Masters Running

Monday, May 3rd Runs and fun (Read 570 times)

Mariposai

Oh, man, Trent, I just saw your photos in the "Off the  beaten path" forum, and I'm so sorry about your poor house!  Anything we can do to help? 

You have cured me from feeling sorry about the winter weather at my house.  Snow is no big deal (well, it can be, but we only got 3" yesterday so I have nothing to complain about.)  Good luck to you and your family and your neighbors.

Please tell us here what happened to Trent! I would to look for that forum  you mentioned, but not enough time today to do it.

Karin, I am still beaming with pride and gladness for you. What an emotional event that must have been to be able to cut the ribbon. I can't waif for THAT race report.

6 easy this morning. All easy runs for me this week. Just the way I like it.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent - what happened?

Nashville received 13 inches of rain in under 48 hours.  This doubles the last record two day rainfall.  Every creek and river in town is now several feet above the highest recorded level in history.  Much of town is under water, including probably thousands of homes.  Part of town was under curfew last night.  The Southeast's largest hotel (Opry) was evacuated.  And our home is full of several feet of mud, trees, water, sticks and muck, with several other huge tries down on and around the house.  We are all safe and out of town, but totally helpless to do anything.  We fly back later today.  The contractor came by and said the house may be ruined and that we should not stay there, and the insurance agent suggested that this may not be covered.

Some pics:

But at least I got in my run this morning. Sheesh.

Maniac 505

Trent:

That is horrible.  good luck with the insurance,  I really hope you can salvage the important stuff.

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh Trent - How heartbreaking, although I agree that the blessing is that you and your family are safe.  I pray that insurance will cover this for you.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

Hi everyone.

I'm sorry to be so behind again...  I can see there's a lot to catch up with!

Jeanne I'm so glad you signed up.  I'm sorry I only answered part of your message.   I don't think you have any thing to be afraid of at all!!   I'd never even done one half before I did mine.  And though I was excruciatingly slow, I wasn't thrown off the course.   I still view this next one as kind of a first.  I am thinking about using Brad Hudson's marathon plan for masters.   You might like his book (Run Faster from the 6K to the Marthon) Nono likes it too.  You're strong & you're fast... only  thing I think you need to be careful of is to be patient and pay really close attention as you increase so that you don't get injured.    (oh geez look who's talking )

Trent...  I'll join in here.   What happened??

mta.... oh, no!  I'm so sorry.   but am so glad you're all ok.

I still haven't felt very good, and so based on how long it's been & some advice from some of you I reluctantly went to the ER on Saturday.   Too long to tell about, not fun but not anything like what I think Trent is facing.  only 1 short whine... was there from 8:30 until almost 4.   No definitive answers because of limited testing, but one doctor who is a runner, very nice & smart of course, & runs in Vibram 5 fingers Smile  had some ideas which make sense & fit the symptoms.   There is a chance they'll have to go back in there.   sigh.    oh well.    It sure is nice out!

This morning I went for a walk & then was surprised (who did that??) by a short run (.65 miles) in the middle of it. 

have to go look at Karin's link. 

and work.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Wow Trent. I know this is unbelievable but remember it's just stuff as long as your family is safe. I'm sure you'll be doing alot of head clearing running. So sorry!  Maybe there will be federal relief.

Kid Hurdling Joey.. thanks for that wonderful opening!

2 mile brisk walk with the dogs in 27:05 (13:32 pace, a new walking PR!)

Then 4 mile run in 33:46 (8:26 pace). That was really warm with dew point 69° (in early May?)

{{{Trent and Family}}}

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

King of PhotoShop

Trent, I am so sorry.  What a difficult situation. Hang in there.

CNY, no wonder you had such a good race on that fast, flat course.  Good thing there were no hills.

3.4 and a flex workout afterwards, just tired recovery stuff.  Spareribs

OMG, Trent.  I'm so sorry about this.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

So sorry to hear about this, Trent.

Wish there was something I could do to help.

Ran a hard workout on the treadmill.  Lots of speed and I will probably pay for it tomorrow.  But it was fun today.

Trent, I really hope you can salvage the home and get some insurance money for it.

