Masters Running

Wednesday 12.21.16 (Read 26 times)

mrrun

I hope Jay is getting better - I miss his recaps and his starts.

I was not up at j o'clock, but still got out for a sunrise 4 mile run - fortunately with minimal wind.

for those of you debating about seeing the movie Patriots Day (no interest here), Ty Burr has an awesome review in todays Globe

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/movies/2016/12/20/patriot-act-marathon-bombing-gets-hollywood-treatment/hy98c7gZs58MLoXmZtgbcJ/story.html

happy baking and picture taking - our Hanukkah party is in January because that's when we can all get together, although sweet potato latkes are on the menu for the 24th.  Our gifts are similar to Erika's - trips, theater, and dining and spur of the moment things we think the other person would like.  Sunday we saw Fiddler on the Roof and today a matinee with friends.

Enjoy the day and keep the snow and winds where people want them!

marj

I went out for 5 freezing miles with my training partner this morning. Not all that bad after a mile or so. She was planning to run a HM this January but is discouraged and I think may not do it. She could undoubtedly run it. Just not as fast as she is used to. I guess going from routinely placing in your AG to just running the race it is tough to make the transition. She could still place if she put in the miles, but she does not want to do that. I wish I could turn her attitude around on either the training or just running front. She always loved racing and it is a bit sad to see her drop it from her life.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

Good Morning All! So much to do today with only today and tomorrow left to work. oy!

Leaving work a bit early today though to get in a track run with a couple friends. Our own version of the longest night run I suppose   The track we'll meet at has some nearby street lighting but I brought my headlamp along anyways.

Have a good day all!

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

I have the TM repairman scheduled to come look at my non-working gifted TM on Friday, but decided on a lark to go out and try it again this morning.  And you know what?  It works now!  Maybe it had just been sitting unused so long it needed a couple of attempts to get it moving.  And it is so amazing, so quiet to run that I can hear the TV now.  I just did the basic manual workout, but it can do so much more that it will take me a while to learn the capabilities - very excited!  Of course, I think I will probably still have the repairman come to service/lube it, since it hasn't been used in several years.

6.2 miles for me this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Nice, Holly! I've been thinking of replacing mine since it did spend a summer outside wrapped up in tarps, but it was our record rainy summer. It seems like it takes so long to "warm up" and run smoothly these days. It squeaks a lot when I first get on it and has that "I need a lube" drag or hesitation at first. I don't want to tighten the belt much more but that sometimes helps. Anyway, once I get going it is fine, but it can take awhile sometimes. It's not quite 10 years old, but I think the summer outside aged it a lot.

Marj, it seems we all have enough "stuff" and really don't need more. Years ago, my mom said "if I can't eat it, drink it or wear it, I don't want it." I might even cut that "wear it" thing as I have more than enough to wear. Memories of experiences last longer anyway, and who doesn't like a nice bottle of wine or a pound of favorite coffee? We get things for the kids and with our boys really getting started in life I know there are things they need. Christmas is sure easier when it's not just a mad pursuit of buying presents.

I've enjoyed the last couple of evenings running outside, even with temps hovering just barely above zero. We are getting more snow today though, so the cleared paths will be a little more challenging and I certainly won't try the intervals I was thinking of today. Might end up going home to run those on my poor ol' treadmill (after letting it warm up a few minutes).

Dave59

I ran 4.64 this morning.  Black ice had caused about 10 accidents on the interstate this morning so I waited until the sun was up before I went out.  I complain about my job but working at home gives me a lot flexibility to run when it is safer.

Holly - My TM used to have a way to adjust the belt tension.  Could be they may do that if there is an slippage.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Erika--it wouldn't have anything to do with the several miles you've put on it in those 10 years, would it?

5k lake loop this morning.  Then into trip prep mode. Good thing we each have two free checked bags.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Stumpy, happy travels to see your DD!  Wish I could see mine for Christmas, but she's in Croatia - still on her extended honeymoon.

Cold and rainy today, so we're hanging out at camp with our friend and his dog. The dog dynamics with our 2 dogs and his dog are fascinating to watch.

Hey, Happy solstice! The days are getting longer!  Camping in the winter means lots of extra sleep, since we go to bed early and don't get up till the Sun comes over the mountains to warm up the van.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Two minutes more daylight tomorrow! Just can't wait. Glad to hear that Holly's TM is running well again. You're probably right that it just needed to be "broken in" again after sitting all that time. Makes me wonder about maintenance on our old TM as well.

I woke up too darn early this morning and had trouble getting back to sleep mainly because I itched all over. Based on past experience, it's spending time in that chlorinated pool that really dries things out. Not too sure what to do about it, but I do want to keep on swimming once a week or so this winter.

Nothing aerobic today -- just a strength workout at the gym. I've been making a concerted effort this winter to work more seriously on building up or at least maintaining some upper body strength. I've definitely noticed that things whose weight I didn't used to think about now seem much heavier. I lugged a 40-lb bag of ice melter from Home Depot into my car and from there into the garage and I could really feel the strain on my arms and back.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Head Procrastinator

Hey hey, been lurking. Not much to say lately.

Very cool about the treadmill, Holly. And Roch Jr and the cookies.

Ran 4 this AM. Did a small group training at a woman's house this evening. My inner thighs are gonna be sore for sure.

I have a brunch to go to in CT on Saturday morning. I reserved a hotel room, but trying to decide it noon on Friday will be a bad time to drive.

Have to cancel by tomorrow if I decide to wait till Saturday.

Happy happy to all y'all

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                      evanflein

5.7 miles tonight in new snow that made the first couple miles way harder than they needed to be. Did the last few miles on residential roads... less traffic and hard pack much easier to run on! We're supposed to get cold again tomorrow so I'm saving my TM run for then.