Masters Running

Weekly Newbies, WE ROCK! 7/28 (Read 458 times)

I came on the computer to balance my checking account but this is more fun. Of course a slap in the face is more fun than balancing an account. Joni, OMG. Not a mini schnauser. OMG again. My daughter just adopted a schnauser poodle mix. Its a schnoodle and she is the most hyper active creature on the planet. Be warned. She's a cutie though and I love her. I had her all week while my daughter was out of town. She wore out my poor corgi. But it was fun. They are loving though. Mike, I'll be there Sat. Well maybe not Saturday but it sure sounds tempting. The hiking sounds awesome. I am taking Ali to Laconia, NH and lake Winnipesaukee for our annual trip. Cant wait. Its so beautiful and relaxing up there. This time I am bringing the kayaks and spending a lot of time paddling at a leisurely pace. Got to go get ready for a run in the rain, because thats all it does here in New England, right Theresa and Kevin. Ugh. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Me

Laurie, there is a lake winepi . . . winnepi . .. winnepeso . . oh hell, there's one of those in Chattanooga too. The guest room has pink walls with big yellow and white polka dots. It's all yours.
        Kevin, good luck on your 5k! We'll look forward to your report! Laurie, don't jinx me! Big grin Hopefully the lack of bouncy poodle genes will count for something! (Actually, I lost out on a yorkiepoo when I first started my search. He was 2 years old and a gem!) My husband grew up with a miniature schnauzer, so I've heard all the wonderful calm stories. Of course she's a pup, so I expect her to be a puppy, but I'm hoping all will go well! It's absolutely unreal how many animals are out there who are "leftovers" from puppy mills. They actually give a lot of dogs to research too. I'd adopt 'em all if I could! What kind of dog? is corgi?
          Joni, nah I wont jinx you. Theyre puppies after all. You'll love her to death but be ready. I did 5 yesterday. 3 alone and at a good pace with some chest pains. Then 2 with my original running partner (remember the babe, ex boyfriend). It seems we get along better as friends anyhow and he is back to running with me. Slow but at least the "sites" are good. Lol. I'm bad. Headed to Laconia, NH tomorrow with DD13 and I cant wait. I have spies in place to keep DD17 in line while we are gone. Creative spies too who remember what trouble a 17 year old can get into. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Rindaroo

Morning - yesterday 2.7 on the treadmill, runwalk & this morning 30 minutes on the stationary bike. Laurie - Yes I'm trying to lose weight. I was up 10 pounds from the time I starting having the nerve issues in March, down 3.2 last week Smile At least I'm able to exercise consistently now, it will help tremendously! Joni - hi there! thanks. Yes I am feeling much much better Big grin Am able to stretch out the anti-inflams more & more, so am hopeful of getting off them eventually.
              Joni, nah I wont jinx you. Theyre puppies after all. You'll love her to death but be ready.
              Well, I hope we're ready!! Picking her up Sunday if all goes well. We're psyched! I'll post a pic or two after we get her.
              I did 5 yesterday. 3 alone and at a good pace with some chest pains.
              Yipes! Chest pains like cardiac pains or sore muscle pains? I hope the latter.
              Joni - hi there! thanks. Yes I am feeling much much better Big grin Am able to stretch out the anti-inflams more & more, so am hopeful of getting off them eventually.
              That's so nice to hear! Keep hanging in there Linda! I squeaked out my longest run to date on Wednesday. Legs a little sore Thursday, but managed a short run anyway. I really need to strengthen my legs but I hate doing it. I'd rather run, so hills look like they'll be my friends as far as strenghtening goes, unless I can motivate myself to do my lower body dvds again. It sure does take a longggg time to get back into shape after a short 18 year break. Blush (Hoping my posting this will publicly embarass me enough to get the dvds out!!) *sigh* It's amazing what getting a puppy will do for cleanliness around the house! Told the kids it's sort of like we're getting a baby, so we need to make sure all things are off the floor, especially small ones, and everything put away! They've attacked the cleaning task like I've never seen before! Heh. Gotta love it. Off to do more organizing! Mornin' to everyone!!
              stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hi guys, the race went well--I just posted the report. time for more studying Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Joni, congrats on your longest! How do you strengthen your legs? Are you using weights? I think you need to enjoy the workout or find something you like doing. Pilates will help too. I got back from Winnepesaukee last night. We had a blast. Eliz, I got to paddle the lake for about an hour! It was awesome. I enjoyed it so much that I am considering buying a sea kayak. And I am going kayaking with my swimming partner tomorrow on a large lake. I cant wait. I ran a bit around NH while I was there. I got a 4 mile run in but it wasnt so great because most of it was on a heavily traveled road. Yuck. Linda, I had 10 to lose too when I got back into running. Dont worry. It goes fast. How are you doing? Shoulder? Kevin, I will go read your race post and reply now. Long run tomorrow with partners. Laurie

Morning all, Anyone race this weekend? How did the weekend runs go? I did 8 miles yesterday with my running partner. My little group is growing. We are up to 4 women now. Then I paddled on a large lake for 3 hours with a friend. I felt great and still do. Perfect day. Laurie

