Masters Running

...when running Boston "do this" and "don't do that" thread (Read 475 times)

Mariposai

Our stellar runner BQByll just finished his last hard training today and he is now officially ready for Boston. Since this is Bregarcito's first Boston race I thought it would be fun to share some tips with him. I know we have many  Boston experts here as well as many of us who are just simply his huge fan and cheerleaders!!!

So...Byll...when in Boston...don't worry about time...just let the heart and legs soar!!!! Have fun!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

ButterflyGyrl, while I really appreciate the sentiment, let's not make this about me.  There are many runners among us headed to Boston, and I'm sure all of us, even the many-years-returning, grizzled Boston veterans, can always find tips to help them out.

So, please take out my name in the title and Start posting all those great tips!  I'll be reading them all.

Bill

PS:  I still remember the tip from Coolrunning days of using a big garbage bag, filled with wadded up newpapers ... suppsoedly makes a great chair while waiting for the start!

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

wildchild

Carolyn

I remember the tip that if you wear a garbage bag like a poncho, you can pee into a cup and avoid the porta-potty lines!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I remember the tip that if you wear a garbage bag like a poncho, you can pee into a cup and avoid the porta-potty lines!

Whoops, I spilled my lemon-lime gatorade!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

Sorry Byll, I don't know how to erase your name from the subject line...any help from anyone?

yeah, I remember the big garbage bag tip also...hahah funny what our old minds remember.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #3309

Nancy....just modify your post, and change the subject line any way that you want -----No tips from me.....that would help anyway (smiles) - Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

Aamos came up with something like that too, I remember her telling us in Seattle as we walked to the start.

I really don't have many tips for Boston. Really. I never did the garbage bag and newspaper thing because I always took a shuttle and got there in time to not have a long wait. I always start out too fast and zipped down the beginning hills and got a PR time out of it. I'm like a poster girl of "what not to do" so will be checking this thread for tips on how to do it right.

5 Days to Go

Boston Globe Marathon Central

Hopkinton to Boston in 8 minutes

As a first-timer, the only thing I really have burned into my brain is to start slow. I'm told that If I feel like I'm jogging comfortably, slow down. And stay to the right at Wellesley College.

I always start out too fast and zipped down the beginning hills and got a PR time out of it. I'm like a poster girl of "what not to do".

So, you're saying getting a PR time is what not to do???

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

So, you're saying getting a PR time is what not to do???

Bill

More of what not to do.

evanflein

Byll, the most common thing you ever hear is "don't go out too fast on those downhills" but that's what I did. But then, any run I do starts with a couple of miles of downhill so I'm used to it. I did a lot "wrong" on my race, but it worked for me. But I don't recommend it for others, unless they run like that all the time.

That Matt Fitzgerald link George posted is a good one.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

The old Cool Running Boston Running Tips can be downloaded at Tim (WA5YOM's site) here:

http://www.twentysix-two.com/boston-running-tips-download_a/

This is a great review!!!!!  (one note: when written, it was a Noon start instead of 10 or 10:30)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

King of PhotoShop

Some of you may recall that I started that thread and others built on it and it was saved for a while and was useful.  There is a story associated with it that I may have shared at one time.

In 2002 I think it was or maybe 2004, I forget, but I was ambling along, wearing a singlet that said "Spareribs" on the back.  Well, a guy came alongside me from behind and said, "Are you the same Spareribs as the guy on the internet who started that thread on Boston running tips?"

I said that I was.  And he said, "That was really helpful.  Thanks a lot!" and with that he whizzed on by me. So I am feeling pretty good about this, when about ten minutes later, another guy comes along and asks me basically the same thing, and he passed me too.  As did a few more.

I began to think "I'm glad I put all these ideas out there to help everyone beat me!"  And wondered what these other people must have been thinking: "If he's so smart, how come I'm kicking his butt?"   Spareribs

my basic advice ....... DO --- HAVE FUN   

DONT --- STRESS about time  

and another Do -- look for me among the sea of volunteers at the start!!

denise

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Take the T - it's free to runners on Monday.

Wear your medal everywhere you go on Monday - but wearing it on Tuesday is a fashion faux pas.

Bring a thick tip black magic marker to the pre-race.  Write your name on your arms/legs/anywhere it will be seen.