Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 10.9.17 (Read 43 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (6 morning miles near the Poconos, with a deer sighting)
    Rochrunner (7 good morning miles, including one with Steve/Prechcreek)
    Deeze (18 Maine miles)
    Wildchild (Saturday’s CMRRA trail race of 8.4 miles, plus another 8.4 of course sweep)
    Quickadder (9.5 morning trail miles with DD in dewey, misty weather)
    Pfriese (13 morning miles ‘round town in cool weather)
    Holly (Steamboat Marathon without dying)
    Henrun (Great Island 5K in rain for 3rd place AG)
    Marj (Great Island 5K in rain for 3rd place AG - with DD, GS1 and GD1)
    Tet (3 morning moon & sun miles in ’15 Portland Marathon shirt)
    Mike (5.8 nice & EZ miles)

Spacityrunner (8.2 hot, hard, midday mountain miles)

StarrRuns (round the lake miles with a cabin tour at mile 3)

Mariposai (7 miles in gorgeous weather)

Welcome, Tom1961! Sorry about your back - I hope it is healing well. Meanwhile, feel welcome to post, regardless of what you are doing, but especially if you are running!

Welcome back, StarrRuns, and thanks for the great news about Mr. Starr! I am very glad that he is doing so much better, and that you are too.

I see that Spinach ran a wet and slippery trail race on Saturday and finished 2nd overall, and now has 187 consecutive months with at least 1 race per month. Impressive on both counts!

Speaking of family competitiveness, I spoke with a woman after my race yesterday who's 20-something son stopped smoking when his mom walked a 5K and beat him. That was a few years ago, and he is now running regularly and still not smoking at all. Whatever it takes...  Speaking of smoking, I saw a woman about 20 min. before race who had a bib on, so she was in the race, but she was leaning against her car having a cup of coffee and a cigarette. I just shook my head.

I had a great day yesterday: raced Great Island 5K (in the rain) with Henrun & Marj and other friends; later, I mixed up my own blend of coffee beans that will hold us for the next 7-10 days; did a little grocery shopping; made a pot of Firehouse Chili (NY Times recipe); enjoyed chips and red pepper relish and wine with DW while we had our weekly phone call with a good friend in NY, and enjoyed a salad and the chili for a tasty dinner.

My time at the Great Island 5K was slower than the previous 4 times I had walked this race. So either I haven't yet perfected my technique to counteract age-related slowdown, or it doesn't work in the rain. But I was still quick enough to snag 1st in the competitive walking division.

5.4 EZ miles in mild (66° temps) and humid (99%) weather with some fog as well (why not?) at 4 this morning.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Out to breakfast with DH as we have no electricity - supposedly get it back by 9

iur shoes are still wet from yesterday's race!

while running this incredibly fast racewalker sped by & finished 2 minutes ahead of me.  Jay you looked great and earned that #1

our evening was low key but then we drove 3 hours to run in the rain,  food just came bye

Thanks, Jay.  Great recap as always.

Sucked it up and had to run in the rain this morning.  5.8 miles in the Poconos.  It was warm, so I took off my jacket pretty quickly.  Wet is wet, as it turns out.  Did better than I expected as far as sticking it out.   Travel home today after a stop to see Pam (Rockenmomoffive) and Kristen (Wannaberunner) in the Allentown area.  

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

SPUNKY57

Spunky57

Hi Friends! I ran the Prairie Fire Half Marathon yesterday. I was 412 out of 1233 and got 2nd in my age group. 50 degrees at start and 65 at finish. Beautiful sunny day! Was a bucket list race for me and I'm ecstatic that I did better than I expected. I ran 4 easy recovery miles this morning.

CW - Love reading your post! Sounds like you and DW had some really good eating yesterday. Congrats on the race.

MRRUN - Hope you get your electricity back.

RUNNERKSA - Good job on the 5.6 in yuck conditions. Enjoy the visit with fellow runners!

Missed checking in this weekend, as we were busy celebrating DS's 30th.  Maybe a bit too much, as I slept in yesterday and did not run.  Not sure what today holds for running.  Need to get Dog #1 to the vet for yearly check up.  I have PT for the neck at 1, and then our County Championship met at 4.   Hopefully the rain holds off.

Coastwalker - congrats on the 1st.  Crazy about the pre-race smoker!

mrrun - hope you get some lights soon.  The neighborhood next to us lost power for one week last year during Matthew (we got lucky - 4 hours), so I bit the bullet and bought a big generator this year - guaranteeing we will never lose power again.

