Masters Running

Monday, 8.29.16 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Nice run all the way up the hill, Stumpy.

So sorry about your ongoing knee issues, Holly. I think we've asked this before, but have you tried different running shoes to see if that could be part of the problem? Good luck finding a pool you can use, and getting to the root of Max's stomach problems.

Evanflein, I'm glad your foot is finally turning the corner - just don't bump into anything on the way. When we go our free entrees, I tipped the wait staff the same as I would have if we had paid for everything because you are right, and it wasn't their fault. You should go kayaking because it can be spectacular, and is a great way to get out on the water, and can be a good upper body workout too!

You sure did have a busy day, Jlynne! Bidding something up at an auction can be tricky business. Yes, you may go home with what you brought, or with something else you didn't really want. Was $85 the final bid for your basket?

Sounds like an Idyllic day at Walden Pond, LaT, followed by a great Mystic river run.

Welcome back, Lori. Good job of getting it done on the Run Woodstock trail course.

Good cooking and 10-mi. running for a 'slug,' Aamos.

Great hike for you and GS, Tet. But I'm sorry about the 'incident,' and all the stuff you lost (including the trout). How sweet that GS's first concern was about his Papo. Great timing on getting the canoe back in the trees.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Avenger Doggie! (He doesn't look a day over 6...)

After my workout yesterday morning, I did some grocery shopping and then baked a coconut layer cake. We got a new mixer a couple 'o weeks ago (the one we had wasn't much more than a 'toy'), and this was the first time we used it. Nice. For dinner, DW made Sea Scallops with Yellow Beets, Cucumber and Lime (recipe from the NY Times) and, of course, we had cake for dessert.

Oh yeah - SRD for me today, so no workout.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Jay you made that cake? That looks awesome. I want some. Yum.

Rest day today. Today starts taper. Let the Carbo loading begin.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

...just a look-see.....

glad to hear holly's looking a PoolRunning

and

sorry to hear tet took a Header with his Feet

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

whoa, tet, take care, please.  One of my Speedster friends took a header on his bike Saturday and got into the ICU with a closed head injury.  He landed on his helmet.

DH broke down and made a PT apt for his various owies.  He added to them by taking a little spill Saturday on his bike.  We'll see what exercises he gets to do (and if he does them...)

Happy Birthday Week, Tag!  Keep the fun rolling along!!

O Holly, you of all folks do NOT deserve this.  It is so crabby-making when one can't run.

Did someone say carbo loading???  <see below>

I shouldn't go to bed with the radio on, as it can give you nightmares--I bet Stumpy and marj had the same one I did.

7.5 miles on a bright sparkly day.

grins,

A.........carbo load of choice:

Image result for fresh baked bread

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Didn't get into bed quick enough, Amy.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

That bread looks amazing Aamos. Slice a piece for me, with a little peanut butter please.  And I'll have a sliver of Jay's cake for dessert, because that looked pretty tasty as well

Sorry for all of the bike injuries. I can't imagine how scary it would be doing a header off the front of a bike!

Hey Holly - check out your local Y. Ours always runs a special at the beginning of October called "pay the day".  If you join on October 1, it costs $1.00 to join, $2.00 on the 2nd, and so on. There's also a one-time joiner fee that isn't real big, around $35? This would be cheaper than paying for an adult daily pass which, here, is $12.00 each time you go.

It was already 70° and 100% humid at 5:30 this morning. I was soaked by the end of the first mile, and not breathing real well. So I started alternating with a run/walk, and met these two older ladies that I see walking every morning. I slowed down to walk a block with them and we had a nice chat, then finished my run. 5 miles and some change but it wasn't pretty. I did see a doe with two fawns down near the creek on the trail. They were pretty!

Don't know if anyone else watched the HBO series "The Night Of." Last night was the series finale. As much as I really enjoyed each episode, the ending was, well, disappointing.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - That cake looks delicious!

Amy - I LOVE bread!  My version of hell would be gluten-free Vegan - no buttered toast, cream cheese with bagels, grilled cheese sandwiches - what on earth would I eat?

Jlynne - I will swing by the local YMCA and see what they offer.  DD did mention that she would be interested in going if I got a membership.

No run for me today (duh!), just about 30 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tet- wow, you sure know how to have some interesting adventures with your GS.  Please be careful with that little guy!

Holly, we all feel your frustration.  Can you describe the injury to us again?

So after that beautiful 12 mile hike Friday that wiped me out, I lazed about most of Saturday.  Then on Sunday, MBE talked me into doing a bike ride.  The longest bike ride of my life, as far as I know.

