Masters Running

Wed Aug 27 Runs and Workouts (Read 361 times)

I feel bad about doing nothing but posting my run and not replying. I am reading the thread I am just pressed for time. Like I know yesterday's thread was about eating before you run. I do not. Well, sometimes a bottle of sports drink. Does that count? But I bring a LOT of Gu and ShotBlocks with me to consume along the way for runs over 12 miles. Maybe if the work gods smile on me today I will get back to the forum later on today. I ran with my TP today for 15+ miles. All I can say is it is a good thing it was not a race day! I ran on legs of concrete from start to finish. Longest 15 mile run of my life. Dead Glad to be home and done. Wishing runs than I had to everybody today!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

No excitement today. I have work to do, so I went out for a 2 mile walk in 34 minutes. At least that's something. Catch you later. Spareribs
        Once while in Dallas on business I saw three skunks running toward me, shoulder to shoulder. I was getting a run in before a deposition. I gave them a wide berth; could have been a very different day otherwise.
        Ouch, I can hear the jokes that would have ensued. Dead grins, A Sox beat the Yankees last night Big grin
        Masters 2000 miles
          Perfect running weather day here in Western, MA. I hit 21.6 miles at 8:16 pace and it felt great. Not sure where the energy came from since I got home at midnight last night after a day in Pittsburgh, but I'll take it. The leg turnover felt fine and my stride felt easy. The kiddo knew I was blue earlier in the week and made me a playlist of songs with the words: "Go" or "Run" or "Beautiful" or "Fast" or "Boogie" in their titles. So Bono, KC and the Sunshine Band and various others joined me on my run. Great stuff and very sweet of him. I am off to Boone , NC later this afternoon---I'll be packing my umbrella! Lots of good runs here today. I smelled a skunk on my run, but didn't see one. Bleh. Go Sox! I am glad they remembered how to play after letting the Jays maul them on 8/23. Gotta scoot....more later Karin/CNYrunner
            I hit 21.6 miles at 8:16 pace and it felt great. Not sure where the energy came from
            Simply awesome! What a nice kid too. Was scheduled for 4 ez today but I decided I need to rest my legs after yesterday's less than awesome workout. I really enjoyed sleeping in. Have to go buy a dryer today as ours bit the dust yesterday and I had socks and underwear hanging all over the place drying or more accurately not drying, in this damp PNW house. We take all these modern conveniences for granted, don't we? I am agonizing about a HMP to pick. I know I should be able to beat my PR from last March, but by how much? Should I be conservative? Should I play it riskier? I don't want to blow up but I also feel I can take several minutes off my PR if I have a good day. HM is on Labor Day. And the thing is, this doesn't matter to anyone but myself! I am thinking conservative....I can always dump my tank the last 3 miles.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Enk - have you tried plugging a recent race into McMillan's Running Calculator? I found it to be uncannily accurate last year, even up to the marathon distance.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, I agree that calculator is pretty accurate. Problem is my most recent race was a 5K on July 4th that I screwed up by going out too fast and getting a horrible side stitch. I should have been able to do it faster. Guess I will just have to go by feel...that is the exciting part...not knowing what certain paces will feel like on race day, just like on any daily run! Are you doing a half soon? Was it supposed to be a marathon?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

lamerunner

Aamos, opposing counsel was being a pill in that case and it crossed my mind that I could make his day pretty unpleasant, but then I realized I would be kicked off the flight home...and of course the jokes. Only time I have seen three together like that, must be Texas thing.... CNY, great run! My last long run was horrible, so I am hoping for redemption Friday morning.

Marathon Maniac #957

Are you doing a half soon? Was it supposed to be a marathon?
                    I am registered for the Air Force HM on Sept. 20. I am also registered for the Columbus Marathon on October 19. I registered for both before I got this tendon injury; otherwise I would not have wasted the money. However, being that I am indeed already registered, I am hoping to run at least the HM and possibly the Marathon as fun runs, prepared for a PW at both, just hoping to finish and earn the t-shirt. Besides, it's a lot more fun at the back of the pack; people aren't so driven and serious, and they have breath left to chat... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Speaking of pace calculators, putting in my 5K time gives me a 3:15 - 7:27 pace Marathon time...I don't know about that, being my first Confused Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Tim, I'm not really qualified to answer, but I think McMillan is good for guessing between 5K, 10K and half-marathon. If it was accurate, my first marathon would have been at 10:10 pace and not 11:10 pace! Tongue Everyone will tell you you have to be really well trained for the marathon distance in order to run a Mcmillan calculator pace.

Mary--I really want to go "home" and run the Detroit Marathon, so I like the new avatar, but I hae to say, I miss the Brinkster. enk--my dryer's sounding like the Spirit of St. Louis these days--after you do the research, let us know which dryer you select? Karin, glad you're feeling better....I've been down a bit too, maybe I need that playlist....or the new Beach Boys CD, anyone else hear it yet? 6.22 in 50:46, and a 7:51 last mile--70s here today. grins, A
                          Masters 2000 miles
                          wildchild

Carolyn

70s here, too, today. I went for a quick 4 miler on a trail near work at avg 9:45 pace. Miles were 10:29, 9:42, 9:01, 9:46. I'm hoping to PR at a 10K in a week and a half, which means I need better than a 9:47 pace.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice speedwork Tim and Dave Twocat.. amazing how some days are good and some are bad?? I smelled skunk on my run today too. Mcmillan calculator pace is based on VO2Max correlations and such and some people are better at shorter distances, some at longer. For me if I plug in my fastest actual 5K it predicts my fastest actual marathon time perfectly....but my half marathon time is faster than the Mcmillan calculator predicts which means I have a faster marathon in me! Some say double your half marathon time and add 10 minutes. My dad's kidney stones removals and general anesthesia went off without a hitch. All is good. I had a creaky rickety run today in Vienna VA. After a day off I always get so durn stiff. The first 5 miles were working out the kinks with slappy feet and tight calves. Then some hills loosened things up. Then I got a bit lost going down dead end roads trying to find a rails-to-trails route to run 600m repeats. Finally got to it and ran 5 hard sessions of 3 minutes with 2 min at regular speed. I did this by time because some of the repeats were in windy trails in the woods after I left the r2t portion... so the garmin was useless. There were a number of hills that sucked out my wind so it was a good mishmash VO2max workout, just not pretty. About 10.6 miles in 1:30:05 (8:30 AHR 157 overall). Aslo ran in shoes with 425 miles.... but new Asics 2130's were waiting for me when I got home, can't wait for tomorrow!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tammy, I'm sorry to hear your husband has some complications from his surgery. I hope it's minor and short lived. craneium, it's nice to hear from you. Nice long runs for Holly, bike, Peter, Twocat, and CNY. Good job on the speedwork for enke and BC. This morning it was about 50, fairly calm, and clear. I got in 7 miles in about 1:07:30 for a 9:38 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS