Masters Running

Monday Daily Runs for August 23 (Read 509 times)

Good Morning !!!!

I know this will probably be confusing to West Coast posters (like Erika) who still have some time left before Sunday night is over but I am actually starting my Monday work day (at 2 AM).    At work we are close to the end of our "extended hours" phase with only a couple weeks left.   My goal is that I am trying to get in 5-6 hours of work this morning before the day crew comes in and I will then be able to do the normal 10 hours of work with them.   Now to think that I started this job in November on the basis that it would be a part time job.  Ha!!!

I did manage about 4 hours of sleep before I woke up with leg cramps apparently from my 8 miles of running yesterday.  I was out of bananas so just went to our brand new Walmart that is located just a half mile from me on another road from where I live.   I have the benefit of the store being close (by using a back cut through street) without having the traffic affect my area directly.  It is huge and beautiful and it just opened four days ago.   Hello for convenience.

It is now a month away from the Virginia Ten Miler Race, which is the race that got me started running back in August of 2003.   They have several other divisions that have opened to compliment the main 10 miler race (4 Miler / children’s mile race / 4 Mile walking "race".  This will mark my 8th consecutive year in this race.  It is the Ten Miler's 37th year and they still have 4 men who have raced in every one of them.

My question for you today is:.......What race are you currently in a consecutive year streak with and how many years have you made it in a row?    

Have a great day......and a great Monday

Vista
    evanflein

Good grief, Joey! I just got DS1 to get the dishes done! And I'm sampling the blueberry buckle that just came out of the oven a few minutes ago. I'm sure I'll have eaten enough to more than make up what I've run today.

As for consecutive races, I've probably done that Midnight Sun Run since 2003... so 8 years in a row now. The Equinox I've done consecutively since 2005, but last year (and this year) I ran the new 50k ultra option. We have lots of local races here that I've done most every year, and I haven't missed a series race since 2006... So, quite a bit of consistency here once I figured out what the local running club's series was all about.

Vista, you are already working? To think that i had the nerve to sleep.
        The weekend's miles conspired to make me quite sore...I am hurtin' for certain.
        An easy 3 this morning...working the soreness out.
        Have a good day everyone!
        Walt

Morning everyone. Geez, Joey. You make the rest of us look like slugs! Sorry about the leg cramps - hope the bananas helped.

Nice racing yesterday, Erika! Got any of that blueberry buckle left? Have you ever dried to dry the blueberries for stuff like granola? I love fresh blueberries on just about anything.

Walt - how's the black walnut staircase coming along? We'd love some pictures when you get it finished. Rest those tired legs today.

Hey Enke -  So glad you're running well again.

Congratulations on the new wheels Leslie. My sister has a Camry and absolutely loves it. She's got over 100,000 miles on it and it looks like brand new.

My legs were tired this morning so I decided to go to the Y and use the eliptical instead of running. 5 miles followed with some upper body weights and stability ball stuff. Now off for the first full week of school. It ought to be interesting today - predicted high of 85° and no air conditioning....

Oh yeah - the Divorce Open yesterday? DH and I won!

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Hey, I was up at 4am today, got out of bed and everything.

But then I went back to sleep.

We've had torrential downpours here for the past two days. And to think I was just wishing it would rain, since I'd missed running in it for quite a while now.

Waiting on public service to come this morning, so I can't get out to run until after. The appointment window is 8-12. Maybe I'll ride my stationary bike in the meantime.

Happy Monday, everyone!

BlazinCajun

Congratulations on an extension of Jlynne's marriage - Divorce Open Champs!

Vista - early bird gets the worms

Erika - nice race

Walt, you had an easy 3 - me to.

Have a great day!

Andrew
              ------------------
              God, my Lord, is my strength;
              he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
              and enables me to go upon the heights.
              Hb 3:19

Divorce Open Champs?  I had to go back and see what Jlynne was up to with that one ...  Congrats!

This weekend was great.  We went up to Singer Island and stayed at a timeshare right on the end of the opening to the Port of Palm Beach.  Beautiful.  We saw all manner of water craft from jet skis to cruise ships.  The boys spent almost every waking hour on the pool.  I played/worked with the 7 year old and just about got him swimming, so that was cool.

