Masters Running

Weds 7/8 Daily....Masters Rock I tell Ya!!! (Read 425 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning everyone. I am up early to run 3 or so recovery miles, then I have a super busy day ahead of me. Hey Kevin and Amy....who is this Terry - Tito character I am being compared to....is he adorable and cute also. Amy, what do ya mean I couldn't stand still....you were the one B Bopping all over the place that weekend, and you even "broke" into our house we stayed at (grins) But have to admit, I get accused alll the time of being antsy and people tell me all the time....would ya chill out and stand still for a moment, would ya. What a GRETA day yesterday was with my workouts....one of those days we all dream about, and wish happened more often. Was suppose to be around 56 miles with two 12.5 mile time trials in the middle. The really fast and serious Cyclists showed up and they wanted to do hill work....fine with me, except for the hills. We / they decided to ride South where we actually have some seriously big hills for Indiana. On my way to the meeting place - 5 miles from home. I noticed my HR was "super" low, and my legs felt remarkably great....that's a good thing. We freaking hauled butt to a town called Haggerstown riding at 28 to 30 mph....there was a Pro Triathlete there that is a real work horse (Zach) My HR was so low, that I was able to get into the "mix" and do my fair share of pulling the paceline too....felt great the whole way. Once we made it to the hills, the group kinda split up because of the differing abilities of climbing hills. We all got hooked back up and sped back the 35 miles back home. We had the wind to our backs going, and against the wind returning, but our pace really never slowed down much till we got home. I am very very happy with my 10 mile run in the am, 78 miles cycling in the pm, for a 88 mile day...and it all felt great. I really don't know where this is all coming from, but it's like I have a new lease on life since I can workout and not worry about anything. Sorry, as you all know how excited I get sometimes about good - and hard efforts (smiles). I am going to bike and run right through my 1/2 Ironman this Sat....because the training is sooo much fun. Then my 160 mile bike race the next weekend. Then buckle down for my A race Marathon in the Fall....need to BQ! Another big day today with a "Ribs special" Mid week long run, with a track workout (tonight)....will cycle some too. Hope all my Dear and special Friends here at RA have a great and wonderful Day!!! TimBo PS: Bill, I do indeed feel like I am back in business.....

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Slo

Morinin Tim........Best of luck with the Half Iron !

Gettin ready to head to the pool followed up with a run. I did 9.17 miles last night......plan called for interval work  but it just wasn't there. Rather than plow my way thru I kept the run easy to see what today brings. I'll know in about an hour !

Happy runs and work outs wished to all !

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hey Kevin and Amy....who is this Terry - Tito character I am being compared to....is he adorable and cute also.

Tim--I don't know what you mean about being hyper--you'd never know it from your posts  .  Terry/Tito would be Terry Francona, the manager of the Red Sox.  We all think he's cute and adorable, particularly since he happens to win a lot.  Just looked up his bio and you guys are just about the same age, too.  (April, 1959)  Eerie coincidence?

Nice ride BTW.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

"Back in Business" Tim?  I'd say so.  Really you were never out of business.  You just had a temporary "speed bump".

Okay Dg.  Here's our planned workout for today.  Let me know how you do. 

Stamina work.  77° and 85%.  The plan called for:

2 miles of warm up at an easy pace

12 x 1/4 mile at 15K race effort (7:51 or so), 30 seconds walk recoveries

4 x 150 meters at 3K race effort, 150m jog recovery

2 miles of cool down at an easy pace

The 1/4 mile segments came in at:

8:11 pace

7:59

7:51

7:53

7:51

7:43

7:44

7:50

7:44

7:34

7:32

7:30 (7:48 average)

I was sluggish during the warm up and didn't know how this one would go.  But got to feeling pretty good after the workout started.

What I'd like really like to know is who is responsible for messing with the space/time continuum and shortening those 30 seconds walk recoveries down to (what seemed like) 10 to 15 seconds near the end.  That was rude ...

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Tim - I think I'm exhausted just reading about your day.

Bill - the same goes for your workout this morning.

