Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 9.17.17 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Saturday's workouts & races:

Marj (short mizzle-free bike ride)

Henrun (short bike ride [with Marj] + short RW/run in humid fog)

RunnerKSA (13 early morning miles with the running group)

Stumpy (2.2 miles with ambition and hillage at the lake)

Spacityrunner (7 miles at 7 with friends, before breakfast)

Twocat (20 miles in a frog's favorite weather)

Mariposai (3 loops around Green Lake [Seattle]).

Holly (3.45 miles + 20 min. of weights/core)

Evanflein (Equinox Marathon #13 in 4:19:08 with a nasty ankle roll)

Mike (10.9 miles on the XC meet course)

Tet (all day hike up Mt. Si)

Sounds like a well-spent day, Marj & Henrun.

I'm glad you found your ambition to run some of the hill, Stumpy.

KSA - gotta love any church (or other institution) that keeps "doors open for athletes!"

I hope your quads are screaming less today, Enke. Sounds like a great hike with MBE.

Great job of hosting a post-run breakfast, Spacityrunner.

Twocat, the RTB runners doing the last few legs in the early/mid afternoon yesterday were struggling - temps in the mid70s, sunny, and very muggy. We also call ibuprophen 'vitamin I,' but we still take it very, very rarely. Like Enke, we prefer to tough it out in most cases. Congrats on your 20-miler in that frog-happy weather.

I'm glad you are enjoying your time with Daniel and Alexa, Mariposai.

I know what you mean, Holly - gardening is a lot of work.

Congrats on a great job at Equinox, Evanflein - even with that ankle roll! It must feel good to have #13 in the books.

Good job with your daughter's birthday party, Cat.

Terrific PR story, Mike.

Sounds like you had a challenging hike too, Tet. Maybe you should compare notes with Enke?

Thanks for all the anniversary wishes yesterday. DW and I had a great day together and, as she likes to tell people, I've signed on for another year.

13.2 RW miles this morning in very, very dense fog. At times, all I could see in the light of my headlamp was the fog and the road immediately in front of me. But as we got closer to daylight, the fog thinned a bit, and it was easier to see (and to be seen). I was pretty unhappy with my pacing after about 6-7 miles, so I picked it up from there, and was more respectable for the rest of the way home. We're leaving in about an hour and a half to cruise to the Isle of Shoals, and I hope the fog will be gone from there too, by the time we get there.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Have a good cruise, Jay.

4 miles while I was in sports-mom freak out mode.  Son is racing Ironman 70.3 Atlantic City.  It's a rolling start, so it's hard to tell how you place until it's over, but right now he looks to be winning his age group.  He's 5 miles into the run.  I was still asleep when the tracker beeped on my phone to tell me he was out of the swim!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

A belated happy anniversary, Jay.

Yay, Erika!  13 of any race seems like a lot!

Mike--I get a kick out of you clearly enjoying the kids' running so much.

Marj--I forgot to respond to your note about century rides being easier than marathons.  I suppose it's all in how you ride them.  I just know that, for me, hitting 60 miles or so (more or less non-stop) starts feeling like a 15-18 mile run in terms of how tired I feel (though not as "beat up" as a long run).

Well, TriBee's on the DL.  She went out for a solo ride Friday and after just a few miles, the wheel fell off....literally.  Her back wheel came off and she hit the pavement hard with her right hand.  (Her bike has this weird frame where the notch to mount the rear wheel is horizontal, rather than vertical; don't know why.) X-ray at the ER didn't show a fracture but it was muddy in spots so she has to go back to the doc tomorrow for follow-up and maybe an MRI.  Meanwhile, it's in a splint. She was lucky it wasn't worse but, understandably, she's not a happy camper. This will make a funny story someday, just not today.

Which is all to say that my ride today was a solo one.  55 miles on an easy course, basically 3 loops of one of my long run courses.  Foggy to start; humid throughout.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

That's a neat trip out to Isle of Shoals.  DW and I have done it to look at the gardens on Appledore.  They (and the rest of the island) were inspiration for a 1800's painter.  Hassam or something like that--painters not being one of my many strong suits.   Also did a project there to replace their generators and got to go out a couple of times on the scientific station boat.

Tough decision once again--running or fishing?  DW's logic was--you can run at home, can you go fishing?  Since she's smarter than me, I went fishing.  Educated a few little perch, but had fun drifting about the lake drinking morning coffee.   This afternoon we start the fun job of shutting down for the season.  Also have to consider the possibility of Jose causing mischief at some point this week.

