Masters Running

Friday the 13th runs--be careful out there! (Read 646 times)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Treadmill runs at the rec center on Wed. and Thurs. Just a walk today.

I'll be offline until the power is restored to my neighborhood. Many big trees down, yellow caution tape up, power lines down and the river was all the way into the parking lot at the beach. This is the highest I've seen it and that includes Hurricanes Floyd and Isabel.

I'm at work now, so I better get to working. Tomorrow we run Richmond (half), hopefully the course will be above water.
    sorry no time to read and respond to all y'all's adventures. Hope you are all well.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, that's tough about your friends.   Is Scott the one that runs?

Yes, he's the one I kept company for his first marathon (Flying Pig), and we also did the Flying Pig HM this year with another friend.  Alas, he now has developed back problems (degenerative discs) that will probably prevent him from running in the future. 

Glad your run turned out happy and colorful! 

Erika – I had always thought those pads looked very uncomfortable to run on. 

RCG/Buehrle - good luck!

Perch - spaghetti with chicken livers?  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I'm not superstitious so I went to the track in my bubble so I could run where there's no cars, trucks,critters or people

Actually I wanted to do some 800 intervals & Friday the 13th didn't even cross my mind. 

Nono keep your head up & above the water. 

Twocat great avatar & wonderful attitude

Looks like a wonderful weekend here in NE Ohio, I'll be happy to share some with Richmond   

Christmas lights already!  People may good reasons.  For instance while taking a evening walk earlier this week we saw some old friends admiring their Christmas lights so we stopped and talked.  We discovered that their daughter, a career Air Force member& DS 1st gf,  is coming home next week, from Texas,  for 3 days  before she goes to Iraq again. So they doing their Christmas then & we got invited.   

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

I don't think I ever posted yesterday, so I will post both runs today.

5 miles, tempo yesterday, 8:58/mi

3 miles GA today, 9:35/mi

My mileage has been low since Newport (babying my knee), but my pace is much improved.  Hopefully that will bode well for the Turkey Trot later this month.

Glad your day turned colorful, dg.

GL to Richmond runners tomorrow!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

RCG/Buehrle - good luck!

Perch - spaghetti with chicken livers?  

Yes good luck to the lot of you.  (Who else is racing?  Dang, should check Ilene's thread first).

Holly, has there been any talk about who gets the friends?  (Probably too early to make jokes about it, sorry.  Is this one of those things which sounds good in my head, but when it comes out of my mouth, OH NO! ? ).

But this is just a "drive by posting" because I'm busy as usual at work.

Kinda windy this morning, but we didn't get the rain which was expected.  It was 48° but didn't feel nearly that warm.

5.1 miles, 46:56, 9:16/mi, AHR 136 (69% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Slo

good morning!

Tramps I'm glad you're getting a break, after a while it gets pretty hard to face another wet one.   And so glad it'll be good for the Richmond runners!! 

Hi Laurie!  Smile

Mary, good luck & have fun.   don't forget pictures.   When are you & your RP wanting to do another marathon? 

Bill yes that is strange enough.   Nice running in nice weather!   Legs ok?   sorry to be such a pest.

Morning Jeanne.   bet you're still glowing from your babysitting job.   :-)

Slo, I dont know what it is about your posts.   I sat her a moment wondering what .45 of a lady was.     It even distracted me from your mojo improvement. ;-)

Tina, glad you had such a nice run.  Smile

Nono that totally stinks.  Don't they know you're () 1 week & 1 day away from your first marathon???   I hope it eases up so you two can get outside.   hip hugs. 

Twocat, always look on the bright side of life.  Music notes icon  (;-) )

Holly, that's tough about your friends.   Is Scott the one that runs?

Eliz, that's a relief.  You didn't need the flu again.