Jlynne - of course you can do it, don't be nervous!  You are a great runner.   Just build slowly, as dg says, and watch out for aches and pains.  Aches fine, pains not.

CNY- nice sweaty race.  I don't know how you can do heat like that and pull off such an awesome time.  More wind cooling the faster you run???  That must be the trick.

Supposed to be thunderstorms and windy here but it is already sunny and not so windy so I might have to force myself out later.

Congrats to Tet, Dave and Francesca for what I am sur were fine Tacoma races.

Erika, I thought I was the only one with bathroom emergencies.  That is why I was so happy to find another public bathroom not far off my usual route the other day!

Joey!  too funny.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Maniac 505

Jlynne:

I would second the Higdon intermediate schedule (either of them) 

Hal Higdon marathon schedules

IMHO the novice schedule will get you to the finish line, but it will really leave you unprepared.  either of the Intermediate plans will get you to the finish line, and it might even be a fun day

Dave

TammyinGP

unbelievable Trent. Fortunately, you are all safe and hopefully none of the irreplaceable things were destroyed. I'm thinking like family heirlooms, photos, etc. I would be devastated if I lost those items - everything else can be replaced. And hopefully insurance will work with you and not make this tough situation even tougher for you guys.

Vista - that's a great story. You are much braver than I. I would have been afraid that I'd be sued for bodily injury caused to one of those children as I ungracefully tried to hurdle them. In my mind I might look like an olympic hurdler, but in reality - not so much  .

Congrats Jlynne on making the marathon commitment! You've picked a great one to be your first as there will be a nice gathering of Masters there. I used the Higdon Novice I for my first marathon plan. It had me running one 20 miler with a peak week of 40 miles. It was do-able for me and didn't stress me out like some of the higher mileage plans did. It was certainly enough to get me to complete my first marathon and it's a good one to follow. Just remember, a plan is just that . . . "a plan" . . . you may have to tweak things here and there to accomodate YOUR schedule - some weeks you might run a little less and other weeks you might be able to run a little more and it's all okay! it's a guideline so use it as that.

This is peak week for me. This Saturday I'm running a 22 miler, so need to get in around 20-23 miles during the week also.

Have a good day everyone!

Tammy

evanflein

Trent, words just can't express the shock of seeing that mess. So sorry for the headaches and heartaches you have ahead of you. Hopefully some sort of federal disaster assistance can come out of it to help.

Jlynne, I'll join Tammy on recommending the Novice plan. I use an adaptation of the intermediate plans now, and for what you want to accomplish (finish happy and healthy) those might be a little much. I used the Novice plan for my first marathon (back then there was only one, so not sure which is close to it now) and it did have just one 20 miler, but it also had an 18 and a 19 miler so you'll be well prepared. And you can always bump one of those up to 20 if you want. They are "plans" and you can modify somewhat to suit your needs. I added hills to mine because of the race I was doing, and I came out more than just ok. Absolutely loved it and had a great time.

Fun stuff, Joey. That's something I'd probably think of but wouldn't pull off. I bet you gave those kids something to talk about all week!

Great video clip, Karin! That's an amazing feat to win a marathon in that heat after PR'ing so strong at Boston less than 2 weeks before. Iron-K we'll call you.

Dg, well that sucks if they have to go back in. Hope not, but if it'll fix you up, then... Have you talked to your surgeon about it yet? Take care and don't put it off.

Mary, they seem to be happening more often and it's very annoying. Not during races, thank God, but sure makes for some frantic times out on the roads.

I cleaned my bathroom this weekend, including scrubbing the walls and ceilings. What is that stuff up there? Now today my neck/shoulder hurts like a "kink" or something. I can't think of what else would've caused it, must've been all the reaching and such. Ow. Today was going to be a gym day, either at lunch or after work, and I hope this doesn't mess that up.

Tramps

I was just popping over to lurk while I had a cup of coffee but I've got to pass along my sympathies to Trent; that's really terrible.  I'm glad you and your family are safe.  What can you do?  One day at a time, as the cliche goes. 

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

Trent, those pictures speak a thousand words. I am so sorry to see this. Butterfly hugs to you and your neighbors as you deal with this tragedy. I am glad that and your family are safe.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard