Masters Running

April 10 Wicked Weather Wednesday (Read 42 times)

pfriese

growing up, there was nothing I needed that I did not get, but there were a lot of things I wanted that I did not get.

like, +1, & using for my FB status.

Paul

deez4boyz my big toe nails are now blue too!  Alas, mine are due to a new pair of sneakers squashing my big toes.  That pair is now gone for the count but alas too late to save my nails.  Sad  Really sad because my right nail had just about grown back.  Cry

I went off for an easy 7 today in what can only be called phenomenal weather.  For once New England is not at the bottom of the weather chain!   (I know, I know there is our Alaska contingent.  But their weather is so off the charts nobody can compete!)  Tomorrow looks to be pretty good and I will likely do 6.

In other news I booked dinner for Saturday night in Boston.  I was also busy with paperwork today.  I managed to get a pile of documents together (not just tax) that had to go off organized and out.  One set will get me reimbursed for business expenses so that will be nice to see, when it eventually arrives which will be who knows when.  Why is it when I owe money it has to be "paid right now" and when a university owes me money it has to be "paid whenever we darn well feel like it."  Something is not right here.

P.S.  I have been really good about weather checking about Monday!  I have only two web pages hot keyed with the weather at the start and finish and I do not look at them more than 4 times an hour!  Yes, I am proud of my forbearance!  Big grin

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

growing up, there was nothing I needed that I did not get, but there were a lot of things I wanted that I did not get.

Priceless quote! Yes count me in this category as well.

But ONE thing I have without limit...love, support and cheer-leading from my family!!! 

yeap! of course I felt rich because I had love and was loved!

Funny that MikeE talked about his socks yesterday. Yesterday afternoon I was meeting with a very successful lady in my community. She mentioned how much she like my red shoes (teasing her I said, watch out...I am a sassy girl today). Oh, can i tell you my childhood story about red shoes, she said?

She went on to tell me how every year when they went school shopping she would ask for a pair of red shoes, but for school she needed a black pear and of course since she was allowed only one pair per year she did not get her wishes.

She went on to tell me a very long story.

After a while I asked her if she has ever purchased a red shoes for herself. Her answer was NO. She said that somehow she feels that she does not deserve to have a pair of red shoes, even now as a very successful adult.

My answer? girl, you go and buy yourself a red pair of shoes. Your soul need it!

Today there was a message on my phone saying: I got it!!! and it feels good!

For me, the longing was for a store bought doll. My mama was an amazing seamstress and with 4 girls in the family she made all our dolls. I soooo longed for a store bought doll for so many years. Ok, that is another story for another day.

Running? not yet , but ohh boy...I do have plans for a sweet run tomorrow! yeahhhhh

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Speaking of the Boston Marathon, I saw a guy downtown today at 5pm, in a parking lot at a pay meter paying for his ticket.....wearing dress pants, a white dress shirt, a tie, .........and a blue and yellow Boston marathon jacket!  It was totally incongruous!!!  I was thinking.....wholly obnoxious dork.....never mind......he was obviously very proud.  Good for him.

My sister once said, poverty creates character.  Many kids brought up in upper class families have a lot of behavior and achievement expectations put on them, with what they can do for a living and who they can date and how they can behave.  And they cannot deviate from the norms of their class.  Other classes however, can define and redefine themselves, and act in ways that would be unacceptable if brought up in other families.

I had an interesting discussion today with a coworker about "happiness".  Apparently, according to scientists, your basic happiness level is determined 50% by genetics (personality), 40% by things completely within your control, and only 10% by circumstance.  I think most people have it in their heads that circumstance creates 80% of their happiness or misery, but it simply isn't the case.  That malleable 40% is greatly influenced by social networks, family, exercise, maintaining a healthy positive attitude etc.  Without a doubt, running is a big part of that 40% for me.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I had an interesting discussion today with a coworker about "happiness".  Apparently, according to scientists, your basic happiness level is determined 50% by genetics (personality), 40% by things completely within your control, and only 10% by circumstance.  I think most people have it in their heads that circumstance creates 80% of their happiness or misery, but it simply isn't the case.  That malleable 40% is greatly influenced by social networks, family, exercise, maintaining a healthy positive attitude etc.  Without a doubt, running is a big part of that 40% for me.

I've been interested in this lately too, as well as what "contentment" is.  Right now I am content and pretty happy.  I have had electricity for the last two hours and used the pc, telephone, tv, lights and microwave.  In a few moments my house will go dark, save the fire in the fireplace but I will find my toothbrush and work light.  I can do my business in the porta potty in the garage if I want to, if I remember the flashlight in my pocket. I can read in bed with my fancy battery light that I wear around my neck.  I think I will still be content.  I may be happy when the 8" of snow comes on top of our trees coated with 1" of ice already.  Not to mention the power lines.

I am happy that my mom is out of the hospital from pelvic fracture(s) and rib fractures.  I am so happy that there is a Medivan to transport her to the nursing home since my car's passenger door is still frozen shut.  I am not happy that I have not ran since Easter Sunday.  He is Risen, but I certainly haven't.  We closed on the sale of our home on Friday April 5th, so had much to do that week.  Now the sewer doesn't always work at this home (hence the porta potty in the garage).  I am content, but not really happy happy.

Our town is under quite a bit of stress with the trees down and the power situation.  No incoming power at all on the downed transmission lines but my former boss had the foresight to build a deisel generation plant.  Those have been running all day to supply to the city on rolling blackouts.  During the blackouts its not so bad, just different without all the things we normally depend on.  We know that the power will be back on and then stay on for 45 minute to an hour.  I am happy I got this typed before my time was up!

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/1020811/14/Ice-leaves-thousands-without-power-in-southern-MN

Wicked Weather indeed!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

I didn't get out to take pictures today since I had to work, yeah at the Public Utility Office.  Here are some pics on the public tv station.  Even the grass has an inch of ice on it. Some of from the roads here in town.

Power lines toppled like toothpicks

It could be a while before this is up and running.  Luckily all of our electric lines are underground so once the transmission line is back up and running we will be better off.  We are much better off than the rural customers, that's for sure.

The 500 foot radio tower toppled in the night too.  It was kinda quiet at work today.

This is the entrance to the building where I work.

Lots of trees like this down,,,, everywhere

The bike path where I run around the lake

I thought this one just looked cool

I doubt if we'll have internet at work tomorrow, and this laptop needs a new battery.  Hi to all and to all a good night.  good running guys...

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow, Starr - that is some ice storm!  Here's hoping for a warm-up in your area to melt that away.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Well, this is weird.  I'm reading Starr's post and listening to the same story and looking at the same pictures on the news.