Masters Running

Flower City Challenge Tri RR (Read 353 times)

Yellowjacket racing, here in Rochester NY came up with an idea to start a big running event, something that will one day be a destination run in our area. This is much like the Boilermaker in Utica. They didn't know what to expect for the duathlon and triathlon, and were shooting for about 450 for the inaugural half. There was also a 5 K. They got over 200 du and triathletes, and over 1300 for the half.

When I saw the concept I wanted to try my hand at triathlon, then agreed later to run the half with DW. The tri was a 5K run through Genesee Valley Park, 20 mile bike through a southern suburb and some nice rollers, and a 5K Kayak or canoe on the Genesee River. What made the whole thing even better for me is these are the roads, trails and river that I do most of my running, biking, and kayaking on so I was very familiar with the course.

The day started out in the mid 30's, a little cold but it was never a problem. My goal for the run was 25:00. When the horn went off I kept a steady pace, as I wound my way through Genesee Valley Park on the Genesee River trail. There were lots of volunteers to thank as I ran. The run felt good and as I crossed the last bridge and swung for the transition area I peeked at my watch. I was going to beat my 25:00 goal, and I was feeling strong. I finished the run in 24:48.

Never having done a triathlon the transition was something I haven't experienced. I had everything laid out well, but had trouble with a zipper on my cycling jersey, which cost me a little time. A little over 2:00 later I was out on my bike.

I passed a couple of people right away, then tried to just settle into a good pace. The road was a little rough at the start, and I was with a fair number of riders. Drafting wasn't allowed, but with a course that was also open to traffic and some good hills it couldn't always be avoided. There were four decent climbs on the bike course, and all in the first half. I passed more riders than I thought i would on the climbs, and weighing 215 lbs I almost always pass people on the descents (oh gravity). My goal on the bike was 1:10:00. The second half of the bike was spent riding solo, which was fine with me. I pulled into the transition in 1:07:00. I was ahead of my goal again.

Back into the transition and I soon learned a flaw in my race strategy. I was going to wear a camelback on the kayak, but completely forgot to take into account my PFD, oops. I decided to forego water on the kayak. Volunteers put my kayak in as I ran out of the transition and held it for me. I asked one if he could hand me my skirt (spray skirt to keep the 40 degree river out of my boat) then he said man, first time I've heard that today. I was off with a good laugh. This was another part I had not practiced. I hadn't cycled then kayaked. My legs were fine, but my hands kept getting numb from gripping the paddle. I went easy downriver, preparing for the return. On the way back upriver two women in a canoe passed me. I think it was their first time in a canoe, because  they covered every inch of that river, including (almost) the front of my kayak. I saw them later trying to get themselves out of some overhanging branches along the shore. My hands felt better on the return and I picked up the pace. I kept counting out 10 paddle strokes and repeating to get myself to the finish. At the finish volunteers helped you out of your kayak, then it was a 200 yard run to the finish. I crossed the line in 2:24:39. Goal accomplished as I was shooting to finish under 2:30:00. I finished 46 out of 85 kayakers, and 8/12 AG. I had a great time and felt like I would still be able to run the half the next day. It was a great course with a good turnout and awesome volunteers making it happen. My only minor disappointment, being a resident of the Flower City, was I didn't do well enough to get an award. The organizers gave out flowers, in a terracotta pot that had the race logo on it, very cool. I will definitely do another tri, and all my base building this winter and spring paid off. Stay tuned for the 1/2 marathon report.

I suppose I should wait for chapter two---but I don't want to.

Way to go Craneium on making your goals big time. I know the area well and can just picture the course. Well done even without transition practice and all that. Impressive! Yellowjacket racing always does a good job and I bet they'll turn this into a signtaure event easily---plus there's lots more to see and do in Rochester (no offense to close-to-my hometown Utica....but)

report on your half soon!

Congrats!

wildchild

Carolyn

Sounds like a fun inaugural race! Glad you beat your goals, too.  I think I'd like that kind of tri that has kayaking instead of swimming.

Good luck to you and your DW at the half tomorrow!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I think I would need to find a tri that uses kayaks instead of swimming, too.  As a swimmer, I'm a decent runner.  It sounded like a lot of fun.  Not to insult Karin, but I think Rochester has more going for it than Utica

Did you have to bring your own kayak?  I can imagine it was a little cold this time of year.  Were you above or below the FAlls?  I would definatley think of coming back to do this.

Looking forward to chapter 2.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Very interesting report, was this your first tri?  Sorry you didn't get an award, sometimes they are really cool eh?  And now the next chapter???

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

Craneium is my idol...and this RR just sealed it!

Way to go man. I so enjoyed this race report. I had to read it twice to make sure I did not miss anything.

way to go with your time man....and you had fun all the while

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Slo

These races are a blast ! 

Nice job on all three legs.

The Kayak / Canoe portion can be decieving. It's more work than one thinks ! If you ever do one with the kayak first you may be suprised at how "dead" your legs are when you get out of the boat.

Glad you enjoyed it !

Sounds like fun, Crane.

Nice pics.  Don't see many reports of the kayaking....and something I've been wanting to try. 

Congrats!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  SteveP

Way to smoke your goals!!!!! The race sounds like a lot of fun. I like your attitude.

My first tri, we had to canoe first. The guy I shared the canoe with dumped it when he got out. I called him a bad name just before my head went under.

Thanks for the RR.

SteveP

Now this is a tri I would be able to do and not die.  (I'm not afraid of water, but my swimming is not real efficient, i.e., the course would close for hours before I made it across whatever body of water was involved.)

Wonderful report.  You'll have to do it next year--now you know the course, an AG is within reach.

Congrats!

A

Masters 2000 miles

Great job in this tri, craneium.  I haven't heard of a tri with a kayak leg but it sounds neat.  You did well, beating your goal with a healthy margin.  Congratulations.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow, count me as another who didn't know they had tris with canoes or kayaks - that would be good for a poor swimmer like me.  Except the reason there's no swimming is probably because it's so cold.  Okay, maybe not. 

Bigtime Kudos to you for stepping out into the brave new world of tris  - great job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I enjoyed this, Craneium, especially since I'm working towards my first duathlon in June. It sounds like you had a lot of fun, and a triathlon with kayaking instead of swimming definitely sounds appealing. to those of us with limited swimming ability.

I assume that the reason you switched to a cycle jersey was temperature related? I had assumed it will be warm enough in June that I can simply wear a singlet or similar top the entire time, just as I'll wear triathlon shorts (with the minimalist cycling pad). That way, all I have to change will be my shoes.

Anyway, I liked reading your RR from the standpoint that it was mostly new to you, which gives me a little bit of hope that I haven't taken on a bit too much myself!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"