Masters Running

Sundaily July 29, 2018 (Read 34 times)

Starting us off.   Good start to the weekend yesterday, Masters!   Thoughts are with those in the area of the horrible fires.

3.3 miles for me to finish off the week.  Lots of geese poop on this particular path....  Hoping to relax for a couple of hours at the pool today.  It's pretty nice outside.     Have a greta Sunday!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

coastwalker

Mornin' KSA and everyone to follow.

I'm very worried about Tammy, and fear that she has had to evacuate. Please share if anyone gets any news about her and her family.

I raced the York Days 5K in York, ME this morning. It was 70° and sunny at the 8:00 start, but fortunately, the sun wasn't yet high enough to wipe out all the shade - the difference in the temp between shade and sun was huge. My gun time had me at a 10:34 pace, and my net time at 10:29. I was about :20 slower at the finish than when I did this race last, two years ago, which is not very impressive. But I was still fast enough to win the competitive walkers div, and finish 4/9 in my AG overall.

Have a greta Sunday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Jay- that is really, really fast walking.  Congratulations.   It is amazing to me what a huge difference shade makes!   I mean, I guess it makes sense, but it still surprises me.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

pfriese

Morning all,

I woke up at 6:00am to a nice summer thundershower, rolled over, turned off the alarm, & went back to sleep. The next time I looked at the clock it was 8:30! So, I didn't get out for my run until 9:00 and by then the clouds were gone, the sun was blazing, & the humidity was brutal. Still, I had a great 8 mile run at a moderate aerobic pace (for me).

Paul

anneb

Nice race, Jay!

Saw some new footage of the fires on the news this morning, it looks so bad. I hope Tammy and others affected are safe.

5 miles for me today to round out a pretty big week for me- 43 miles. Probably will take it back down to 32-35 next week but can’t say I’m any better/worse for a few extra miles (for 1 week). Should really do my hip/glute work later today…

Anne

Happy Sunday folks. A light day here - everyone must be out enjoying the weekend.

Great race this morning Jay! That is freaky fast!

I'm glad your butt/hamstring issues are getting better KSA.

Isn't it just nice to shut the alarm off and sleep a little while longer Paul? The only downside is the higher temps and humidity. Nice run this morning.

I hope Tammy is safe as well. Those fires are awful. I can't imagine having to evacuate my home. Saying prayers that everything is ok there.

With packing up for the move in a few weeks I've been dealing with major flare-ups in my hamstring and butt.  The bending, stretching and lifting are giving me fits. I did manage to walk a couple of miles this morning, and then DH and I played 18 holes. I don't think that helped my problem since I keep my clubs on the cart but walk the course when it's possible. I think I need another session of dry needling. Or something. Praying for a miracle is not working

Have a great rest of your Sunday folks.

Anzlo

Coastwalker - Really nice pace and placement, congratulations !

Tammy - Recent news reports sounded a little encouraging for your area.  My thoughts continue to be with you, family, and friends; stay safe.  Redding area sounds just awful.

I am somewhat encouraged by the last two weeks with 18 and 21 miles, albeit slow miles.  The next 3 weeks I just plan on accumulating regular mileage without any emphasis on speed work.  With run/walk it's a lot like interval work anyway.  With 4 weeks out from my 10K and no expectations other than to finish it should be fun, although I will seriously miss doing the HM for a time or with my wife; such is life.  I will do some all-run miles up to 5 miles in preparation for the 10K but no more; an easy ramp up after 2 months off. Early days the week of the race I will do some mile repeats and rest the two days before the event.

I don't know if any of you follow the Tour de France, but I thought it was a particularly good event this year.  I enjoy watching this every year, some years are more competitive than others. Peter Sagan is pretty unassailable for the green jersey however, he seems to have owned that in recent history.

Have a great upcoming week folks !

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD

Henrun

Returned last evening from the heat of DC and woke this morning to 70’s and much less humidity. Did 3.5 rapid (for me) miles. What a difference this climate makes. Paul, I don’t know how you can even move in that blazing heat.

Congrats Jay.

I keep watching the progress of those NW fires and hoping for the best.

TammyinGP

Hi All! sorry to not check in lately.

we are still at home and are the only area still at an Evac level 1, meaning just start getting ready. the Taylor Creek Fire continues to grow and  threaten homes. many more level 2 and 3 evacuations. The fire is around 20K acreas I think and only 8% contained. the SE corner of the fire is where we are and based on the daily briefings, I think that is the one area that is contained. The non profit I'm a part of is oversight on the animal evacuation center at our local fairgrounds. when we had many more level 3 evacuations yesterday afternoon and into the evening, we had a huge influx of animals brought in. That is why I was absent yesterday. I worked out there from 8-1 and went back again around 4:00 and was there til 12:30 a.m. We went from about 7 dogs and 15 cats to over 60 animals now and countless birds. we aren't even counting them because there are so many. and that's not counting livestock. Another large animal group is oversight of them but I believe we have over 100 head of livestock, including a pregnant goat in labor for the last 4 days. oy! 

the fire is dangerously close to the Rogue River near the Hellgate area and for those that know that area, the Rogue is not very wide through that part. They cannot let it jump the river. So far no structures lost although fire is within 1/2 mile of several homes. Johnny was evacuated last night and he said he and his wife made reservations at a hotel in Medford a few nights ago because he foresaw this coming and wanted to get a hotel before everything was sold out. Doesn't help that the Medford area has their HUGE country music festival going on, so hotels are scarce to begin with. Although with our unbearably smokey air, I don't understand how the festival goers can stand it. 

That's my update for the weekend! Thanks for the concern. Unless winds drastically change, they feel they have a very good burnout line on my area of the fire and are quite confident it won't jump.

Tammy

Quickadder

8.7 early trail miles with DD.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Marathon Maniac #957

Gosh, Tammy - that is so scary.  Please continue to keep us posted.

Dealing with some issues on the home front.  And I am feeling extremely burnt out at work. (sigh)  This too shall pass....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Stay safe Tammy!! I really hope these fires get contained soon!!

Work has been crazy - Friday’s full moon didn’t help us at all!!

Finally enjoying a day off with the hubby in Maine but we both drive back down for work early am. Still, nice to relax on th boat for awhile and heading out for an early dinner!!!

6.2 Maine miles - love my Maine mikes even when it’s sinny hot and humid!!

Happy Sunday!!

denise

...nice Racing jay.......

.......tammy//.....I am so sorry for all of you....

===============

...40-min elliptical.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

...60 degrees this...morning.......

....... and some rare pep..//... in my step // ....

===============

...3.2 miles....

Dealing with some issues on the home front.  And I am feeling extremely burnt out at work. (sigh)  This too shall pass....

(((Holly))) and (((Tammy))) Thanks for the update Tammy. Much appreciated. Stay safe!