This morning I set out for my run in the usual predawn darkness, listening to disk 9 of Stephan King’s From a Buick 8 on my mp3 player.  I made it about 1.5 miles when I suddenly set my foot in a divot in the pavement, snapping my right ankle sharply sideways and sending me to the pavement in an explosion of pain.  I remember quite clearly as I fell having several thoughts, including, “well, I’ve broken my ankle this time,” and “I guess I won’t be racing any more this season,” and “I wonder how I’ll make it back home.”

I wanted to get out of the middle of the street, so after a moment I was able to get up and hobble to the curb, realizing that my ankle was not, in fact, broken.  After a few minutes sitting on the curb I tested it and found I could walk on it, and even jog slowly after a bit.  Amazing.  While it hurts when I wiggle it sideways, the forward movement of running doesn’t seem to bother it, and other than a skinned left knee and some mild soreness in the ankle, I don’t seem to have any lasting damage.  I spent the next 10 minutes in fervent prayers of gratitude for my deliverance from what I had been certain was a crippling injury.  

9 easy-paced miles in 69° (ave pace 10:01).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Ran 5.7 trail miles this morning with a friend. These were some fairly new hike-bike trails that the park has put in, so I was seeing them for the first time. They were also a bit rougher than the trails that I've been doing, and sure enough I did a minor face plant when I tripped over a small sapling stump or maybe a rock -- mainly just got dirty with a couple of minor scrapes. Since I have a big trip planned for next week, I was almost going to skip running today in fear of getting injured, but it looks like I dodged that bullet (this time).

Speaking of next week, this is my last post for a little while as I embark Friday morning on a week-long cycling & camping tour. More about that when (if?) I get back.

The rest of you are not allowed to slack off in my absence!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Holly, don't be lulled here.  Ice that ankle quickly and get off it.  Try to keep any swelling down.  If your ankle sprain gets really discolored (bruised), swelled up, and tender go see your Doctor.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Renee the dog

Holly, take it easy the rest of today, OK?!!!  That was close!

3 mi of fun on the TM -- just 4 x 1 min hill sprints...I can't ramp on this program as much as he wants.  Must be my "masters" bod kickin' in.  But, it's the spirit of the plan and that's goodness for me.

Then, just for a fun cool down, I got to run out of the house like my hair was on fire to gather all the beach gear off the lawn that was hosed down first thing this morning.  I never knew the sound of a weed whacker could strike such fear into me!  (First time our lawn care guys ever showed up in the morning!).  I'm still thankful that I didn't run in my underwear today, because I'm not sure I'd have remembered I didn't have on regular running gear before exiting the house.

The rest of today is washing some windows and then Renee and I are shooting for a 5 miler tonight to catch the sunset.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Sounds nice Roch, have fun!

TimBo, sounds like you're in great spirits!  Glad to see you doing so well.

SLO, some days you just gotta listen to the body and adjust.

Breger, nice workout!  I hear ya about those recoveries towards the end.

Holly, oh no, yikes, glad to see you were relatively ok.  Make sure you rest and ice that ankle.

Out for a tempo run, I LOVE me tempo days   I only started to doing speedwork again last month so I've only done one other tempo day.  Today's run was 4.09 mi (7:52 avg) with 2.5 mi in the middle at tempo pace 7:20.

Have a great Wednesday

rs

Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)

Marathon Maniac #957

No really, guys, it's fine.  5 hours later and it's not swollen or discolored at all.  That's what is so bizarre - it hurt so much when I did it, but then it seems to be hardly anything now (and I'm very grateful for that).

Roch - that sounds like so much fun!  Wish my DH thought that, too. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, some hard workouts for Tim, Bill, and Amie, and some face plants by Holly and Doug! 

Holly, I've had a couple of turned ankles that really hurt at first but then I could run on them after a few minutes - but do ice and elevate it today, just as a precaution.   I've also had a couple of turned ankles that I had to stay off of for a couple of days.  Please don't hesitate to take a few days off if you need to. 

Doug, have fun on your cycling/camping vacation!  We won't slack off while you're gone...

