Masters Running

Thurs 4/9 Daily Masters Runs and Fun Stuff (Read 518 times)

Mariposai

handymom, great to see you around here any time you can. Good luck on your 20k, you will do great. walt, great news about Ellie. I too am having so much fun reading about the exciting training and preparation of our Boston Bound friends. We are so very proud of each one of you. 6 miles with 6x30 sec striders in IRC. NO, I don't want to go to work today. I want to stay home and play in the dirt. The tulips and daffodils are almost in bloom.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Fatozzig, it's good to have you back and posting. It sounds like you had a great trip. Walt, I'm glad to hear your youngster is doing better. HandyMom, it's good to get a post from you. Good luck with your training. SLO, it's too bad you had to cross paths with some kids who were jerks. I hope they learned something from the experience. Nice long run for breger. Good job on the speedwork for breger, mariposai (a cool mom with the HS track team), busi, SLO, and ribs. This morning, it was in the high 20s and almost calm. I got in 5 miles about 48 minutes for a 9:37 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
        More running, but not posting much (and I won't bore you with excuses). 5 on the TM on a carpy Tuesday, then 6 yesterday in IRC, and this afternoon it might be just about right for the inaugural bike ride of the season (so there, Mark!). I've kind of fallen in with a group of tri-athletes in my running club. I've got no intentions that way, but at least there's always someone to hook up with for a run or ride. At least I have a certain PR in my first-ever 9K on Saturday (couldn't they have found another K somewhere?) and am officially in training for an HM in AA at the end of May. Good running, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

10.2 easy miles (8:27) on a beautiful but busy day.

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

I've kind of fallen in with a group of tri-athletes in my running club. I've got no intentions that way, but
            Geez Doug......you make tri sound.......well.......Like it's gay. Shocked.....LMAO Hope you get that bike ride in.........I'm chomping at the bit for a nice ride! And not is a gay way Roll eyes

Marathon Maniac #3309

Geez Doug......you make tri sound.......well.......Like it's gay. Shocked.....LMAO Hope you get that bike ride in.........I'm chomping at the bit for a nice ride! And not is a gay way Roll eyes
              Big grin...Glad I don't know any Gal that is that way, and that has a key to my apartment...and scares the crap out of me sometimes when I least expect it Roll eyes Holly, I rested my legs.........promise TimmiBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

wildchild

Carolyn

I am envious of Lou and Bob right now, because their goals and paces are where I was last Fall, and I wanted get back there too...but with time I will Smile
                TimmiBo, don't forget, you're 50 now. Get used to being slower. Evil grin Walt, glad little Ellie is recovering so quickly. How on earth did a statue fall on her head anyway? Handymom, don't worry about your upcoming 20K - you'll get an automatic PR in any case, so just have fun! I think it's fairly common when racing at a new distance to have just reached that distance in training, or even to be a few miles short. SloHand, nice way to share a "teaching moment" with that young driver! Wink I wish I could educate some drivers I saw this morning on my way to work...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Yay to SLO_Hand for saying to those punks what I always wish I could say! I'd love to give a piece of my mind to about 20-30 truck drivers on my road who don't seem tor realize that yes I do have a right to be there and yes they are supposed to yield and move over!! Walt, that's great news about Ellie. Keep us posted on how she's doing. Hi HandyMom/Janet! Good luck with your training and the 20k. I've used variations of the Higdon plans for marathons for years and find they work well with my schedule. You'll do great, just stick with it. Mariposai... playing in the dirt! Wow, it'll be awhile before I can do that. At least another month to 6 weeks. We have tons of ice and frozen slush every morning, and ice and water every afternoon. Just a total mess for awhile, then everything greens up almost overnight. It's pretty cool, but is still a few weeks out. I had a good tempo run last night. A few hills in the first three miles, then mile 4 I got to start back down (nothing steep, just long). Mile 2 was 8:08, miles 4 & 5 were 7:41, mile 7 was just under 7:50. Mile 6 was an out and back along a recently plowed but still icy bike path but I had to turn around when I came upon a huge puddle with ice... That mile was 8:13 (these are all Garmin times, so as Tramps said, add 5 seconds or something?). 5 on the schedule for today, will be easy miles somewhere with no snow/ice. Having to drive to my running spots because those are getting harder to find!
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