53.2 miles, the Lake Washington Loop, which I have always wanted to do, as it seems kind of epic for a non-cyclist like me.  Averaged just a tick under 12 miles per hour while moving.  Which, you know, is how fast some elite marathoners run.  Did some sprints on flat areas and I think I got up to 23 to 24 miles per hour a few times, but it's hard!

Now I am wiped out again, but might try an easy 3 later.  I am supposed to be doing long RUNS, not bike rides!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

Update, as promised:

Back from dr. office and all is good news. I have a blockage, but they don't know exactly where. Within a few days I'll go in for a catheterization. They will run a probe up through my femoral artery to my heart and locate it, then hopefully repair it with a stent. This is a one-day, non-invasive, very common procedure which should solve the problem.

Other good news is that my aortic valve, replaced 8 years ago with a tissue valve "looks like brand new" according to the cardiologist.

He also said that he has very few patients with a "strong, athletic heart" like mine and that if I were not an athlete "we would have been dealing with these issues twenty years ago."

My competitive racing days are over I think, but I am confident I will be running again soon and I look forward to continuing to enter races, primarily because that's where my friends are.

Thanks all.  I'm off to the pool with Holly!  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Other good news is that my aortic valve, replaced 8 years ago with a tissue valve "looks like brand new" according to the cardiologist.

Love this!  I am so glad to hear that the news is good.  Please keep us posted though about the heart cath. procedure.  We care about you, you know.....See you at the pool!  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Greta news, RIBS!   Have fun with Holly.....

........and Holls, when y'all are back, how's this place??

http://rahnsartisanbreads.com/      --it's at 600 E 2nd St, Dayton, OH 45402

Meetcha there next month??  (Jlynne, you come too!)

Love bread.  Paleo diet, bleh.  I am not a cave woman. 

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

evanflein

Amy - I LOVE bread!  My version of hell would be gluten-free Vegan - no buttered toast, cream cheese with bagels, grilled cheese sandwiches - what on earth would I eat?

I know! As much as I like to eat a lot of veggie inspired dishes, I am a bread loving carnivore at heart. My favorite is a good, chewy crusty bread with seeds or nuts in it. Love a local whole grain raisin walnut bread!

Lori, enjoy taper. Got a link to that race you're doing? It's a 24 hour event, right?

Good to get the upbeat report and a plan from the doc, Spareribs! Glad to hear you'll be hanging around with us cool kids for awhile still!

Jay's cake does look good. Too bad I'm the only one in my house that enjoys coconut.

So yesterday's run was actually good. It was hard, very hard at times, but good. I really can't do these long runs unsupported though, like I used to. I left my Nuun in the car and really needed it about 2/3 of the way through the run. Sunny, breezy and a beautiful day yesterday, the trail was actually in very good shape for as wet as it's been; just a few puddles and muddy spots that were easy to get around. Total of 15.7 miles and my time up the hill was under 49 minutes (goal used to be under 45 minutes, so that's not bad), although that doesn't count the stops to suck wind and take pictures. I'll try to get some posted later. Foot was mostly ok during the run and ok last night, no worse for wear today (yay!).

Tet, I took a picture of the Marcie Trent sign pointing the way to the trail after a road crossing. Unfortunately it's got a bullet hole in it. Most of the signs on the out-and-back are riddled with holes, and I see they're starting to replace them. Just gives the idiots with guns fresh targets. 

Today is a rest day (my legs are so sore!), but after work I'm walking back out on part of the course where I found some nice blueberries. It's incredible there are still so many nice ones left, but then it's much cooler up there.

Back from dr. office and all is good news. I have a blockage, but they don't know exactly where. Within a few days I'll go in for a catheterization. They will run a probe up through my femoral artery to my heart and locate it, then hopefully repair it with a stent. This is a one-day, non-invasive, very common procedure which should solve the problem.

Phew!

Late morning run in tough conditions, including a speedy running partner, but we did it. The we primed some walls for 3 hours - cross training?

Okay, Jay just whipped up a coconut layer cake - I am impressed!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

...Good News for Ribbs........

=========

40-min PoolRun, nb, cf, ris, paw

a couple

had taken one of the lanes

and was playing with their 10-month old baby

he started crying every time I went by

(of course

it just looks like A HEAD in the water, so he probably had a reason)

his daddy said he was just tired,

but

I'm getting a haircut tomorrow to be on the safe side

...............good running guys......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Lori, enjoy taper. Got a link to that race you're doing? It's a 24 hour event, right?

https://registration.verticalrunnerrm.com/events/northcoast-24-hour-endurance-run-nc24-12152015349

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**