Masters Running

Bull Run 5K Race Report (Read 345 times)

Bull Run Festival of Lights 5K, proceeds to benefit Wounded Warrior Project and Bull Run Regional Park, 12/31/07 This was a small race, just over 200 runners, which took place at 3:00 in the afternoon. It was my second race ever and I didn't commit to it until the last minute. I've chickened out of lots of races, but thought this might help me end the year on a high note. And the cause, the Wounded Warrior Project, is near and dear to my heart. Even a small race must be hard to put together. The organizers did a great job with the route, with lots of volunteers along the way, calling out mile markers, and great post-race snacks. And the long-sleeved t with the wounded warrior logo is pretty cool looking. The only problem for me was the lack of signs as you enter the park. I allowed extra time for getting lost and put it to good use. Fashion report: The forecast was for 50 F, so I brought along my running skirt in case it was warm when I arrived, but it was chilly and the wind had a bite in it, so I ran in my black pants and even kept my blue windbreaker on. I was warm by the end, but that was the least of my troubles. I wore my white baseball cap, sunglasses, and my Brooks Adrenaline GTS 6's. I started out too fast. I knew it but I didn't care. By the second mile I cared a little, but was excited about my pace (mile 1 was 8:58 - blazing for me) and wanted to keep it up. I spotted a woman who looked older than me and I thought if I could stay with her, and pass her in the end, I might win my age group. That bit of strategerie didn't work out. She got away from me. I never saw her again. My mile 2 pace was 9:07. By mile three I was wiped out and was really pushing to maintain my pace. I was running just behind an older man who appeared to be struggling, wheezing loudly but keeping up his pace. In retrospect I don't think he was struggling, but just breathed like that when he ran. My guess is he finished ahead of me. I ran mile 3 in 9:07, same as mile 2. The last .1 was a bit hairy. I started to feel a little queasy, and kept thinking the finish line must be right around the corner. When I reached the blessed chute, I had nothing left to give. I goofed up with my watch and hit the wrong button. But apparently it took me 1:09 to finish the last .1 mile. My total time was 28:21, which I'm delighted with. I finished 115th out of 208. My previous 5K, in Nov 06, was 30:51. Not sure if I'm faster now. I know I ran a lot harder than I did in my first race. I hung around, eating and drinking and waiting for the results to be posted. It was worth the wait to find that I was the fastest old lady of the five 50-59 yo's that showed up. I even took home a medal which is now hanging on the tree. Thanks for letting me share my race with you. I can't imagine that I would have run it if it weren't for CR/RU Boomers. You all inspire me so. Happy new year. Jem
    hup

Congratulations to you, Jem!!! Your ran hard and it paid off for you with a new PR and an exquisite trinket Big grin Those queasies at the end, I call that "lighting the puke light". Wink Great way to finish your year! hup
        FANTASTIC! Nice pacing. I read in an RW article a few months back about the strategy of starting the 5K a bit fast and hanging on to the finish....as opposed to starting out slower and kicking near the end. Looks like that strategy worked out perfectly for you. And an AG win!!!
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        spacityrunner

What a great race for you. Way to start and stay strong...and hardware at the end. Great way to end 2007 and begin 2008. Whoo hoo!!!

Trails Rock!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Way to go Jem!!! I think you're the first of the newbies to cop an AG win. Remember, it's not the size of the race that matters, you beat everyone that showed up to run. I think I can speak for all the others regulars when I say how proud we are of you. and a 2-1/2 minute PR is fantastic. I think you really raced, not just ran. I hope I can get myself to move outside my comfort zone a bit this coming year. Once again--WAY TO GO!! happy new year's to all. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

dg.

Jem, congratulations on running your second 5K! What a way to end your year. 1st in AG Big grin. I'm so happy for you. It does sound like you had a good strategy. We made it through the year. Wink. older but wiser? I'm looking forward to the next one. Happy New Year to you too-- and to all your family.
                Good race, jemmmmmmama. Dark Horse
                I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                huskydon

Wow! You did a great job! You thought you went out too fast (but you didn't care! I loved that!), but it seems like it actually was a great pace for you. And congrats on your AG win! Fantastic job! huskydon
                    That was an excellent race and report! Congrats on the hardware! Yes you are faster, no doubt about it. And you really raced it with those times and feeling pukey at the end. Those wheezy guys, they pass me all the time. I feel like if I was breathing that heavily I'd be about to drop.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

nice race Jem!! congrats on the medal!!

denise

Congrats on hardware and new PR. Keep up the good work

Marathon Maniac #957

I started to feel a little queasy, and kept thinking the finish line must be right around the corner. When I reached the blessed chute, I had nothing left to give.
                          That's when you know you ran your best... Smile Great racing, Jemmama - congratulations on your PR and AG win!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Rindaroo

Awesome race JEM!!! A great PR, and AG too, it just can't get any better than that. I'm glad to see you've made the move over from CR too Smile
                            SteveP

Jem!!!!!!!!!!!! Flippin Sweet!!!!! 2nd race and a hard, (well deserved) AG win!!!!!!!!!! You have a lot to be proud of. Nice ornament.

SteveP

Nice race, jemmama. How neat to get a PR and an AG win. Congratulations. Brother Dave (selb3 from CR) and I have a sister who lives in Bristow. Last summer while visiting to go to our nephew's wedding, we made a quick visit to the battlefield. We commented that it looked like a nice place for a run. TomS