Slo Hand, good job! They'll never forget that encounter, I bet! I ran with my newbie friend. She hasn't run much lately, so I was proud of her for making it 10 minutes straight, while pushing her baby in a jog stroller. I did 3 miles with her, including some walking, and then 2 more on my own. My runs haven't felt exactly "perky" lately, probably because of a lack of sleep.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Geez Carolyn, you really know how to make a guy feel good Tongue Wink Erika, you sound more positive about your running Smile Tramps, it's a real cool thing when you can say "10.2 easy miles (8:27)" Very happy Ribs is excited about running...that is super! Hey Tamerilla...did ya hear about what happened??? Tet keeps thinking he is scaring me about some "big hill" at mile 16 at the Seattle Marathon...I'm not scared of some stoopid hill...yeah right, living in flat land Indiana TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

King of PhotoShop

5 slow recovery with the Saint, followed by flex at the Y. SLO is cool. Great story. Spareribs
                          I know what one that would be !.......It's a big party this year. I'm registered and really looking forward to it !
                          Yep, popular here in Iowa. I'll be sneaking it in between my daughter's dance recitals, one on Friday night, and the other Saturday afternoon. She wants to run it with me, but I told her NO, she needs to save those legs for dancing. She's running track this year, though, so she may opt for the 5K, an easy distance for her and we may finish near the same time. Should be fun.
                            TimmiBo, don't forget, you're 50 now. Get used to being slower. Evil grin
                            TimBo - This is UNACCEPTABLE! DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS NONSENSE!!! Wink In due time you WILL gain back that speed you once had. Just continue to take it slow (like I should talk) and listen to your body.
                              SLO that really was a great story. I had a similar incident recently where some kids yelled at me as they drove by and one tried to spit at me and missed (really good thing)....anyways this happened about 2.25 miles out from my house on one of my regular routes. Anyways as luck would have it there's a set of train tracks just past this point and sure enought they got stuck at the crossing by a train...and not the AMTRAK either this was a nice long train. To make a long story short I couldn't resist the urge to go up to them and ask them if they had something they wanted to say to me...of course no one did...I just said "that's what I figured...no balls"...I've seen these guys several times since and they haven't said another word. Yes Usually as the punks drive by yelling or what have you, I'll just raise my hand and give them the old #1 sign if you know what I mean and continue on my way. But the time at the railroad tracks I just couldn't resist saying something back. Hey Lou...if you got my earlier e-mail...we just got our connection with our exchange server back up and running.
                                SLO_Hand all I can add is too bad they did not blow a tire. What @%^@#$%'s! Gorgeous day out today. My DW is working from home as her business closes early today. When it shuts down she is going off for a run and I will head to the gym. Minor medical update. I saw the orthopedist this morning and told him that after a long drive out and back last night my left leg was once again as bad a it has been and showed him where it is sore. So, just like an episode of House that led him to think that I might have multiple problems which is what is making me difficult to diagnose. In a previous episode I developed a type of bursitis known as Weaver's Bottom in my right leg. It is basically caused by sitting a long time, which I do given my commute and job. He thinks I now have it in my left leg. That makes the upper leg feel sore leading me to complain about the area. However, Weaver's Bottom while a pain does not impair running or if it does not by much. So that is not the cause of my problems, but it could be what is making it hard to figure out what is the underlying cause. Next up is an MRI next Tuesday. The orthopedist thinks it may show scare tissue or some other impairment to the sciatic nerve which would explain what is going on. We will see. There have been any number of guesses that have yet to pan out. I hope everybody enjoys their day today and that it is spring time warm and sunny where you are. Yes, even in Alaska!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/