Masters Running

Fri Apr 4 Runs and Workouts (Read 622 times)

btb1490

btb, Smile. which Mark Vergesten books do you like? I have 'his' foam roller, & so got one of his books from the library a while ago. I liked a lot of his ideas. Thanks so much for your offer! That would be great. I'm looking for a link that shows what different series he's done.
    http://www.sportskool.com/coaches/mark-verstegen You can see his videos online now! I never knew that. See if this link works, and let me know if you want recordings of any of them. I got his core training for endurance athletes book. I have a couple others but that one so far has been the best one that I've found.
      Erika & PJH--I'm staying not too far from you two--I used to live in Brookline and have stayed there before for the marathon. The Holilday Inn is right on the green line, not a problem to get into where we catch the buses. Don't worry if there is no shuttle. There's lots to do in Coolidge Corner. Restaurants, a large bookstore, pleasant side streets to stroll along. And you can get into town easily. It is 60 here and clear, so I am heading out to run 5 or 6 miles. (Anyone note that there's a full moon April 20, day before the race?) grins, A
      Masters 2000 miles

jules2

Just done 2.5 miles without much problem which is only the second run since my half on the 15th March. The first time I only managed 2 miles before the pain kicked in so things are getting better. I'm going to have a short run every day and stretch a lot then review the situation in a week or two. Last weekends mountain biking was "interesting" got blown over a 200 foot drop but luckily only went about 30 feet before I managed to arrest my progress just in time for the bike to hit me. My team mate was in front and didn't notice so I had to crawl back up with my bike and then he asked where I'd been. Its self supporting so when we got to the wilderness camp we just got the tent up before it rained and it was so heavy and the wind so strong we spent 14 hours in the tent so we couldn't cook.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Oh wonderful.......full moon and people running the streets of Boston from all over the world.....only some of them are not part of the Marathon. Shocked It is a lull in the rain here in Virginia with warmer temperatures and partly sunny skies. It was good enough for me to get out and do 4.05 miles on my taper. Taper?.....what taper?....oh well. btb.....My brother is doing fine. Thanks for asking. They are not rushing him in any sense of the word. He is supposed to walk within his house for 5 minutes each time.....5 times a day. He also was at a friend who is a chiropractor. This guy claims to have a new treatment that is supposed to help with artery blockages. I am not sure on that one, but the thought is that since it is non-invasive it most likely won't harm anything. My brother starts regular rehab on Monday. It sounds like if I manage to get to Boston for the Marathon, I can make money taxiing around some of our runners. All of you will do fine. It is hard to be in a place around that Boston area without finding some good eating places. That is just a great city to visit. It sounds like it will be a blast. jlynne.......who is going to win the basketball is a very interesting question. I had Memphis as one of my final teams, but they are having a little internal problem with discipline on the team and that may hurt them. North Carolina is tough for sure. I somehow DON'T see Kansas being able to do it. If they stay composed I think in the end it is North Carolina. Well....back to the working part of my day. I have a craving for ice cream......I certainly hope that isn't an indication that I am pregnant. Good to see Tall back around Have a great Friday evening everyone.
          Vista

King of PhotoShop

SR, I think Daniels also says to add one thing at a time.. do you think it's ok to increase your pace during that 3 weeks? Would you wait until the mileage is fairly comfortable? I've always wondered if this method was better than the weekly percentage increase.
            I wonder if a younger, fitter runner could do that, but in my case definitely not. I have often spoken out about people adding speed while building mileage. It can be done but it is risky. The good news about my foot is that it now serves as an early warning indicator. If I do too much it lets me know immediately. There are other injuries that seem to go away all at once and lead you to believe everything is fine, so you try to ramp up the miles and then get cocky and stride out a bit with your friends, or get talked into going to a race, then "Wham!" So I think the foot will keep the enthusiasm in check. I think Daniels makes a good point. Spareribs
              Just 4 easy peasy miles with T this morning...8:25 pace... Destination Imagination-My DDs were both involved on teams this year and again DD#1's team won the state championship and will be going to Knoxville,TN for the Global Championships...this is the third year in a row for her...I'm a proud papa...
              Congratulations to lyndenrunner's DD! How exciting! Going back lots of years, my daughter used to be involved in Odyssey of the Mind - and the international championships were also held sometimes in Knoxville. Did that morph into Destination Imagination at some point along the way? In any case, we used to have a great time traveling to these events with the team. I like to think that this sort of activity nurtured her creativity, which is now being applied to her molecular biology research on cancer mechanisms. Last time we were in Boston, I dragged the family the entire length of the Freedom Trail. I'm a little compulsive that way. EZPZ for me too today. Just 3 miles as I try to go into Sunday's race well-rested. Anyone going to the post-race party in Boston Monday night? I heard Ilene is bringing her stiletto dancing shoes.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Holly and the rest of you new to Boston. If you can't/don't do the Freedom trail consider the "Duck" Tour. Only an hour or so and no walking but a pretty cool way to get a brief history of the city. Have a grate time in Baaaaston! Fran
                  Got it into my head to do speed work today. 10 miles total. Around the blueberry field. 43F and drizzle. 2 mile w/u @ 11:21, then 6 x 1 mile reps at whatever pace felt right, with about 4 min walk break, or a bit longer, just depending on how I felt. I was thinking I would do them at about 8:35 pace. I kind of surprised myself. Smile They went like this: 8:39 8:10 8:19 8:20 8:11 (technical glitch, was only 0.73 mile, would have ended at about 8:20 with the hill coming up) 8:33 this one was hard, my legs did not want to spin anymore! 2 mile c/d @ 11:00 This loop is about 0.8 miles long, so I necessarily repeat some of the loop for a full mile. For full disclosure, it has a small hill which I start from, so over the mile there is a net drop of about 15 feet? My question is, what pace would you predict I could maintain for a 5K? I think I'm getting faster... Cool Boston, Boston, Boston, that's all you guys ever talk about!! Wink I can feel the excitement!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Jlynne

