Masters Running

Bad Axe 5K - Bad Axe, MI (Read 238 times)

Summary 27:08 8:45/mi 54/84 OA 2/3 AG This is my 8th consecutive year for this race. I can only say that about one other race. This is my 9th year of doing races and none that I did my first year are still in existence. As stated other years, this is a small, low tech, race. Lee, the race director starts the race with a muzzle loading rifle with a bore that looks like a cannon. There are no race numbers but rather they use the popsicle stick method at the finish. Instead of shirts, they hand out running socks. For age group prizes, first is a turkey, second a pumpkin pie, and third a jug of cider. When I left for the race, I wasn't feeling very enthusiastic about running but knew I would see a lot of my friends and would perk up a bit when I got there. The temperature was in the high 20s and there was a noticeable wind that would be the worst for the second half of the race. After visiting in the DPW garage for awhile, we headed for the starting line and I overdid the visiting as Lee let loose with his blunderbus while I was hanging around behind the starting line talking with one of my friends. Since I was behind everyone at the start, there wasn't anyone to pass me unless I passed them first. One thing that was neat was that there were a bunch of young kids, most of them girls from a local "Girls on the Run" group. In the first mile, I passed quite a few people. From then on, I did pass a few more and I think only one passed me. As I turned the last corner, with about half a mile to go, I saw a little guy about half my height a ways ahead of me. Even though I'm not fast, I couldn't imagine his short little legs moving fast enough for him to be ahead of me. Before the finish, I was able to finally pass him and a couple more runners. I did some more visiting while the rest of the runners and the walkers came in and they got ready for the awards. I got my pie for second in age group and was not surprised that the little guy I passed at the end was first in the under 10 age group, and by quite a margin. After the awards they had some turkeys, pies, and cider left so they had a drawing. I got a turkey. So, for my $12 entry fee, I got a pair of socks, a turkey, and a pumpkin pie. After I got home and checked my Garmin, I found my mile splits to be 8:35, 8:49, 8:41, and my pace for the last little bit 7:30 (I guess I had a kick left, maybe too much). It wasn't anything spectacular but I got my monthly racing fix and social event. It was another good day at the races. TomS

Hill Runner

Nice run Tom especially the last mile! That race seems like a no-brainer...socks, turkey AND a pumpkin pie. It looks like you could actually make some money on that deal. Smile No wonder you have been running that race for 8 consecutive years... Wink

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

So, for my $12 entry fee, I got a pair of socks, a turkey, and a pumpkin pie.
        Such a deal. With a ROI like this, who cares where you finished. Dark Horse
        I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
          Great race Tom...And nice prizes too!!!
          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
          huskydon

Good job, Tom! Nice running and a nice haul after the race. Sounds like a good time meeting up with the friends too. huskydon
            SteveP

Tom, It's kewl how your races are as much about fellowship as they are about competition. When's dinner??

SteveP

Tom, sounds like a fun time. Yes, the schwag was greta!
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                DickyG

Tom... I think you have a fast time, especially under those sub-freezing temps. Very consistant mile splits and your competitive spirit enabled you to pass some runners at the end. The race itself is one of the coolest I've ever heard about...turkeys, pies, socks, popsicle sticks...and just the name of the town (and race) itself. A big congrats...and hey!...next year you move into the 65-death age group! DickyG
                    Tom you have some fun races up there in the thumb. I like the not so serious feel a lot of them have. When I saw that you were planning this race I half thought of sneaking up there and running with you. Instead I stayed home and watched all the Michigan football teams get creamed. Yes I think you did make out on the entry fee VS. what you took home. Friendly conversation included. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

selb3

Way to go Tom. Nice race, consistent pace, and bringing home various components of the turkey day dinner to boot! Dave
                        Nice haul on the socks, pie and bird! As a sometimes blues musician, I think this town and race have the coolest name ever. I believe the late great guitarist Sons Seals had an album and called "Bad Axe"... Ray
                        Tramps

Another windy race in the 20s. You really know how to pick 'em. Shocked Great job and some nice goodies to bring home, too.

Be safe. Be kind.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Way toi go Tom!! Nice pace and nice finish time and great haul.. That is one sweet deal! Congratulations!! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

dg.

Tom, what a fun report. wtg passing that little guy! Nice you saw your friends & took home dinner. & socks! Smile I think you were fast too. Nice job. thanks for sharing.

Marathon Maniac #957

So, for my $12 entry fee, I got a pair of socks, a turkey, and a pumpkin pie.
                                Hot Dog! What a bundle of booty! Nice racing in cold weather, visit with friends, and well worth your entry fee with the loot you brought home!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."