Masters Running

Saturday 4/6/19 (Read 39 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks,

Super busy here, dealing with work and family stuff.  Heading out to Columbus now to do an overnight and catch a show with friends.  I'll try to catch up on the last couple of days when we are chillin' in the hotel room.

8.2 miles for me this morning in 52 degrees (yay for 52 degrees).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BTY

...Gee, and I was afraid BTY was gonna OverDo it......

/\ /\  Due to lack of an Alfred E. Newman emoticon.

dnaff

Tramps, thank for gathering the trash.  I need to make another pass thru my neighborhood.  Yesterday the garbage trucks came through but it was windy - there is stuff everywhere.  (and my dog either eats it or rolls in it)

BTY, thank you for the feel good post of the day.

KSA, I'm with you, don't wear the shirt until after the race.  (unless the RD tells you to - I was in one like that once)

5 miles for me today.  That is my official long run!  I could look in my log to see how long its been since I did 5 but maybe I don't really want to know.  The forecast was for 70 degrees but it was 55 and overcast and perfect!

Joe618

Morning all and great running all around already! 

Nice race, Karen, didn't realize you have such nervousness about a race.   And on a runway?  Was this an abandoned airport??   Totally agree with you about NEVER wearing the race shirt in the race.   That's my own Rule #1.   Obviously others don't see an issue with it. 

Tramps, I like your effort on the trash pick up.   Thank you.   If we all grabbed one or two pieces of trash on each run, the impact would be significant. 

dnaff, good job on getting in 5!!   That's solid!

Jay, you had a great day yesterday.   Glad all the art works well too. 

I had a nearly-perfect Saturday morning.   The short version here.   We have spent all winter hoping for such a morning...sunny, little wind, temps between 50 and 60.   Perfecto.

I went down to a local park to get in my required 6 miles and incorporated hills as well.   Went wonderfully.   Stopped and talked with another local runner I haven't seen in a while but whom I had seen was also going to Boston next week.   His second trip there, we had a great chat and he helped me on a couple of details about pre-race in Athlete's Village. 

Then, at 9am, I joined GS#1 for a Saturday track practice at this same park.   The coach wanted the track runners to get in some hill work, just to vary the muscle use.  GS and I ended up running 3.4 miles together, which is significant in that this is the longest single run he has ever done...previous record was just over 2 miles.   He's enjoying track and the coaches have a very good culture going....I enjoyed being a "fly on the wall" with them today.    Here are the two of us after the run.

From there, I had an early lunch with one of my best pals.   He's a deep thinking guy and we have excellent time together. 

It was a perfect morning.   Nice to see those.   I hope your days are going as well.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Joe--sure hope you'll be in town and able to attend the Partay.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...mid 70s.....

........65-min RC at soccerfields...........knees felt fine

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Love that picture, Joe.  Your grandson has come SO far. That's great.     This was at the big airport- BNA!  I don't know if the runway is closed/abandoned or just closed for this event today.  We ran a runway race in Dallas in the mid-90s right before a new runway was going to open.  It was really a great event. (I might have posted this before).  My son set a state record for 5K (I think he was 11 or 12) at that race.  That's why I wanted to do this one- flat and fast.  This was NOT a new runway.  It's sort of boring but sort of neat to be running on a runway.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

spacityrunner

I got out today!  Put gas in the car and went grocery shopping all by my one armed self 

and for for the first time ever I lost a credit card. It was easy peasy to cancel it but I panicked for just a minute.

Trails Rock!

BTY

BTY- you are doing great with your swimming.  It really is a different deal and mindset than running.  I did quite a bit of Masters swimming in the late 90s in Dallas.  My excellent coach said I swam the same pace for a 50 as I did for a 1500.  I couldn't quite get used to the pain of the sprints. 