Fran - the "Duck Tour" you speak of - is part of the tour the park in Boston that features the ducks from that well-known children's book? I can't remember the author's name, but when we visited Boston a few years ago, we did the Freedom Trail and also walked through that park. Just wondering if your tour is the same thing... Don't know if anyone read the NY Times yesterday. Interesting story on men in their 50's and 60's who are into body building. The pictures were unbelievable, especially since their hard work doesn't involve steroids - just hard work and eating right. I half expected to see a picture of Spare Ribs mixed in with the others! Wink If you get a chance, it's a really fascinating article.

Marathon Maniac #957

Anyone going to the post-race party in Boston Monday night? I heard Ilene is bringing her stiletto dancing shoes.
                      Where is the party? PDR - we where the same shoes I think - Saucony Trigon Ride - which ones are you wearing to Boston? I have a metallic pink pair saved back, only 42 miles on them, just sitting on the shelf waiting..... Jules - oh my! You fell 30 feet and your bike landed on top of you? That sounds like you're lucky you weren't seriously hurt. Shocked

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Where is the party? PDR - we where the same shoes I think - Saucony Trigon Ride - which ones are you wearing to Boston? I have a metallic pink pair saved back, only 42 miles on them, just sitting on the shelf waiting.....
                        About 10 days ago, I ordered a new pair of Saucony Grid Trigon 5 Ride in Navy/Light Blue online at zbsports.com. I feel a little bad not supporting our local running store with this purchase, but the shoes were on sale AND I found an online coupon AND there was no sales tax AND it was free shipping. Total: $68.81 vs $95.00 that I'd been paying in town. Now they just need to show up on our doorstep so that I can break them in a little bit before the 21st. The Boston materials that we received mentioned a post-race dance party at the Roxy on Tremont Street. Admission is free for confirmed Boston runners. We went to something similar after the Chicago Marathon in 2006 and it was really fun. If a bunch of us are able to go, it would be a great celebration party!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

GreenMan

Enke, that workout is gonna make you a star at Eugene. WTG I frittered away a whole morning with a car and repair shop, and finally had them drop me off at the spa, so I could change and run home. 7 miles with with some wu/cd walk. It was mostly downhill so, after warmup I did a little progression run. The cooldown mile was kinda weird. It was drizzling rain off and on. I was loping down the rail-trail listening to my ipod. Suddenly, I sensed something behind me -looked back and and it was a pick-up truck! Thought I was having a Senior/Pink Floyd moment. Traffic's not allowed on the trail. But it was a maintenance crew. I just never had seen one out there before. Smile Good running to ya, JJJ
                          Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                            Happy running, resting, and/or ruminating everyone! btb, hope you continue to heal, but please be careful. Vista, I hope you are not pregnant (who would be the daddy????) Tongue jules, no more Evel Knievel moves! And where are you camping that it rains so much? JJJ, glad the truck wasn't trying to run you over! I kind of doubt you had a senior moment. By the time we all have those, we won't know any different! Tongue To all you Boston Bound Boomers, YEEEEHAAAAHHHHH!!! Big grin Later today, I am running a 3 miler around the skunk-infested corporate park tonight. I plan on coughing and wheezing as much as possible to scare them off.
                            Henrun

Yes, April has cometh and we feel the excitement. Not only is the marathon looming but, in a few days, Marj and I celebrate our anniversary and a few days later, my birthday. Speaking of the marathon, I went shopping at Trader Joe's yesterday wearing my 2002 Boston jacket. I was accosted by 2 'old guys' (probably my age). one asked me if I was running this year and the other asked what the date of the marathon was. Even the Sox home opener (Tuesday) doesn't get as much attention in this area! Smile And Marj's band is practicing for their marathon gijg. I woke up to a rainy day and wasted a morning contemplating whether or not I would go out for my scheduled short run. After lunch I finally bit the bullet, wandered out into the rain and did a slow but steady 3 miler. It lifted my mood to the sky. By the way, for those of you staying in Brookline, downtown is very accessible. We live in Brookline- if you're getting in early (ie. before Saturday), e-mail me and I'm available for a run or 'tour' of the area.
                              stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Stumpy, did CNY have that right? You are a Stumpy from SUNY's ESF at Syracuse? So is the Saint. She tells me it's hard running in steel-toed shoes carrying an axe, but she's doing okay with it in her training.
                                She sure did. I really loved it there, graduated with BS in Fisheries Biology. Now I'm an electrical engineer, go figure. Confused You also find that flannel shirts don't breathe well while running, either. But people usually give you a wide berth. Wink If the Saint went through before or around my time, she was part of a very exclusive group. Maybe 10% female? I think it's improved dramatically since then. BTB--yep, my doc suggested the clips and I installed them this past weekend. make a big difference in effort to apply force all the way around. Also doing the shin splints exercise list and I have to print out the PPV exercices, too. I wish I could suggest some good places in Boston, but I find even after 28 years here, we don't go into the city very often and even less to eat out. Now, if you want for the northern suburbs, I can help some. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.