Masters Running

Sunday, 2.5.17 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday’s excellent workouts:
    TW (40 min. PoolRun, no Greenway, and back is doing better)
    C-R (4 with the club in 11F temps, pre-birthday bash for the twins)
    Tramps (Sleepy 6 in upper 20s with a good breeze)
    Rochrunner (6 mil with 12 folks in 12F temps with sun and no wind and a bit overdressed)
    Catwhoorg (8.6 miles in the ‘hood with “glorious” sunshine)
    Holly (20.2 in 20F temps at the start and sun-warmed 30 at the finish)
    Enke (4.3 with one at 9:28 and the others at a mystery pace. It was raining, and she liked it)
    Mike (9 with wind and fun)
    Tammy (8 in about 50F temps after volunteering at a 10K/5K, and pre-nap and bowling)
    Flats (12.46 TM miles pre restaurant soft opening)
    Spacityrunner (5 fine-free miles in 43F temps under overcast skies with a sprinkle to finish)
    Twocat (14 pout-free miles with temps in the low 20s, some with club, some solo)
    Evanflein (14.1 in 0 to -5F temps with a breeze to make it even colder, and as the sun sunk to also make it colder)
    StarrRuns (errands and cooking cross-training)
    Mariposai (11 miles of x-country skiing in gorgeous country)

Tramps, thanks for all the links/resources over the past couple ‘a days - good stuff.

I’m also filling up the laundry basket a lot more quickly this time of the year, and so I’m being extra nice to DW (who insists on doing the laundry - maybe she doesn’t like the way I do it?).

Good luck today, Dave!

Glad you enjoyed the soft opening, Flats. Nice bene for the good architectural work you do!

Thanks for volunteering at the Frostbite 5 today, Holly.

Tet, good thinking about not thinking and getting your wish that if you’d gone running, it wasn’t yesterday.

The Deliberative Session yesterday went from 8:30 till about 4:00. There was some controversy but not as much as there could have been. Now DW and I have to write up and publish pros and cons for each warrant article. That’ll take a few days. For fun today, I get to replace the skids on our snowblower, as the ones there now have completely worn down. Actually, I can just flip them and use what was the top sides for a few more years

I was beat from that all-day session yesterday, so I slept in till 4:40 this morning. Then I went out for a Tour De CulDeSacs, traveling down 8 of them in 8.1 miles. Weird, I know, but it was something different. My back is still achy, and I also feel it when I take deep breaths, so I guess my slam went a little deeper than I thought. So I took it easy again this morning.

Have a greta Sunday, and enjoy any games that you might happen to watch!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Nice ketchup as usual Jay - take care of your back - perhaps (horrors) a rest day is in order ((double horrors))

Ran over 5 to get to the beach and fortunately the drawbridge was down in both directions - it can take 15 minutes depending upon the number of boats going through.  we've seen runners doing their hill repeats waiting for the bridge.

spent a lovely yesterday afternoon with aamos and DH.  she is dealing with several hurts but is OK and staying off FB and RA for awhile.

hope dave had a wonderful race (and anyone else racing as well!)

marj

...marj//......enjoyed your FxI Adventure,

reminded me of when I ALMOST joined the SDS......

[[[aamos]]]

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

The Deliberative Session yesterday went from 8:30 till about 4:00. There was some controversy but not as much as there could have been. Now DW and I have to write up and publish pros and cons for each warrant article. That’ll take a few days.

Jay - your town is so lucky to have you and your DW....

Marj - I have been worried about Amy.  I hope she recovers quickly and comes back to us.

Our Daisy dog is always finding food in DD's room and eating things she shouldn't (in spite of repeated reminders to DD to keep food out of reach of the dogs), but this time she apparently ate a make-up pencil.  I found crumbled remains on the floor and her crunching away.  Now she is definitely showing signs of not feeling well.  Hopefully this will pass (in more ways than one).

Well, the Frostbite 5 miler starts at 2pm - another reason I am not racing it but volunteering instead.  I am bad enough at this running thing in the morning, but later in the day I am even worse.  As a volunteer I just need to get there by 1pm.

6 recovery paced miles for me this morning in 33 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein yeah, like proud of someone that dislikes tea taking a sip.  How do I know, "14.1 miles in zero to +5°."

StarrRuns as I always tell people anyone can run a marathon if they want to. Win it? No. But I am sure you would get through it just fine if you wanted to. Then again, there is no reason to do it unless you really want to.

Mariposai very funny. Outside. Nice looking conditions for cross country skiing. Glad I do not have similar conditions around my neck of the woods.

tetsujin209 good call on the not running in the rain, had you gone running which you did not.

coastwalker the meeting started at 3:30 AM and ended at 4:00 PM! I would have wanted to kill people by the end!

mrrun I am not sure what is afflicting Aamos but I hope it heals up fast.

No running for me today. Just time on the elliptical. DW is in the city have lunch with her friends from graduate school. I am working, cooking and doing chores. Very exciting. Tomorrow I have to see if I can match coastwalker's wake up time if I want to run in the morning. In theory I have time after my classes end. In practice I will be too wiped out by them to do anything other than collapse in a chair.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

catwhoorg

Labrat

16.5 which given I have no marathon plans this year will probably be about the furthest I run in any one workout

One of my favorite workouts from the Daniel's HM/marathon plan: 20E 20T 60E 20T 20E

(Warm-up, 20 min at tempo, hour easy, 20 min at tempo, cool down)

Its a good hard workout.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Jay's back with his summary and the Earth is once again rotating smoothly on its axis!