I had a strange morning, at least for me.   I DID NOT want to run.   repeat, DID NOT.  That is usually not my problem!  I've been tired, & cold, & achy.  But still!  I start my next marathon training Monday (well, rest day #1), and that might have been part of it, last chance to chill & wanted to organize things.   I ran in our neighborhood to save a little bit of time, it was foggy & cold & there was a lot of traffic, & barking dogs that I wasn't sure were secured.   Kept hoping I'd feel better but nope.  I made 4 miles (10:19, 9:54, 9:59, 9:48) then picked up Sadie for her walk/run.  Such a happy girl she is.   The sun came out.  we walked a little, then I sandwiched another mile more or less in the middle.  She still has leg issues & can't do too muich at one time, After about .7 we had to walk again.  So by this time I'm chomping at the bit & wanted to run & run.    Poor dog!  I kept saying, ok honey, want to do a little more??        This is like one of those commercials where it starts out in black & white witth dismal music & dour tones, & then suddenly color & happy sounds because the person tried some new product.   probably a drug. Wink.    Wouldn't have let myself whine so much if it didn't turn out happy.   Figured maybe somebody could use it in the same circumstances.  Just make sure you have a dog to fetch, & arrange for sun & fall colors. 

short version, 5.05 miles, av. pace 10:13, max 8;31.

btw... Twocat & Slo I thought about both of you when I was in my yucky part, knew I should be happy to be out there.

sorry so long.

happy Friday!

dg....Thanks for the laugh.....The lifeguard refers to us by our lane times.....I'm one of the 5:15 guys . I've never met the 6:30 gray hairs.....from what I've heard I don't want to.....grumpy bunch from the sounds of it.

And what an awesome run......I've been there. I've never regreted starting a run that I didn't want to in the first place.

wildchild

Carolyn

I hope those of you suffering through hurricane remnants get some sunshine soon! (Tramps, Eliz, Nono, Rosie...)

Laurie, can't wait to hear your sucky poetry! Glad to see you posting again after a long layoff.

Mary, have fun at the craft show, and good luck!

Slo, glad those 5:45 ladies helped your mojo!  I hope you helped theirs too! 

Twocat, love the new avatar!  And I guess being on the DL might be OK when the weather is really carpy!

Holly, step away from the Christmas decorations.  It's too early, unplugged or not. Says me.

Sorry about your friends' divorce and Scott's back surgery. Tough time for them. Do they have kids?

Deb, Happy dogs do make sucky runs less sucky sometimes.  But sometimes bad dogs make runs sucky, too - just ask Bayside.   

I've  thought about Twocat and SloHand on bad runs, too, and it always makes me grateful to be running.

Winter storm heading our way tomorrow, but right now the sun is shining and it's in the upper 40s so I'm looking forward to a RAL.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Slo,

I have always wanted to do a Tri but I have no place to swim. The Y is expensive and not real close but I guess one of these winters I will have to Take The Plunge ,so to speak.

Tim,

Any attention is good attention. Apparently everyone in your complex is paying attention so just keep doing what your doing and pay them no attention.

A scheduled day off but the weather is really calling me to RAW but my wife just called and we are invited to "Sun Downers" in the hot tub at our friends after work so I guess I picked the right day for a day off.

Cross training tomorrow so hopefully some biking if the weather stays like it has been.

Good runs to everyone

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

evanflein

Holly, I'm with you on Perch's carboloading choice. Bleh. And those pads are a God-send when you need them, but I'm wondering if I just don't need it anymore, or need something different now. Whatever, I'll be experimenting in the next few weeks to find my Goldilocks set up.

Christmas decorations? I don't think I could even find them before Thanksgiving. We're the family that puts up their tree the week or so before Christmas, barely gets it down before Groundhog's Day. Hey, we provide that balance in the universe, right?

GL to our Richmond crew this weekend, sure hope the weather holds (or improves? seems I don't know what it's doing now...).

Nono, what is your marathon? I can't believe it's coming up so soon! Sure hope the hip improves for you. GL on getting out before Renee starts climbing the walls.

Deb, I've rarely regretted finally getting out there for a run. I mean, sometimes a run just sucks, but usually even a sucky run is better than no run (note: usually). Nice to hear your day got brighter and better as you went on. What's wrong with Sadie's leg?