It's hot in Denver this week - supposed to get to nearly 100° today in the flatlands.  Last night I did a 3 mile trail run on the way home - 69° with a big cloud blocking the sun, so it felt good.  Avg pace right around 12:00, with the uphill part averaging 14:14 pace and the downhill part at 9:03 pace.  My favorite meadow trail, and the wildflowers are gorgeous!  I'm planning another trail run on the way home tonight - it's 20° cooler in the mountains than in town, although it still might be kinda warm if it really hits 100° today.  Just the way I like it!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Don't worry, Holly won't take any time off. She'll run on that ankle even if it needs a full tape job beforehand. (H-keep an eye on it, ok? sometimes those things come back to haunt you)

Nice workout Byll! You must've programmed that one again. No way could I remember what 1/4 mile lap I was on after about 3...

Have fun, Doug! We won't get into too much slackin' mischief while you're gone...

For all the cold we get in winter, we can get pretty toasty in the summer! We could hit 90 today... and of course this is mid-week sorta-long-run day... and that means 8-9 miles RAW, right in the highest temps of the day. I'll take water...

Mariposai

Got a phone call and some nice pictures from our vagabond in Japan. I will try to post them later.

I am still playing hostess to a group of Chinese doctors visiting the WA to learn about our Rural Health Care System. Having a great fun with them.

8 miles this morning in cool weather. This is week two of post-marathon recovery plan for me. I normally take two weeks to just do whatever the body tells me to do after a marathon. Today the brain told the body to run nice and steady. So I ended up with a nice 9:00 ave. pace for 6 miles. Not bad, not bad at all.

How is the back feeling today twocat.

Where is SRLopez?

Where is Hallar?

and Cranium?

and Mary?

Me luuvveee Aamos

me think the wiseone is so cool also

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #3309

Very nice track work "speedy" Bill...those recoveries do seem to get shorter. I really believe you are primmed to finally have a super Marathon and BQ, really. Holly, don't scare us all like that...hey, did ya rub some dirt on it as that makes all mishaps feel better. Sounds like from what you said, you will be fine. Thanks Slo, like I said...I am just going to train right through the race and I am not concerned with time....and I am going to "fake" my way through the 1.2 swim (haven't swam for a very long time) Hope you find a 1/2 IM that you can get excited about Buddie. Thanks for explain'n that to me Kevin...I will have to check up on this "supposed" look a like...is it the shiny head" (grins) That sounds like fun Doug....enjoy. No, there will not be any slacking going on while you are gone. I have never done a Tour like that before, but I bet it is fun with all the different people you meet. RS, nice tempo run....me likes speed work too. Nono, you are sooo funny Girl (smiles)...enjoy your run tonight into the sunset. Very smart running Nancy Dear...good recovery plan after a Marathon (I didn't get the memo) Wow Carolyn, that is hot...but your runs always sound so magical and nice where you live. Hey Erika, I have a problem counting laps too. This may seem silly, but I put as many rocks on the track as the number of repeats I am going to run. Then I simple remove a rock after every repeat...works for me (boy, the things I admit to sometimes, but at least I am honest about being goofy). About ready for my mid week long run with 6 - 1000 M repeats..not quite so hot today, and my legs feel good (I have put these legs through a lot since my Marathon, but I am being careful and everything is holding up well. Hope everyone has a good rest of the day. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

dg.

Bill.. if only I'd read this first!     and it might have been a little too cool here.  46° when I started.    Thank you though... and one of these days.     If you're sure to print our workout by 9:00 a.m. I'm safe.   I mean... I'm in.  Wink.

Oww!  Holly, I agree.  Please be really careful.  But so far... what a huge relief! 

Doug. you too?   You both had me cringing (since falling is near & dear to my heart lately).    Have a great time!   We want one of your well-written reports, & pictures. 

Nono  Big grin.

... my ramping is a bit sub-par too.   but gave I gave it a try.

Nice run, Nancy Smile

better get back to work.   5.02 miles this morning, average pace 10:18, ahr 159.  I was a little sore this morning, just one of those days but it was ok.  I was supposed to do 7X400 meters at 3K race pace, but since I hadn't seen our plan yet I did them more slowly.  ;-).       Did I ask about abs before?  My lower abs are really sore, even when I walk.   Probably psoas, but I'm not sure what to do about them.   Seems silly. 

happy day to all.