Masters Running

Monday July 14 runs, non-runs, etc. (Read 538 times)

deez, I'm thinking of you and sending good vibes. DickyG, your team did well and that's a nice shirt. It was nice to hear from the Pro. dg, nice run yesterday and congrats on your anniversary. Stumpy, nice comback race. Holly, great pictures. hopeful, it's good to see you back. Where did you camp in Ludington, the state park or one of the other public or private parks? Where did you run? I like to include running out to the end of the breakwater and around the lighthouse as part of my Ludington runs, weather and season permitting. HandyMom, congrats on your new distance PR. roch, even though you're getting in some great biking, I'm sorry to hear that the running is still shaky. Is there any chance you might consider the 5K or 8K at the Crim? I'm hoping I'll be well enough but have thought the shorter distances are a possibility. Nice long runs for biketm (as others have said, the conditions were brutal and you should cut yourself some slack - nice, tough, running in those conditions), breger, PDR, lynden, Sue, hallar, Evan, and Maine. This morning it was in the mid 50s and fairly calm. I got in 6 miles in a bit under an hour for a 9:58 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
      It sounds so much cooler to call it a 10K than 6.2 miles! I hadn't even figured that out yet...thanks everyone for pointing it out! I'm looking forward to the time that it will be and easy 10K rather than a tough 10K. I planned to mow the lawn afterwards as my cool down (it's self propelled, so not as hard as it sounds) I think it definately helped as my ankle is a little stiff, but doesn't hurt today...think I'm on to something.
      pfriese

Good morning, What a wonderful morning for a run. A planned 3 mile run in the neighborhood turned into a 5 mile run as the temperature was in the upper 60's (unheard of for Oklahoma this time of year). I would have run more if I had the time. With the cool temps, it was quite sproinky, too. Have a great week, Paul

Marathon Maniac #957

13th anniversary today. DH just brought me a double espresso & 2 kinds of chocolate.
          Happy Anniversary!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Dicky, I'll match you in Honeymooners quotes any time. My all time favorite is: "Carlos was just teaching us how to do the mambo." A bit over 4 miles today in a bit over an hour. Some miscellaneous work to do today before tomorrow's trip to Chicago. My client has asked me to come up to give a 20 minute speech to their officer group of 600 people. A day's pay for 20 minutes' work. So I am bringing Riblet with me, going up a day early and see the sites. Then he'll hear my speech and will no doubt critique it on the flight home! Spareribs
            Mariposai

So I am bringing Riblet with me, going up a day early and see the sites. Then he'll hear my speech and will no doubt critique it on the flight home! Spareribs
              What a need experience that would be for Riblet to see his old man inspire people in 20 minutes or less. Now the part about critiquing it would be fun to have a recording of it so we can all hear this 12 y/o rip the all man's speech apart...that would be funnnnnnnn. Happy Anniversary dg. Blessings and love to you and your DH. 14 miles for me this morning. 2 miles to complete one thousand miles of running for the year and 12 miles for the twelve months I had a blessing of living this past year. Now off to the lake to bask in the sun and then attend an afternoon concert at the Bach festival in a nearby town. This will be a fantastic way to spend the day.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

"... and 12 miles for the twelve years I had a blessing of living this past year"
                There has to be an interesting story behind this comment! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

evanflein

Mariposai, that's a nice run for a Monday morning! Would like more details on the 12 for 12 part... Dg, Espresso and chocolate! Now THAT's a good anniversary gift! Heck with the flowers.... Handymom, I remember the first time I did the 10k distance before my first 10k race (just to be sure I could do it!)... I was on cloud 9 for a week. Congratulations! Hi Mary! All the puppies gone? How's momma dog handling it? I would think she'd be relieved. Holly, hang in there. I know you'll find ways to keep busy... Any more photo gems to share? My shins are a little sore... might have to ice them down a bit tonight. Haven't had to do that for awhile and it makes me a little nervous. I'm wondering if I didn't warm up enough before running all those miles down and up trails on Saturday... So, will just do some easy miles tonight after work, and ice 'em down afterwards. DS2 has soccer camp again this week and we carpool with a neighbor. He takes them in and I pick them up at noon. So much for lunchtime runs this week. It's amazing how quickly I adapted to that schedule! DH home Wednesday night so he'll probably drive Thursday. I'll run home from work on Wednesday for my last longish hilly run before Sunday's race. Where is the summer going...? School starts for my boys in 5 1/2 weeks!
                  Mariposai

There has to be an interesting story behind this comment! Bill
                    yeap, and that is called delirium from running in the heat...that statement should read...12 months and not twelve years. Surprised

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy Birthday, Butterfly Lady!!! Smile eta - Happy Birthday, Wildchild!!! Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey, Mari, is it really your birthday? It's my birthday, too! We must be long lost twins or something! Wink Sounds like you're having a more fun birthday than I am, with a long run, trip to a lake, and a concert. I'm at work. But DH is going to cook me a salmon dinner tonight!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Busy thread for a Monday. Everyone seems to be getting off to a good start this week. Pouring rain this morning so I waited for a mid-day jaunt. 5.3 miles @ 8:55 pace. Warm with direct sunshine but the air behind the front that came through was not as humid. Ribs--The Chicago Architecture Foundation has great tours of that city's gems. I've taken a couple, one walking, one a river cruise. Both were excellent. Fun and informative way to spend a couple hours there. ETA--Happy birthdays!...and anniversary!

Be safe. Be kind.

dg.

thanks! happy birthdays! Erika, don't get hurt. way to soon to think about school.
                              No running today just some biking later but had to drop in and wish Happy birthday to the Birthday girls. Happy Birthday Wildchid and Mari !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopeful, Glad to see you back. I have been chasing you on the bunny thread ever since I went to Texas and got behind. You are putting in the miles . Keep up the good work and that fall marathon will be a breeze. Roch, My son graduated with a Journalism degree in December and is having the same issues. I bet he has put his resume out to hundreds of companies. Only one interview with the Argus Press in Owasso he got a second interview and even covered a story for them but did not get the job. I think that took the wind out of his sails. He's been working in a greenhouse all summer but that job is about over too. I think he is going to have to look outside of the state . His steady girl has to do some student teaching and then they can go where they want but I think he may have to relocate before her. I know he would love the PNW area. Anyway entry level work is hard to get when all the experianced people are looking for work also. Good luck . Good runs to everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

thanks Tom!! Happy Birthday Wildchild and Mari!! Big grin Big grin Happy Anniversary Deb!! Big grin no running today -- can feel a little pinching in the butt - not too bad just enough to make me cautious -- bought new sneaks today so i think i'll go take a walk in them and do some PT work!! edtied to add: went out for 3 miles - walked 1, ran 1, walked 1 - sneakers feel good so far, now some abs and PT work

denise