You remind me of my former supervisor who has since retired.  She ran mostly ultras.  She said she found at a certain point she could run no faster than a 10:00 mile - but she could do that for 100 miles.  Smile   What I'm finding really different is that I don't have a resuorce like this one, which was so valuable to me 15 years ago (back in the CR Masters Days) when there were so many experienced runners offering to post suggestions and recommended workouts and methods of recovery.  I'm sort of winging it.  As far as pain and sprints go, for swimming?  "No brain, no pain" works for me.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I was scheduled to do a 15 mile log run, today, but tagged along with Ryan and the other assistant cross country coach for a trail run, instead.  It was muddy, wet, muddy, drizzly, muddy, hilly, muddy, puddly (not sure if that is a word, but there were a bunch of water puddles), and did I mention it was muddy?  I don't know why people drive 45 minutes each way to go run on trails like that...it was miserable.  We ended up doing 11.53 miles.  I know!  .53!  I was too dang tired to even get another .7 miles to make it 11.6 and there was no way I was going to go another .47 to make it an even 12.  Now, tomorrow, I have to add .47 miles to  my 15 mile long run...there is no way I can end the week on a non whole number.  The things I do just to be able to run with Ryan.  Have I ever told you how much I love with Ryan?

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Nice racing, KSA, but I agree that I can't imagine a worse running venue than an airport runway. Not only concrete, but totally out in the elements whether sun, rain, wind, whatever. And a few gentle ups and downs are better for your running since they let you vary your pace and stride, alter the loads on your muscles, etc. I can get really beat up if I'm on a long, flat straightaway all the time.

Beautiful day today, and since tomorrow is club run day I took my bike out for the first outside ride of the year. Yea!! The trainer miles paid off as I was a little sore but felt like I had good power once I was warmed up a bit (also overdressed for the ride as usual). 12.86 good miles and even set a surprising Strava PR on a segment after the turnaround.

On the way back, the trail goes through a small downtown area that is one of those artificial downtowns that are laid out by the city planners but never quite catch on. Businesses open and close all the time so it never seems to be more than 50% occupied. Naturally, the coffee shop that I used to stop at on this route has been replaced by a smoothie shop. Since I couldn't have my "first trailside coffee of the year" I rode across the street to the good ol' Twist-n-Dip --which has been there forever -- and had my first trailside butterscotch sundae of the year! 

Good rest-of-the-weekend to all of you!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

coastwalker

Hiya everyone.

Just reporting in that I did 6.45 RW miles at the indoor track this morning - it was just a little too wet from this morning's rain and a little too cool to take the crew for an outdoor workout. My well-taped ankle behaved reasonably well, although I never really maxed out my effort this morning. I was thinking of jumping into a race tomorrow, but the ankle said not to do it if I know what's good for me. So I'll be out on the streets on my own again tomorrow morning instead.

I'm in between chores, so I have to get back at it. No rest for the weary...

Have a greta time with the rest of your Saturday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Anzlo

Joe - Handsome guy standing there next to you Smile

Worth the wait to run/walk midday, no rain, well a sprinkle briefly during it, but very pleasant actually. So, 7 miles run/walk today and along with earlier this week that gets me 24 run/walk miles (4 workouts) for the week along with 3 workouts of 3 miles walking followed by some light strength training ... and I seem OK. I am pretty encouraged right now. Repeating this cycle for a few weeks should confirm things.

Wishing you all the best of weekends !

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD

spacityrunner

It was muddy, wet, muddy, drizzly, muddy, hilly, muddy, puddly (not sure if that is a word, but there were a bunch of water puddles), and did I mention it was muddy?  

Swoon

Trails Rock!

Joe618

Hello everybody!

I was scheduled to do a 15 mile log run, today, but tagged along with Ryan and the other assistant cross country coach for a trail run, instead.  It was muddy, wet, muddy, drizzly, muddy, hilly, muddy, puddly (not sure if that is a word, but there were a bunch of water puddles), and did I mention it was muddy?  I don't know why people drive 45 minutes each way to go run on trails like that...it was miserable.  We ended up doing 11.53 miles.  I know!  .53!  I was too dang tired to even get another .7 miles to make it 11.6 and there was no way I was going to go another .47 to make it an even 12.  Now, tomorrow, I have to add .47 miles to  my 15 mile long run...there is no way I can end the week on a non whole number.  The things I do just to be able to run with Ryan.  Have I ever told you how much I love with Ryan?

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Mike, yeah, that's the reason you drive 45 minutes each way to fight through mud.   Nothing speaks more of your love for Ryan than that type of action. 

You're a good man. 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.