Speaking of HMs (think I saw a few mentions here), I just entered a local one at the end of May. It's called "Back to the Beach" and starts from one of the beaches at the lake that I've been running around lately. The route winds out of the park onto some hilly dirt roads and then back into the park through the (hilly!) trails used for X-C skiing and mountain biking at different times of the year. It's about 2/3 or more of fairly difficult terrain and I haven't done a HM since the June RA meetup in Charlevoix two years ago. I just hope that I'm ready for it, although it's run by a good friend and for a worthy cause, so no loss if I have to write it off as a donation.

Another 6 miles around the lake this morning, but at more of a run-walk pace dictated by the friend I was running with. Much milder weather today -- low 30s with just a bit of wind -- so another good outing. Talked with Steve/Perchcreek in the warming shelter afterwards while consuming coffee and a bagel at the club's monthly event.

No running until Wednesday at the earliest since I start doing real tax returns tomorrow, but I'll check in here from time to time.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

Holly—another nice 20 under your belt.

Erika—tough, as usual.  That's chilly.

Dave—race today?

Mariposai—gorgeous picture.  I’m envious of all of you who have enough snow to cross-country ski.  Our skis are sitting there lonely and unused this year.

Flats—Cool work! Architecture always seemed to me like interesting, creative work (though I’m sure it has its tedious elements, too, like any career).

Catwhoorg—good run.  That does seem like a great workout.

Doug—that sounds like a nice—and challenging—race.  Say “hi” to Perch for me, if you bump into him again.

I ran the 13-mile rail-trail course for my upcoming half.  Since I haven’t been doing any speed work at all, I’m a little clueless about how much my knee will handle and what pace makes sense for the race.  Today, I tested it by heading out at what felt like faster than race pace, while taking a couple of water breaks.  The knee’s not complaining too much, which is good.  I won’t be able to keep up this pace on a crowded trail and with no breaks, but it gives me a sense of what I can reasonably try to do in a couple of weeks.  Productive day.

Third period starting for the Caps, who are destroying LA today.

Go Pats, tonight!

Be safe. Be kind.

Here's a picture from Thursday's frigid run at Stoney Creek Metropark. That's me, 2nd from the right, and no, that's not my twin brother! 

By the way, the woman at the left was a competitor at the Kona IronMan World Championships in Hawaii last November (60-64 AG). She is an amazing athlete while also being such a nice, fun, normal person -- something we all strive for, I believe!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

C-R

Hey All,

Nice pics Mariposai and Doug. Snow and snow.

Careful with that back Jay. See TW for advice.

Some good running and it was nice to hear about aamos. Wondered where she was hanging out. Hope she heals.

Party went well. BDubs for wings for dinner and back home so they could play xbox. At one point, DD, DW and I were watching Dorie movie on Netflix (very cute I highly recommend) and we could hear the boys singing Bohemian Rhapsody karaoke. Gave a giggle.

Ran the 7 mile Groundhog race today. Nothing hard just easy with club friends. Great conversation and it was 45 degrees and sunny. Simply awesome. Thanked the volunteers along the route so thanks for doing that for your race Holly.

Well off to the running store to get some new kicks for kiddo and later Mass. I'm reading today and last week I told out priest that Vegas set the over under on attendance is 51 due to Super Bowl. He laughed. Thankfully.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I did my 6 mile run before church, this morning, because we had to go to our great-granddaughter's 4th birthday party and I wanted to be able to sit in front of the TV, pig out, drink a little bit, and watch the game for the rest of the day.  And that is what I am going to do.

Okay--the couch is getting cold without my butt in it.  See ya!

Marathon Maniac #957

Roch - nice picture!

Mike - you are way too young to be a great-grandpa.

Frosty 5 done, saw lots of friends, added a new teammate to the Sole Sisters, spilled water on my coat only twice, and got a nice sweatshirt for being a volunteer - a great time!

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people standing and basketball court

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

spacityrunner

Did an easy peasy 3.1 miles.  Overcast and cool..not what the weatherman predicted, but just perfect for running.  Tired legs...think I will get a fire in the fire-pit going tonight.  High humidity, low winds and mid 40's seem like the perfect conditions for burning!

Trails Rock!

Careful with that back Jay. See TW for advice.

...Ironically,

I just found out my FlyFishing Buddy is scheduled for Back Surgery, so you may want a 2nd Opinion

=============

...40-min PoolRun, nb, cf, ris, paw

off to Clarksville Wed

(Pickles Sis not doing well)

then hit Nashville Friday for Pickles' Oncology CheckUp

TRANSLATION-

I NEED to get in some Work-outs

.......................good running to the rest of ya, and GO PATS///////////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

I ran the Tallahassee half-marathon this morning. I believe it was the hardest run I have ever done. Every mile had a tough hill in it. Long, half mile or more of up hill running, back down, and then right back up again.  I can't remember any stretch of flat running except for somewhere between 9 and 10 miles. My legs were trashed big time.

I expected a personal worst and I achieved that, but it was only 2 minutes slower than my previous worst and I'm ok with it.

I had to keep reminding myself that this race was a reward for getting back to consistent workouts after missing a few months last year with my weird numbness issues.

We had a good 3 days with the grandkids. Unfortunately we left a crying 8 year old with my daughter and son-in-law.  I think I wore her out too much today and she wasn't able to control herself. She should be fine after a good night's sleep. We're coming back next month during Spring Break for a full week to do it all over again.

12 hour drive on the schedule tomorrow.