Masters Running

Race Reports for July 20 & 21 weekend (Read 16 times)

Mariposai

Look at our intrepid racers!!! They are ready to conquer their fields!!!

7/20 Joe618 - Eight Hour Dream Endurance Race, Indianapolis Indiana

07/20 milktruck - Clam Festival 5-Mile Classic, Yarmouth, ME

07/21 evanflein - Gold Discovery Run 16.3 miles

07/21 tetsujin  -  Seafair SuperSprint Triathlon (Seattle) - barefoot

We are really looking forward to reading your race reports.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

For the last two years, my granddaughter has asked to do a race with me sometime during the summer.  She is very busy with soccer and I am very busy with my running, so it was hard to find a time when it would fit in, this year.  I had something change for me for this Saturday that allowed me to be able to do a race so we jumped into a small local race at the last minute.  I did an 8k and my granddaughter did a 5k.

I had no expectations for this race and figured that if I could maintain a 6:30 pace, I would be happy with that.  The 5k and 8k started at the same time with the 5k runners turning left and the 8k runners turning right about a quarter mile down the road.  A group of guys took of like a rocked at the start and I had enough sense to just stay back and do my own thing.  At the turn I thought I saw 2 guys turn right which left me in 3rd place.  About a mile into the race, a guy passed me but I was at 6:15 in the first mile, so I stayed on my pace.  I felt good.  I was working hard but not stressing myself.  I just kept as steady as possible.  With about a mile and a half to go, I started catching the guy who passed me earlier.  I really didn't want to pass him too early but I looked at my watch and saw that I had slowed to a 6:30 and picked up my pace.  When I pass somebody, I like to get as much distance between them and me as I possibly can.  I want to take all hope of catching me again out of them as soon as I can.  So, I gave it everything I had and I finished pretty strong, finishing the last mile in around 6:16.

I ended up taking 2nd overall and my granddaughter was 1st for the women in the 5k.  It was a whole lot of fun.  Have I every told you how much I love running with my grandkids?

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

As much as you do with Ryan?  wild guess.

Nice race for both of you!  I think she did better, since we expect you to podium whenever you race 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.