Masters Running

Ist OA Finish in 5k RR (Read 252 times)

This is worth a mention more the the humor than the achievement. I did a local 5k today: The Ken Hummel Memorial 5k. My two DD's did the "chicken run" (1 mile), with my youngest walking the better portion of the course. Fashion report: DD #1 wore a grey and pink Billabong top with denim shorts and Nike Shox. DD #2 wore a pink skort, a blue t-shirt and Strawberry Shortcake light-up sneaks.

The 5k started soon after. I'd never run the course before, but a local volunteer Fire Company had a lead car. After about 200 yards I took the lead, checked my Garmin, saw that I was at about a 6:30 pace, and kept going. So. This never happens, so I just keep running, and check the Garmin again at the half mile mark......oooops. I wasn't running a 6:30 pace......I was running a 5:30 pace. Heh. Now: I really like it up here, right behind the lead car (lights flashing and everything), but this is too fast for me. I decide to stop looking at the Garmin, and control the inevitable Fade.

The day couldn't be nicer (low sixties, a few clouds), and the course winds through some scenic pastures and cornfields. I'm doing admirably in not thinking about the pain: I try to concentrate on form, and not think about the Garmy. It does occur to me that I could break 19:00 today, so I'm glad to see that the final half-mile or so is a gentle descent, ending in front of the town hall.

By the way, I'm still in the lead. The part of me not hurting (and that's a pretty small part) feels giddy. So, I'm in the last quarter mile. I'm finishing strong. The lead car pulls off. I like this. I'm picking up the pace, feeling the good burn, and people are cheering, yelling a lot.

But. They're not cheering: they're screaming at me to turn around. I've MADE A WRONG TURN. I missed side street with a little out-and-back loop on it. Ugh! So I turn around, do that, then finish, still 1st OA, but really chagrined. 19:24 chip-time. Would I have gone sub-19 without the snafu? Hmmmmm...doubtful. My splits were 6:08, 6:25, 6:32 and :19, so the GPS was telling me that it was a short course anyway.

Thank goodness for small races with chip-timing. FR: White singlet, grey shorts, Adidas Adizero Manas, yellow bandana on my head.

Thanks for reading.

"Wrong Way" Walt

Beginner all over again

Congratulations, Wrong Way Corrigan Walt   

Good run for you, even with the whoopsie in there.

What a fun morning. Wish I were there to see both see you win and see your daughter's light-up sneakers!

Great job, Walt.  Congratulations on a speedy race and1st OA.  To make a wrong turn, recover, and still be first is impressive.  It's neat your daughters got to be there with you.

TomS

Renee the dog

Dude, I can't place in my AG and I haven't made a wrong turn (yet!).  VERY VERY COOL!

Congratulations!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Congratulations!   I am LOL about the "Mix up".  Funny little things can happen often in little those little races.  Wow, you speed is impressive.

Congratulations!  But I want to know something if you are following the pace car how can you make a wrong turn?   I thought they led through the whole course, turn-by-turn?

ConfusedCat

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Very well done Walt.  Wrong turns happen to everyone, but I am glad yours didn't cost you the win.  Great effort.  Spareribs
                  WTG!
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    Very impressive and glad you didn't lose that win!  Cool about the kiddoes attire.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Rocking race Wrong Way Walt! You are speedy and nimble even with a wrong turn.  Congrats!
                      Tramps

Two things you'll never see in my RR:

1. "I took the lead"

2. "I was running a 5:30 pace"

Wow!  This is really an impressive effort, wrong turn and all.

Great job on the victory.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Does your handle stand for "Walt Running Back"?

Nice running Walt !

Since I wasn't umpiring today I could have loaned you my seeing eye dog

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I guess I'll always have to wonder what it's like to be right behind the pace car.  Sure glad you got the full benifit of your fine run.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Wow, great race for you and what a fun day.  Congratulations!

Hint: blame the wrong turn on the fumes from the pace car messing with your head

Progress Trumps Pefection