I ran along A1A both Saturday and Sunday.  Yesterday I ran an easy/GA 10 mile run and everything was great ... till I took the shoes off and saw blood covering my left sock.  Apparently one of my toenails nicked the toe next to it though I never felt anything.  It's really nothing, but you would not believe what my left shoe looks like.  I'll try to post a picture tonight, but I need to throw these shoes in the washer.  Gross.  How do you wash running shoes anyway?

8 easy miles this morning at 9:13 pace.  The endurance appears to be there.  But now to get the LR's up to distance.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Dave59

Vista - I recently read that the #1 selling item for WalMart is bananas.

I don't have any race streaks going.  I've been in Michigan for 9 years, and I'd have to check, but I think I had a streak going at a local 5k/10k that takes place in June, but I ditched it this year to run in Deadwood.

What an ordeal to get up early and run.   I use "the stick" and a foam roller to work out the sore areas, taped up my foot, put a little muscle rub on my  calf muscles to see if would help the cramping or whatever it is that is happening, and finally got out the door for 4 miles (with some walking mixed in.)  I'd like to get in a habit of getting up early (not that whole routine though.)

I started out so bad that I started thinking it may be time to quit this running thing.  It'll be 37 years this fall when I laced up my first pair of running shoes on the high school cross country team.  It's been a good run.  Most people have either quit by now, or they are running machines.  Why do I keep plodding along?

But eventually I loosened up and had some decent stretches of running.

...dave//........'Cause that's What We Do.......

and I asked myself the same question at Year 25............I am now on Year 41

buy

some NEW SHOES,

the Psychologal Effect alone is worth it.

eta-

I've been a Cooperite since 1964......here's why some of us run

<font><font><font>http://www.cooperaerobics.com/getdoc/b9452a98-51e6-435a-9157-2dcc7d2eb589/Aerobics-Points-System.aspx</font></font></font>

==========

........poolrunning tonite after work.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Slo

Heya Masters !

Nice start Vista.

A very nice and cool 5 mile recovery run this morning. After yesterdays long run sweat fest I left myself chaffed under the arm pits. Thank goodness for Aquaphor. Looks like a 1 day reprive and then right back into the muggies.

As far as a summer goes.....this one has been down right miserable......and expensive. The central air has been running since may. We usually get a few weeks during the summer to shut it off........ok I'll stopmybitchin.

Running well all !

OrangeMat

MM #6177

==========

........poorunning tonite after work.......

tomwhite, please fix that typo. At first I read it as "poor-running". You don't want to set yourself up with negative vibes from the get-go. Jus' sayin'....

tomwhite, please fix that typo. At first I read it as "poor-running". You don't want to set yourself up with negative vibes from the get-go. Jus' sayin'....

..tnahks.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Vista....Nice part time job!

Dave... I hope all those tweeks just get better.  I remember periods when I was running well and I'd look back to battling injuries and running with massage, stretch, warmup, taping, braces, etc.... and I'd think..."what was I doing?"  If you have to do all that to run, what you need to do is not run until it's all healed.  That's where pool running, and patience come in to maintain running fitness.

My runs keep getting better lately.  5 miles in 42:51 (8:34, AHR 151) with some nice striders and the last mile at 7:58.

2 mile walk with the dogs in 26:44 before the run.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Leslie, I have a 92 Camry with over 200,000 miles on it.  Good choice!

We hit 100 yesterday!!  It was the first time since '07.  Lots of boys running shirtless yesterday.  I got in 6 before it got too hot.

Cooled off enough so we could have supper with BIL on the porch.  (I do love that porch.)

Gym day for me.

I think in taking it easy last year, I lost most of any streaks I had going.  The only one I still have going is 7 Bostons.  Hope to make it 8 in 2011.  I ran Miami in January and I'd like to make that a streak .

Congrats Jlynne and Erika.

Think CNY is off-line but on the Vineyard for her vacation??   Perhaps consulting with Mrs. O on a running program for healthy kids??

I'm just asking

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
                              Slo

TWOCAT..........

Where are yooooooouuuuuu ????

Just wonder'in........A little Twocat wisdom goes a long way.