Me

All right, all right. Where is everyone? I went to Virginia Beach to visit my little brother over the weekend. I got home last night. I had a very nice time. I ran 4 miles this morning (I skipped my run on Monday). It was a very nice run. Cheers Mike
                        Morning everyone!! Kevin, congrats on your race!! Great time! Just the fact that you could pull that many people together for the race deserves an award! Wink Glad everyone had fun. Maybe you've even influenced the women to start running some too, how very sweet. Are you still employed after beating your boss? Laurie, I strengthen my legs by using light weights and doing exercises with them- no machines. I like doing hills, so I'm planning on fitting those into my week more. I agree- you have to find something you like if you're going to keep doing it. I think I personally like to be out there in running mode more than doing the dvds- even in the winter. I've run and run and built my mileage, but now am finding that's not going to do it as far as leg strength. I have to focus on it and do some different things. Pilates interest me too, especially since my core needs a ton of work, but I haven't tried it yet. Glad that you've gotten some paddling in! Sounds heavenly. We haven't gotten the pup yet. The day before we were supposed to pick her up, my husband had a visit from a kidney stone, so since Saturday he's been dealing with that. Had surgery Tuesday, so now he's recovering from that. Gets a stint out next week, so it's not over yet. Hoping that goes smoothly. What a way to end the summer! Tongue Needless to say, I haven't been able to get out there and run. I might try to sneak a run in today if he's doing ok. It's hard for him to rest, as he's the type that can't sit still anyway; always has to be "doing" something! So my challenge is to make him take it easy like he should. Cross your fingers for me! Hope everyone's doing well!
                          Mike, How was VA Beach? Did you get good weather or get to run there? Joni, When do you get the dog? I hope DH is doing better. Hard to keep an active person down. At least he has the olympics to entertain him while he rests. Why are you adding weights? Is it to give more running strength or support knees? I dont remember. I miss the gym but just dont have time right now with all the swimmng and running I have been doing. I did 3 miles of trails yesterday and then coached my soccer team. Today I woke with killer hamstring and butt pain so I swam instead of run. It didnt help. Still in pain. I have a long run schedule for tomorrow. I might have to cancel depending on how my legs feel. Laurie

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I had a wonderful 8.2-mile run last night, in 1:31:05. It was a fairly hilly route, too. One road I ran on was where I first started running, and the hills seemed so daunting then! I remember when I first made it 3/4 of a mile and was so excited. Now I've actually started liking moderately hilly runs better than flat ones, because they're more interesting and you can enjoy the downhill parts. My ankle still bothers me when I try to run two days in a row, so I guess I'll keep skipping a day in between.
                              Laurie, depending on how hubby's doing, possibly this weekend for the dog! DH's doing better, thanks! My goal with the weights is to just add leg strength, which I know I need. I haven't had any knee problems (knock on wood), but I know my strength could use some work. I could use that all over infact! There's not enough time in the day!! Good luck with your long run today! Let us know how it went. Teresa, congrats on making so much progress. Good to hear that you're back out there again, and beating the hills down too; great time and distance. I hope your ankle continues to cooperate! You've really played it smart. I finally got out for a run last night after a WEEK off. I thought I was going to melt into a pile of mush if I didn't get out soon. Hoping I can get out today too. This morning started out with heavy thunderstorms, but the sun's shining now, so it's looking good. My son's 9th birthday is tomorrow, but we let him have one of his birthday presents today because he couldn't stand it anymore. He already knew what it was as he picked it out, and his brother had gotten his a bit earlier (birthday's before the 9 yr old's) so we just let him. It's one of those lego type toys with a million pieces...dragons and castles. It will keep both him and the 6 yr old busy awhile! I just need to make the cake and put all the decorations back up that we recently took down! I have a bag full of banners/ signs/ decorations that we put up for every birthday, along with balloons. My little one loves it. He said after we get the puppy, we'll have to do it for the dog too! Hmmm. I guess we could do that! Big grin Have a good one everyone!
                              stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Joni--never pass up a good opportunity for a party. Wink and I would say a new puppy counts! yes, I'm still employed; she encouraged me to take off. Kidney stones don't sound pleasant. not that I've had the pleasure, but I've heard that it's about as close as we guys can come to appreciating childbirth. Teresa--glad to see the miles are still coming along. Every other day isn't too hard to deal with. Laurie--you've been busy with a lot of different athletic endeavors. you're very brave to leave a 17 YO home alone, even with spies. we tried it once with well behaved daughter who got squealed on by big brother for trying to put together a party Shocked Needless to say, she's traveled with us whenever we go up to Maine since then. Linda--glad to hear continued progress. keep up the good work. Mike--a little easier to visit VA beach now? it's a nice place to visit, especially if you like seafood. Deb--you still really busy? don't think I've seen you on the daily recently either. hope things are still going well and no duct taping has been needed. Wink I'm off to White Plains NY on Sunday night for 3 fun filled days of construction supervision and participation. only 12 hour days so it should be fun finding running time. Have a good weekend all. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.