running outside. I guess I'm paying for the last couple of years, which were much milder than normal. Holly, as for leaving here after I retire, it's hard to say. All our family is here. I'm reminded of a friend whose son asked on one very cold dark day, "why do we live here??" and she replied "because this is where the people are who love you." (and ok, yes those people can move, too, but for now, they're here)

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

Another day of DD-related drama.  Kids these days post constantly on their phones - Snapchat, Instagram, etc.  I have warned DD repeatedly to watch what she posts, as the schools and police are really cracking down on anything they interpret as "cyber-bullying."  Well, recently DD and another friend had issues and ended their friendship.  Last night, DD and friends were at our home eating Oreos and milk, and she posted a picture of the Oreo package and the quote "Who needs ____ when I have Oreos?" meaning basically, "Who needs this friend when I have cookies?"  So I was greeted today with an uproar of texts from this friend's mother, saying this was racism and she will be going to the school about it.  Apparently the jilted friend has a father who is half-black, and so she interpreted Oreo as some sort of racial reference.  Jeesh!  DD showed me the post and that didn't even occur to me.  While the post was in bad taste, I believe DD when she said she had not intended it to be interpreted as racist.  Sometimes an Oreo is just a cookie.  I guess I will be getting a call from the principal tomorrow.

As for running news, the weather turned out great for my run today.  While it was foggy for the early part, the expected rain did not show up.

20.05 miles for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Oh my Holly. I hope the issue will resolve ok. However, a good lesson that I bet won't be repeated or forgotten. reminds me to check my kids on-line activity. Haven't done that in a while. Nice 20 miler and way to be there for the bball game. I'm sure DD noticed.

Maintenance run of 2 miles today. Raced a 5k yesterday which was billed as XC but was really a trail race. Can anyone say single track. Even being stuck I almost hit my goal and my achilles hasn't flared. This slow and steady progress thing might actually work.

As a neutral I am hoping for good games today as well.

Tramps - careful with that knee.

Nice double Jay.

Great pictures Steve.

Gott run.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

pfriese

Windy, windy, windy here, but other than that it was a nice day for 8.2 miles of running.

Paul

wildchild

Carolyn

It was windy yesterday - I skipped running because the rain was blowing sideways!  It also made driving on the interstate a bit tricky in a big van.  But the wind died down overnight, so today I ran 5 miles along the base of the Organ Mountains near Las Cruces, New Mexico - I believe this is Opie's stomping grounds!  Gorgeous mountains, that are currently topped with snow, and a very runnable trail.

Happy trails, everyone.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

just a very sloppy, squishy 3.6 trail miles at home today. the snow is just about gone but several areas of standing water and muck on trails because the ground is SO saturated.

Tammy