Hope all you decisions are as straight forward as mine  and have a great rest of your Sunday.

ETA sincee Tramps got in whilst I was typing, condolences to Tribee.  That is an interesting design feature.  Does it actually serve a purpose or is it another weird thing that cyclists like just because it's different?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

My son WON overall in Atlantic City Ironman 70.3.  He was behind a few minutes after the swim, biked the same time as the other guy and then ran him down.    Sub 4:15 for the race. Slowed down in the run, but had a 1:26 half marathon.   I'm really proud of him.  No pros there so he got to break the tape.  

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

My son WON overall in Atlantic City Ironman 70.3.  He was behind a few minutes after the swim, biked the same time as the other guy and then ran him down.    Sub 4:15 for the race. Slowed down in the run, but had a 1:26 half marathon.   I'm really proud of him.  No pros there so he got to break the tape.  

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tet - I hate reading the hiking reports on the WTA because most say something like "we were at the summit in 2 hours, 15 minutes", and here it takes me about 4 hours up and 4 hours down.  I have to go slow on the descent - can't bust my knees up and don't have the joints and tendons of a 22 year old.  I seem to average 1 hour per 1000 feet, so easy to do the math.

Congratulations Erika on another speedy Equinox!

Tramps - I find it really hard to compare biking effort to running effort.  So much of biking is coasting down a hill.  So much of biking is stopping for coffee or waiting at lights.  So is 50 miles like a 16 mile run or an 10 mile run?  I dunno.

One awesome thing about my hike on Friday is my knees felt great!  Usually there are twinges from one or both, but I felt nothing!  I guess taking all that time off running has been beneficial to my knees, if not my waistline, cardio fitness and cholesterol numbers.

I have major DOMS today!

This week, while I have had 4 days off before starting the new (old) job, I decided to overhaul the family room.  It has wood paneling circa the 1960s and I have always hated it.  Also the carpet was disgusting (2 kids and a dog and over 17 years...).  I moved all the furniture out, ripped out the carpeting and am almost finished painting.  Painting over wood paneling is a bit more work.  I had to lightly sand the walls first, and of course do a primer.  Then the groves needed their own attention. Once I get new carpet in, I will try to put less furniture back in.  It's been one of those jobs where a few times I almost wished I hadn't started it, as it's just so much work.  Should look great when done though, or so I hope.

And last weekend, we finally fixed my hot water heater!  If you recall it went kaput LAST fall, and although we replaced the heating elements and the thermostat, it still would click off after a day or so.  I got used to just boiling some water to wash pots and pans and the kids and I just showered in the master bathroom.  So, we didn't really miss it.  For those with an interest in electrical things - we, (meaning Mr. Blue Eyes) took another look at the heater and noticed the ground wire was a bit loose from the pipe it was attached to.  He clamped it tight and voila, problem solved!  So it must have just been loose enough to keep tripping the GFI on the thermostat.  Such an easy fix......(so the new heating elements and thermostat were likely unnecessary, but at least I didn't end up paying for a whole new tank and installation).

Now to figure out why my living room overhead lights aren't working......it's always one thing or another!

Also have to spray some yellow jackets that have started a nest near the roof.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy masters!  I tried to post yesterday from my phone, but the post disappeared, and it took so long to type that I didn't want to do it again.  So today I'm borrowing DH's laptop.  We're in NJ for a short visit with his parents.  They live in a retirement community, and the grounds used to be an arboretum, so there's a lovely dirt trail through the woods where I run.  5.5 miles yesterday - warm and humid.   I always have the trails to myself when I'm here - I guess the residents are too old and frail - but I'm retired and 60 years old, so if I can do it, surely some of them could too?

Liz, I want to come run with you and your trail group, and have breakfast at your house!

Erika, congrats on another Equinox - that sounds like a fast time for such a hilly course!  I really want to come run that with you one of these years.

RunnerKSA, congrats to your DS on the win!  Very cool.  And I saw someone on FB posted about your DD's book - I have a DD named Kira too! (She's currently at my house watching my dogs while we're away.)

Enke, good luck with finishing the remodel, and good luck at the new old job! There are never any shortages of things to fix around the house, I guess.  I'm lucky my DH can fix almost anything, and I can muddle through pretty well too.

