Masters Running

Friday, 12.30.16 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Our New Year's guests finally rolled in at about 11:40 last night - a few hours late because road conditions in New England were somewhat less than great, and there were fender-benders that slowed things down even more. Fortunately, our company arrived safely and without damage. We didn't get much snow last evening, but I still shoveled a bit when we knew they were getting close, just to make the footing a bit easier for them. I got to bed lots later than usual, but still was up at 5:15 this morning. So I read for a while, and then headed out for a walk after the sun came up. We had gotten about 3-4" of snow. The plows had cleared the roads pretty well, but there was still slush and ice along the sides, so it was somewhat slow-going. So only 2.5 easy miles this morning, and then a shoveling and snow-blower session to clear out driveway and walks so the sun can do it's good work on what is left on the hard surfaces. Now we're waiting for our guests to finish getting ready so we can head to our favorite dive for breakfast because I'm hungry!

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning Jay, and all to follow.

I usually work remotely on Fridays, but came in to the office to file the last 3 of my VA claims.  However, I plan on leaving at lunchtime.   As it turns out, our firm did make the 2016 goals.  I hope that means I get a bonus.  

3 miles for me today on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Wow!  Jay slept in!

I hope your lunchtime comes early, Holly.

Dave59

I ran 8 this morning.  Over 8 minutes faster than a similar run 3 weeks ago.  I've progressed from super duper slow, to just super slow.

I used Christmas money from my in-laws for new running shoes. $160 Saucony Freedom ISO's.  Most I ever spent on shoes but it wasn't real money so I didn't care.  I tried on various shoes without asking the price and picked the ones that I liked the most.  I wore them today and they felt great.

I'd say more, but I've been on vacation all week and I am having a hard time doing any typing on the computer.  My brain rebels every time I try.

Fly by post,

Ran 3 miles.  Watched last year's Star Wars movie last night, and tonight going to see the new one.  Went cross-country skiing this week with MBE for two days near Posie's place, but she was too sick to join us.  We did 9.2 miles the first day, and just over 10 the second, and went skating the first night, so my legs are just a little tired.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

pfriese

Windy, windy, windy here; however with the temperature in the upper 50's, I have no complaints. 6 miles for me today also. That puts me past my goal for the year of 2016 miles.

Paul

evanflein

We got so much snow last night! Holy cow, easily 12-14" out there. I shoveled our stairs and entry to the lower apartment, and in front of the garage doors and DH spent almost 4 hours out there, snowblowing and shoveling. I came in to run on the treadmill, and got barely .3 mile when the power went out. Rats. So... a grader was in the neighborhood and had just gone by so I decided to check out the local (hilly) roads. Not bad, actually, considering all the snow we got. It was warm (28F) and very windy (hence the outages). Got a little nervous when a wind gust would blow through the trees near powerlines... yikes. But it was all fine and power was on when I got home. 5.5 hilly miles, gets me to 180 for the month (highest since June).

That's too bad about the power outage, Erika. After last weekend's ice storm there are 2000 people in South Dakota still without electricity. 5,000 customers were restored since Wednesday. I imagine that these folks are out in the boonies and likely have generators, but even so that doesn't run your whole house.

Nice shoes, Dave but I can't shop without looking at prices. I am a bargain hunter.

I just popped in to say hi, and am so glad that Holly's firm made their goal! You deserve a bonus!

Enke, I checked out the Star Wars DVD from the library, 4,5,6 so we will watch those sometime over the weekend. We are going out to a prime rib & crab leg buffet tomorrow. I priced crab legs at Costco for a possible Christmas meal but they were $22 a pound! Yeah, a bargain hunter...

I didn't run today but thought it would be great if I could get MrStarr out of the house for some exercise. He eventually agreed to go for a walk, yeah! I took him on my half hour loop but at his pace it was 38 minutes. The roads were pretty clear but the patchy ice on the trail was not fun. His doctor appointment went well last week and he will get in to see a psychiatrist on Feb 1st (the same one I see once a year for medication management).  I will probably go with him to the first appointment. We are pursuing the Genesight testing but need the doctors orders first. Oh, I checked out The Big Bang Theory Season 1, that always makes us laugh and we both need to do more of that.

gotta go, good night.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich