Masters Running

Weds 10/29 daily , early... (Read 506 times)

Then a sales person walks in and goes to the fridge and says "hey, who stoled my hot dogs" I just kept reading the paper like I didn't have a clue, as his hot dogs were under my foot Big grin
    I guess this is better than what happens in Portnoy's Complaint. Dark Horse
    I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
      So Tim is pinging off the walls and using hotdogs as an ice pack! Just as I had imagined! I was feeling very much recovered from my HM on Saturday, which was more like 8 miles at HM pace followed by 5 miles of LR pace than 13.1 miles at HM pace. And it has been 3 days inbetween. Soreness in legs was gone and I felt a bit energetic this morning so I went to my litte pond to do an interval workout. When I got there I noticed my Garmin was completely dead! I was so much at a loss! What do I do? I thought I'd just have to run around the neighbourhood and guesstimate it to be 8 miles. Somehow I didn't like the idea of not knowing how far I had run. Scrap that idea. And I really wanted to do some speedwork. So I decided to do a 20 min jog warm-up, then 5 x loops of the pond (which is less than a mile, around 0.8 mile?, but I really don't know) with 2 minute walk intervals. Luckily I had my timex ironman watch with me. Then 26 min c/d. Just during the warmup I quickly discovered that running for time, and not distance was incredibly liberating! I went completely "by feel", as I didn't have that little pace device on my wrist telling me how much I suck. Here are my loop splits: 7:50 7:28 7:23 7:12 7:12 So nice eh? Here is the amazing part....other than the first loop, which I knew I was running a little slow, and I believe it takes time for the muscles to crank up their enyzmatic machinery, all of the others I felt like I was running slower than the one before it, when in fact I was running faster!! Surprised I was going to quit doing laps once my time slipped over 7:30 again, but my watch BLANKED out after the last one. Luckily I had memorized the splits. I figured it was a sign to stop. I could have easily done one or two more. Running by feel ROCKS! 8 miles total, more or less. Wink

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

I have been waiting the day I can see you figure out that "running by feel ROOOOCKSSSSSSSSS. Isn't it a great feeling?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

xor

...so I went to my litte pond to do an interval workout
          I think that having the legs to do intervals over a pond also rocks. 'Cause the ponds here ain't frozen. That's some speed. Smile

Marathon Maniac #3309

you're dripping enthusiasm...
            Anyone got a napkin Cool Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Hey Amy, you forgot one other option.............shirtless Smile. Surely I won't be the only one will I Tongue Tim
              SInce you're asking......I've often pondered this. As a breat cancer survivor, I think I could get away with it and not even break any kind of indecent exposure law (my surgeon did a greta job!) After all, I don't even have nipples, let alone boobs! Cool List is on the way, hope it helps! 6 easy for me in 52:33, about an 8:42 pace .........AND 75 degrees!! grins, A ps maine...really? It was that cold in Portland? I thought it was warmer. Good thing I asked, I think I might be contemplating too much stuff. Erika, send your email address and I'll send you the list too.
              Masters 2000 miles
                Good news, my little pond loop, which I thought was 0.80 miles around, is actually 0.85!! That means I went 30 seconds per mile faster today than I thought! WooHoo!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Aamos.... erika dot vanflein at alaska dot edu Thanks!
                    ps maine...really? It was that cold in Portland? I thought it was warmer. Good thing I asked, I think I might be contemplating too much stuff.
                    Amy it really was that cold here for the marathon...today it was really cold...well the wind made it even worse than it really was, 40 degrees with very strong winds. Easy 5.03 miles - 41:26 - 8:14 - Avg HR 127 Max HR 144 Only two more easy runs before the marathon! Now I'm gettting a bit anxious. Big grin
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yep, it was chilly in Maine today! I wimped out and went to the Y. Since I've had two longer runs the last couple of days, I stuck to 3.2 miles on the treadmill, and then 20 minutes of pool running. Only 9.2 miles to go for another 100-mile month. Gosh, it's nice to be healthy!!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Now I'm getting a bit anxious. Big grin
                        Anxious....I don't have a clue as to what you are talking about Tongue Antsy Tim Geez Tim, at least you can learn to spell right.

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Renee the dog

Climbing the walls here -- so did a half hour of yoga. Surprised I used to practice regularly -- can't remember the last time I actually did a session. To say I'm out-of-practice would be putting it mildly. Now that I've cut my number of running days, I guess I'll be trying to fit more of this in...

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Good runs out there today. I got in a nice easy 6 miler this evening. The calendar says fall, but the temperature says spring, here in beautiful OK. About 74 F during the run. "Run Forest, Run"......I never get tired of hearing that. Big grin Heal up, all those with injuries. May we all be restored to the perfection in which we were intended.
                            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                              Good runs out there today. I got in a nice easy 6 miler this evening. The calendar says fall, but the temperature says spring, here in beautiful OK. About 74 F during the run.
                              74!! I think I want to move to Oklahoma!! It was very chilly and windy here in Mass. - no run for me today - just sleep after working on-call last night and dealing with family issues before coming back in here for another 12 hours.............so cool tho - last night i was here for less than 5 hours and I actually saw 5 babies born!! well - kind of cheated because I was the 2nd nurse in the delivery room for 2 patients each having twin girls!! i'll take it!! what a great night!! you guys are going to rock NYC!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #3309

74!! I think I want to move to Oklahoma!! It was very chilly and windy here in Mass. - no run for me today - just sleep after working on-call last night and dealing with family issues before coming back in here for another 12 hours.............so cool tho - last night i was here for less than 5 hours and I actually saw 5 babies born!! well - kind of cheated because I was the 2nd nurse in the delivery room for 2 patients each having twin girls!! i'll take it!! what a great night!! you guys are going to rock NYC!!
                                Hey, what about the mamed and injured running other races...I got duct tape just in case. Tim, Trying To Play Nice!