Lou, yeah, that one probably sounded better inside your head...

Another day on the elliptical at lunch in store for me. Sure get to hate that thing. But I know I'll be running again soon. I guess I'll have to go back to yesterday to learn about Twocat? I love the avatar, but have a feeling there's a not-so-good story behind it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly,  Tough time for them. Do they have kids?

Sadly, yes, ages 12 and 10.    (sigh)  Just a sad situation all around.  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Yes, very sad. If there's anyway they'd consider counseling to help face their issues and move on, I think that could help. I've heard that many couples come out of the process stronger than before. But then, a lot depends on why she was having the affair in the first place, I guess. Hmmm, I'm certainly not a good one for giving marital advice!

Jlynne, I knew who you meant yesterday. We're just so Palin-weary it's not funny. We'd hoped when she resigned we'd be done hearing about her all the time, but it's almost gotten worse. That Levi is a publicity hound and loving his new status. You'd have to know more about Wasilla in general, and his family in particular to really understand, but this is the best most exciting thing that's happened in his (or his family) in generations, and they're going to ride it to the end... and then some. Pathetic, really.

dg.

Larry, good timing!

Carolyn I've had that version too.   happy & bad , not mutually exclusive.  ;-).    Enjoy your RAL.  One of these days I've got to try that.   Keep the ponytail, something dry to put on, it should work. 

Thanks Holly,  PDR, Slo...      

Smile.    

Holly, wasn't it his knee that was bad before?   Poor guy.  All around. 

Hi Rose!   I hope you get power soon.   Not the best timing, just before your half, huh.   Good luck tomorrow.   I think you should be able to count the one you already did.

Perch, I'm with Holly & Erika.   But if it makes you happy it makes us happy.    I hope all your parts are in working order.  good luck tomorrow.  oh, I should just do this...

11/14 perchcreek - Richmond Marathon, VA

11/14 Tammy - Pioneer Run 5k, Phoenix, OR

11/14 fussyrunner - Huntsville 1/2 marathon, Huntsville AL

11/14 Barbara Rose - Richmond 1/2 Marathon

good luck !

Erika, I'm not sure about her leg,  it started a while ago, I thought it was arthritis & gave her some things that seemed to help.  But it seems a little worse again.  I'm taking her in soon for dental work & will have them check it then. 

It's good to have your & Slo's sucky run input.    Usually is good enough odds. 

hmm.  now my turn to have missed something.   Goldilocks? 

Renee the dog

Nono, what is your marathon? I can't believe it's coming up so soon! Sure hope the hip improves for you. GL on getting out before Renee starts climbing the walls.

Still windy and raining....but it isn't as noisy, so I guess the wind is prevailing more from the N & W now. 

My 26.2 mile training run is next Sat. 11/21.  It's the second year of the Rehoboth Beach Marathon in DE down near us.  Just a ferry ride away.  But with a 7 am start, we have to go over the night before. So, we're making a weekend out of it.  Friends are coming in from PA and from AL so it should be a good time. 

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

wildchild

Carolyn

Back from a fun 5.3 mile trail run at lunchtime, 10:26 avg pace.  50° and sunny at the start but cloudy and a few raindrops by the end (but with a nice rainbow!)  At mile 1 I suddenly needed a bathroom, and as I rounded a bend in the trail, there was a bathroom up ahead where the trail crosses a road, where there has never been a bathroom before!  But it was surrounded by workmen with a backhoe - just getting installed. It'll be very handy for future runs, but today I had to head for the woods.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

THis is a month when I do hearings across town at the mental hospital, so I'm woefully behind, just catching up with everything. 

nono--I did get out for 5 miles at lunch, and wore my Ocean Beach Marathon shirt as I have been hearing about all the rain and am thinking of you, especially (and all you east coasters).

twocat, you are too funny.  I like the avatar, but hate that you were motivated to find it, meaning, wish you were 100%..

Best of luck, Richmond marathoners.  I'd like to do that one again.  Have fun!

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles