Masters Running

July 4th, 2016! Hooray! (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

We had a great time with our company yesterday, going to a 'discovery center' on the shores of Great Bay near Portsmouth, NH where we played (with our grandniece) on replicas of a couple of boats and walking a new boardwalk that extended across the salt marsh toward the Bay. Everyone got an afternoon nap, which was great. I took 2 incoming phone calls yesterday, and we wound up with one family coming to stay overnight this Friday, and another couple coming for dinner and an overnight next Monday. DW said I shouldn't answer the phone any more this summer...

Our niece and I went to the 4 On The 4th road race in York, ME this morning. It was great weather, with dry air, temps in the upper 60s and a slight breeze. Our niece had low expectations, since she hadn't been running in a while, but she finished with a pace almost a minute faster than she expected. I won the competitive walking division and was 5th overall in my AG (42:05 - 10:32 pace). The plan is to take the grandniece to the beach for the 2nd time in her young life this afternoon, and we're still on the fence about fireworks tonight - she might be too young to like them.

Looks like Aamos did some great racing today and earned another podium finish - congrats!!

I read WC's post about runners looking old to our niece, and she agreed. She attributed it to all the bouncing loosening the skin around the face, and to runners often losing weight when they run regularly, which may also make their faces look a little older. Personally, I think women runners at any age look fantastic! DW only gives me grief about my racing when races conflict with other plans. So we talk about upcoming races before I commit.

OK, gotta go play host for our company.

Have a greta 4th!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - nice racing!

DH went to work today and I am working from home, but it is raining, so no biggie.

45 minutes of weights and core and PT exercises.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I guess the spinning wheel of life has slowed down enough for me to take some time for myself and enjoy my running once again. I have not been around for a number of reasons but mostly my running had to take a back seat to  my work life after losing my job of 24 years.  I have finally settled into a regular routine so that I can be more consistent with my running.  There for a while working to pay the bills was all I had time for.  I am now at a pretty good place and am managing a receiving dept. for a major retailer.  Yay me!

On the running front I have been very sporadic over the last year but over the last three months have found my groove and I am building a pretty good base.  I don't have any marathons in my near future but maybe by spring. I am planning on running the Crim 10 miler in August something I have missed for the last few years.

I am glad to see most of the old familiar faces and hope to get to know some new ones. For those who don' remember me I started with some of these people way back in 98 I think with a site I don't remember the name of but then eventually it became cool running. Anyway many have come and many have gone I hope to be brought back into the fold as a active member once again.

Just for the record I am in awe of masters women runners and I think that the look of someone in that kind of shape is just about the sexiest thing on earth.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Yes I agree, anyone that is fit looks great to me.  And Carolyn, you would not look younger if you were 25 to 40 pounds heavier like the typical woman your age, so I think your DH is a little mistaken.

Welcome back Hallar!  Good to hear you found a new job and have gotten back into the running groove.

Jay - congrats on your race!  And yes, stop picking up the phone!

I ran 2.5 miles today, I wanted 4 or 5.  I thought maybe the long bike ride yesterday would affect this run, but it didn't, I felt fine.  Not sproinky, but fine.  Unfortunately my knee started barking at me - I think it is meniscus pain.  I had to pack it in.  Seems to get worse the less I run - so I will try again tomorrow.  The 3 of us are going over to MBE's house soon to hang out, play some board games and watch the fireworks in his neighbourhood - which are the main ones for Seattle.  I made a cherry/chick pea salad that I really like and he is going to grill some fish.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Halllar - welcome back!

Enke - enjoy the fireworks and the MBE time.

With DS now a vegetarian, cooking a dinner that both DS and DH like is somewhat of a challenge, but tonight I made taquitos - beef taquitos for DH, using up some leftover crockpot roast, and spicy black bean taquitos for DS, which turned out delicious.  For the spicy black bean filling, I just heated a can of black beans and added about 1/4 cup salsa and a teaspoon of taco seasoning.  Lazy, I know, but these days I am always looking for short cuts. Topped with Jack cheese, they are now a new favorite for DS.

Hope everyone is having some fun today!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Just popping in to wish everyone a Happy 4th of July! I hope you have a great evening of fireworks or whatever you are doing today. As for me, it was an hour on the elliptical.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

The vegetarian tacos sounds delicious, Holly.

Enkie, your salad sounds delicious. Wanna share the recipe with us?

We are in recovery mode today after some great, but brutal backpacking adventure in the wilderness. It was 5000ft elevation gain with heavy backpacks to get to a spectacular glacier lake. The problem: 283 fallen logs on the trail that made us go over, under, or around them to get to our destination. No easy task, but we made it and we enjoyed the lakes very much.

Today was 5 miles run.

Happy USA Independence Day!f Remember, freedom is not free!

Here are some pictures from our  hike.

Oval Lake

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

..Welcome back hallar//......Wishing You Good Running.......

great pics mari//......the 2nd helps remind us that hiking isn't all Picture PostCards and Breathtaking Views.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

Just wanted to pop in here and say hello and hope everyone is having a nice day - however you choose to spend it.  Most of our day was spent getting ready for camping, leaving in the morning and gone thru friday. hoping to avoid the majority of weekend campers by going in the week. Headed out to a lake that I like to run at - the whole perimeter is 30K ( Lost Creek Trail run that I ran this past april). I won't run the whole thing but hope to get in some miles each day. 

Happy Birthday and new AG to Paul and Happy Birthday to Econo!!

Tammy

SteveP

Halllar!!! Missed ya Larry. My running has been sporadic as well.

Mariposai, It sounds exquisite.

Down the road for the campground there was a little 4K on the 4th.  We did it in 25:07 which was good enough for 1/1 AG. I'm not sure if we were 1st in the group or last. Far be it for me to burst the dog's bubble.

SteveP