Masters Running

July 13th Runs & Anything that takes your fancy (Read 408 times)

The Jogger

Morning All Out with Mrs Roy and Woody ( the two go so well together Big grin ) for a short 3 miler. First run in 12 days due to work, courses and a sore throat cold thing. Anyway, all well and so good to be back out there. Although tomorrow up at 5:45 for an all day meeting (lovely). I was also just elected as the manager's union rep so that is going to impact on my time but hopefully not my running. Hope all are well and good runs all Roy

Marathon Maniac #957

Good morning! Thanks, Roy, for starting us out, and congratulations on your new elected position. Enkephalin wrote:
      Ok, so I did the above race, even though I had stomach cramps all last night and woke up with a headache too....Wilderness Peak loop kicked my butt. ..., I had to stop for a minute from shear exhaustion, from just WALKING! 10.19 miles 2:25:29 14:16 pace no face plants
      Enke - now THAT is a victory! Great job, Tuff Girl! Mariposai – congratulations on your 3rd AG placement! Tim – just remember, you won’t be running a marathon in that kind of heat. No run for me today. Maybe I can use this time to finally get all my spring photos edited and sent off for prints. Smile Happy Sunday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

Just back in from a 5.25 mi run along the boardwalk. Sadly, it seems the Coast Guard is conducting a search and rescue. On the upside, the weather was great -- 68 F, with 94% humidity (lots of fog on the mirror this morning Big grin ) Many folks out on the boards at 6:30 a.m. I was slow getting out the door, as my alarm went off at 5:30. How hard is it to get clothes on in the summer and go? Well I do have this summer cold thing going on, so maybe I was a bit foggy myself! I came home and walked in the door and Renee is flipping out and my son (18 mo) greets me with a casual "Mom." (reminded me of "Norm" from Cheers). The dog has apparently been playing babysitter to son as Mr Nono and my 4 yr old are still out cold upstairs. I always leave the Disney channel on when I leave in case this occurance ever happens, but this was the first time my son has ever done this, and in the new house too. Our kids are generally criers if anything is unexpected, like Mom not being downstairs. I'd say he's settling in nicely.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Dave59

Rest day for me. And in a few minutes, a rare travel day as I head to the office in Charleston, WV.
          I came home and walked in the door and Renee is flipping out and my son (18 mo) greets me with a casual "Mom." (reminded me of "Norm" from Cheers).
          That cracks me up. I can picture a little kid doing that. Some Norm quotes to start the day: "Whatcha up to Norm?" "My ideal weight if I were eleven feet tall." "What's going on Mr. Peterson?" "A flashing sign in my gut that says, 'Insert beer here.'" "How's it going Mr. Peterson?" "It's a dog eat dog world, Woody & I'm wearing Milk Bone underwear."

Nice runs Roy and Nono. Glad to see Holly NOT running ... I wanted to get a medium long run in this morning, as I haven't had anything longer than 10 in about 3 or 4 weeks. So out at 5:30 AM with my MP3 player and my Fuel Belt. 12.5 miles in exactly 2 hours. Avg HR 136. 75F and 97% humidity. Nice and slow, didn't push it. Gotta save whatever I have for the speed days during the week. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

"Beer Norm?" "Isn't it a little early?" "What, for beer?" "No, for stupid questions." The Saint and I are headed out for a walk together. Congrats on the promotion Roy. Spareribs
              DickyG

Got back late last night from softball tourney in TN...got a lot of catching up to do...didn't we have 2-3 marathons this week-end? Looking forward to reports. Quick note on the tournament...there were only two teams entered in the over-65 age group so they bracketed us with the 60-65 age teams. Even so, we won 4 out of 6 games and came home satisfied. I actually hit really good...still trying to save groin muscle so I was swinging easier and making much better contact. Sadly I have to report that during the first game yesterday, I unleashed a throw from left field that wounded 4 spectators, 2 deer, and a stray leopard. Even though I usually don't run on Sundays, went out for 4 miles at the track this morning so I would get in 20 for the week...improved to 38:39, not that great but 25 seconds better than my time last Thursday. Still starting to walk after 2 miles. Will be concentrating on golf this week...club championship is this week-end and I haven't played since I ruptured my groin last month...been practicing, though. I decided to compete in the open division rather than the super-seniors..I promise to beat some of the college hotshots. Am posting one of the tee shirts I saw in Atlanta...this one is dedicated to all of us... DickyG
                DickyG

Oops..sorry for a second post. For a great list of Normisms, check out: http://www.jokes2go.com/lists/list53.html DickyG

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Morning! Felt a bit sluggish after running up that mountain yesterday. 4 Magical Healing Miles with Tory in 41:44 (10:26 pace, AHR 134)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

I can't believe a 4 mile run, even a recovery run, the day after a marathon. We're all nuts, but you are nuts. Tongue This is probably on DickyG's link but I like this one (ok it's a Cliff quote, but still from Cheers): "Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers." -- Cliff Clavin I was worried about this run, because of that motivation/confidence thing, but it went fine. The lower humidity helped -- it was "only" 75% at the start, but as the temps warmed up (69°F->76°F) the humidity dropped to 65%. Workout: 15.2 miles, 8:58/mi, AHR 156 Overall: 16.2 miles, 2:25 Have a great run today!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Easy paced 6.2 miles around the neighborhood with DW Smile Very H&H 72F & 90% I think I'm starting to acclimate Cool Roy, no run in 12 days Shocked I would go crazy, but it's a short trip. Clowning around Perch great race yesterday, I guess you should be a bit sluggish today Smile In my dreams the Kenyans can't catch me Big grin Dicky I started running to improve my endurance because I was playing softball over 100 games per year. If I have to say so myself I was good, but I never hit a leopard or even a deer. Big grin

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

Hey kids. TPFD here. I know I've adopted KR as my main place to waste time and be unproductive, but I thought I could perhaps, enhance my non productivity with some help from the RA community. I recently had a arthroscopic cartilage repair on my knee. I've been down for a bit (last run 5/18). But I am cleared for take off and am hoping to make a renewed and successful effort at using the most preferred running log in RA. Which kind of brings me so close to RA Masters Running that it would darn near just impolite to not say hi. I see lots of familiar faces here. Just this morning, Roy, Holly, Bill, Gregory, Steve, and Lou. I guess I need to meet all you others. But I have to say, I like DickyG's style already. Today's post fits the avatar perfectly! I also see Mariposai, Ilene, tet,busiman, CNY (!), Tall, evan, dg (!!)....ok I quit. Nice to see you all safe and sound here, and I hope to a good impression on those I haven't met before my true personality shows its ugly head. Hi! Craig TPFD Oh yeah, I swam today (my second day of workouts), and I hope to test my knee with the bike later.

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"

Tramps

Norm jokes? You never know what to expect here. (The buffalo herd tale is my favorite.) Rare sleep-in Sunday morning followed by a leisurely 3.5 mile run to conclude my doctor-ordered radical cut-back week. Back to normal running tomorrow. ETA: Hey Pro!

Be safe. Be kind.

Hi, Craig - welcome to RA. I think. Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks to everyone who read my rant last night..you guys and gals are awesome and gave some super advise...Bill, that HR spike thing mades perfect sense. From now on (and this is from Ribs, you all) if the weather is like yesterday...slooooow waaaay down and just get the miles in without killing myself....boy the leg cramps in bed last night were horrible. Just got back from a 7 mile easy run, and my legs felt great and feather light...how does that happen the day after a serious bonk? Well, off to Wally World for grocery shopping, and will return later to catch up with you all, and the race reports. Have a good Sunday all. "I feel like a runner again" Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!