RunnerKSA - safe travels.  Stay dry.

Spunky - way to go!!!  Congrats.  So happy for you.  How do you feel today?

Looking forward to reading some RRs.

Off to grade some papers before PT.  Such fun!

Singer who runs a smidge

Howdy, Masters!  Today's run/walk was called on account of rain.  Seems there's some kind of rule about that ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

pfriese

Easy 9 miles around town this morning.

SPUNKY57

Spunky57

OPUS - Happy Birthday to DS! My DGS has a 21st today. Hope the rain holds off. Thank you! I thought that was an RR! Do you know anything about GEORGE21 and SIZE12 Chicago race???

SPUNKY57

Spunky57

HOPESMOM - I call it off for lightning or a heavy downpour. Maybe the sun'll come tomorrow, tomorrow... isn't there a song about that?

PFRIESE - Nice work on 9 miles!

well, no ThunderBoomers here today......

knocked out 40-min PoolRun with letters

...............good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Still  recovering from strained back.

Getting better.

Hope to try running again soon.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Tramps

Drive by.  Pouring rain this morning so just my PT exercises.

Opus--looks like you had a great game to watch Saturday night, though MikeE (from MN) probably didn't care for it.   Here, we're enjoying Ovi's crazy streak.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Opus--looks like you had a great game to watch Saturday night, though MikeE (from MN) probably didn't care for it.  

It's still early and its a long season...I say that a lot about my Minnesota teams...

I did our team's fartlek workout--4 miles worth--then went and did 3 miles of strength--1/2 mile recovery--another mile of strength--and finished with a 1 1/2 mile cool down.  Total 10 miles.  I had a headache and upset stomach all day and, somehow, felt a whole lot better once I walked into the cross country room.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy Masters!  Some nice running, racing and workouts today - well done!

We made it home from Scranton, and are busy (me anyway) doing laundry and readying for the work week.

I have a question for you all:  After finishing the marathon Sunday, DH and I were walking through the finishing area and he pointed out a man who was walking with a group of people.  Apparently, as our husbands waited at the finish line, they saw a runner cresting the hill at the last stoplight who was being supported by two men on either side (in red vests, my DH said) as they helped him toward the finish.  As he got near the finish line, family members came from the crowd to support him, and he sort of collapsed, and they basically dragged him over the finish line, where others greeted them and put him into a wheelchair.  We talked about this later that night, and the whole idea of whether or not it is okay to be helped across the finish, especially some distance.  DH was of the opinion that, since this man was not in need of medical attention enough to be pulled from the course, he should have been encouraged to sit down for a few minutes until he was recovered enough to finish on his own.  This man came in and received a finishing time before either myself or Erika (and many others), and if he had had to sit, recover, and do it on his own, this would likely not have happened.  DH said that someone who heads out like a bat out of hell and flames out before the end should frankly have to pay the price for that, rather than being carried across the finish to earn a pretty good time, which is not fair to those of us who paced ourselves according to our current fitness level and the conditions, and finished without any help.

Certainly for me it would not have made much of a difference in overall standings, but perhaps there was someone who missed out on an award because of this.  Your thoughts?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Great County Championship XC meet!  My boys won the meet handily 33-68-88-x-x-x-x-x (not sure of the other 5 team scores yet.  They actually surprised me, taking 1-3-4-7.  Our girls team only has 2 runners, but one of them was girls county champ also.

Tramps and Mike E - it was a fantastic way to start the NHL season.  As much as purists hate the shootout, it was exciting to watch.  Especially now that we have a goalie who doesn't turn into Swiss cheese when the shootout starts.  We knew we had it in the bag when the Wild put in Staal as the final shooter!  Mike E - the kids on my team usually give me a "pick me up" as well.  Glad you're feeling better.

Spunky - I'll check and see if I can find anything on George and Size12.  I only know George's real name, so probably won't find anything on Size12.

Holly - that's a tough one.  As a HS cross country meet director, I would give that runner their finishing time, but not include them in any individual or team standings.  However, none of our runners pay huge fees to race and they don't expect medals, t-shirts, and an AG placing at a race either.  One can make an argument that it doesn't really matter because it's not really hurting anyone, unless you are the one losing out on an AG award or being displaced by the person in question!  I guess it's all perspective.  No easy answer.  How's that for waffling??  Sorry that happened to you.

OK, need to get the meet results posted into milesplit.  Good evening everyone.