Jay, happy belated anniversary to you and your Carolyn!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

^^  That's cool that we both have Kiras!   Yes, her book is out and I hope will inspire some dialogue and thought.  It won't win her a lot of friends in the upper echelons of her diocese, though.

evanflein

Yes, her book is out and I hope will inspire some dialogue and thought.  It won't win her a lot of friends in the upper echelons of her diocese, though.

And that ^^ is part of what makes it so cool! Good for her. And big congrats to your son, that's awesome!

Have fun, Jay! I've never even heard of the Isle of Shoals but it sounds nice. You've been signing on for a lot of years, so must be doing something right! Love the wedding pics she posted on FB.

Stumpy, I hadn't even thought about Jose... this has been quite the season for storms. And yeah, your DW was right, you can run anywhere but where can you fish?

Ouch for Tribee's hand! I'm trying to picture that wheel mount business... might have to go look at my bike to really get it. But it shouldn't come off when in action, did something break or come loose? I hope her hand is fine and just needs some time to recover.

Enke, I'd be really frustrated to find out something that had been malfunctioning for so long was due to a really simple thing that's so easy to fix. And hey, why don't you just pull that paneling down rather than painting over it? I had knotty pine paneling in my bedroom when I was a kid and loved it, but I don't think I'd want it now. Smile  Nice job on redoing that room, you're very ambitious. And YAY on the happy knees!

Carolyn, "retired and 60" means a lot of different things to different folks. I'm amazed to see how run down and frail some mid-50's folks are. I don't understand why people don't take better care of themselves. Nice to get out for a run on the trails, and yes I'd love to have you come up and run the Equinox! (you too, Mariposai!!)

Tetsujin!! Do you go alone on these hikes? Or at least tell someone where you're going? Be careful!

Another beautiful day here. Will do some more in the garden and general cleanup out there, and maybe a short run later. Feel pretty good today, just a little sore. Left foot is a bit sore on the outside so I think some ligaments got pulled a bit when I rolled it. But no swelling or anything so I'm thinking it'll be fine.

Tramps

I'm trying to picture that wheel mount business... might have to go look at my bike to really get it. But it shouldn't come off when in action, did something break or come loose?

Yeah, it's weird; see that little horizontal notch for the rear wheel (compared to the vertical one for the front)?  Somehow, that wheel got loose and BAM!

Yay for KSA's son!

Enke--LOL!  You ride differently than I do. No lights, very little coasting, and no coffee stops here!  That DIY project sounds like a big one. It'll be worth it when you're done.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Jay - that sounds like an awesome cruise.

RunnerKSA - you have some amazing and talented kids.

Enke - I am impressed at your energy.  Seems like I mostly just look at stuff and say, "Boy, we really need to do something about that."

DH and the two of our friends decided they would help each other out with their decks, so today the three of them are working on Dan's deck.  In exchange, Dan cooked lunch (he is an excellent cook) and the wives came over for the meal.  Next year DH and I plan on rebuilding our deck, and I hope the guys can come and help, at least for part of it.

I may, just may, get a year-end bonus from work.  I had hoped to dedicate those funds to getting new carpet downstairs (like Enke, 2 kids and pets and many years have rendered that carpet just nasty), but after talking with DH I am realizing that bonus, if I get it, will likely be used to pay off the car loan on my Hyundai Elantra so we can do some car-rotating to give DD the oldest vehicle to drive when she gets her license next summer.  Currently DS drives a 1998 Ford Explorer, which will go to DD, my Hyundai will go to DS (which will save him a lot of gas since he commutes 1/2 hour to school) and we will look for a low-mileage used car for me.  DH will continue to drive the 2002 Mountaineer until it drops dead.  DD will hate this, as she somehow had grand illusions of getting my Hyundai, but if she wants a car, that will be it.

15 miles for me today in 60-74 degrees as the sun came up.  My legs felt pretty dead.  I don't know why this isn't getting easier....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

catwhoorg

Labrat

18 and change with 2x20 min tempo efforts

Lost a much more reasonable 4 pounds during this run as compared to the last time I did this.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

10-hours of Driving and Shopping with Pickles yesterday

...not sure

what the Temperature of Hell is,

but

I know for a Fact it's paved with Concrete.........

=============

30-min RC with 2-lb trailboots,

will either make it Better or Worse

...........Good Running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Trust me-   I've paid my dues with these kids, especially this one.