Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 12.30.17 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Friday's workouts:

RunnerKSA (4 morning miles in 19° temps to reach 2K miles for the year)

Dave59 (3.1 TM miles at an almost empty gum)

Lamerunner (6 morning groomed trail miles in -16° temps - frozen eyelashes)

Tomwhite (60 min X-bike)

Fatozzig (crutches cross-training)

Henrun (3 cabin-fever antidote morning miles in 7° [-4WC] temps)

C-R (3.1 relaxing TM miles)

Analogkid (3 +/- miles + 3-4 60-sec jump rope sets)

Holly (6.8 morning miles in 18° temps)

Tet (6 early morning miles in mid-40s temps)

Bioguy (3 EZ miles)

Twocat (1 hr on the elliptical)

Mike (5 miles with Ryan in 1° temps + 5.4 on the TM)

Spacityrunner (3.3 trail miles with a new neighborhood friend)

Falconfixer (7 miles with an operations counterpart, including 3X800 in the low 4s in temps in the 30s)

Wildchild (2 miles on pavement, not trails)

Tammy (6.2 miles in some sun)

Welcome, Analogkid, and welcome back, Lamerunner! I hope you both will stick around and post often.

BTY, any run (or walk or other workout) is worth posting, and any discussion welcomes your input, so don't be a stranger! And CONGRATS on being a great uncle again!

A lot of interesting comments about the pros and cons of electric cars yesterday. Nice acquisition by your DH, KSA!

Great stories, Fatozzig! I'll bet everyone here has a few along those lines...

I'm sorry about the injuries, ailments, Mariposai and Evanflein, but I am glad you are both being mindful in an effort to speed recovery. Evanflein, I have a stretchy ankle brace I wear when my ankle gets wonky, and it always helps. Of course, I have no idea if you and are dealing with the same issue...

No workout for me today. It snowed a bit yesterday, and the road shoulders are still covered enough to be slick - plus it is 0° and I can't just meander along in those temps - plus our weekend guests arrived last evening, and it wasn't an early night, and we're all going to our favorite dive for breakfast this morning, and it's my job to wake up the 2 girls who don't like to be woken up before they're ready to get up.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Gggggood mmmmmorning--iiit iiiis ffffffourteen bbbbbellow, ooooutsssside aaaand I hhhhhave tttttto gggggggo tttttto ththththe aaaaaalumni rrrrrrun.  Mmmmmy ttttteeth aaaaare aaaalready chchchchattering jjjjust ththththinking aaaaabout iiiit.

Ssssssee yyyyyyya!

Dave59

I ran 3.15 at the park this morning. It was up to 25° so I was off the treadmill and back outside. It felt good to be back out there.

I made my goal to 100 miles this month and ended the month on a prime number (103). Double win.

I ran pretty early and it was still dark out when I was leaving. As I started the car and began to drive away, bright lights appeared in my mirror. I didn't see a car arriving and when I looked around I couldn't see anyone. It freaked me out for about 5 to 10 seconds before I realized I had left my headlamp on and that was the lights in the mirror.

Analogkid//.........for what it's worth,

I actually did

a Work-Out in a HailStorm and tet got me off with An Insanity Defense.......

but

that was when I had Hips

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Gggggood mmmmmorning--iiit iiiis ffffffourteen bbbbbellow, ooooutsssside aaaand I hhhhhave tttttto gggggggo tttttto ththththe aaaaaalumni rrrrrrun.  Mmmmmy ttttteeth aaaaare aaaalready chchchchattering jjjjust ththththinking aaaaabout iiiit.

Ssssssee yyyyyyya!

You're either really brave, or really crazy!   It's -7° with a 15 mph wind out of the NW making the wind chill -35 below. I'm a wimp. Back on the treadmill at the Y <sigh>  No end in sight to this weather for another week or so. Like DH always says, "it shouldn't hurt to go outside"

Too many folks on the DL here lately. Please take care and get better.

Welcome Analogkid - this is a great group of folks. I think you'll like it here.

Tom, your posts are the highlight of my day

Poor DS#2, who drives over the road for a national trucking company, called last night. He said the traffic on I-95 near Chicago was going 35 mph because of the weather conditions. It took him 4 hours to go around 150 miles.

I never thought I'd say this, but it is SO cold outside, I'm actually looking forward to doing laundry and cleaning today.

Stay warm people!

We had a "warm up" here in middle Tennessee.  It was 31 degrees this morning, but is about to drop dramatically.  I got out in the gloom and managed 8.1 miles.  The year is winding down.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

...still felt like the 20s with the WindChill.........

50-min HH with hills

.............godd Running to Ya....

an amazing likeness

Reader comment on an article in today's local paper about Runners out the sub-zero temps...

"Even a car knows enough not to run in extreme cold and they have no brain."

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Henrun

A “warmer” 13. No running but we did a lot of walking errands in town . Will go out again later. Planning a low key New Year’s Eve get together with Marj’s DS and family. Lots of ethnic goodies. Tried to pickup caviar at theRussian grocery but it was packed. Will try again early tomorrow.

Mike-bold or crazy. I vote for the latter (not professionally speaking😁).

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

We had a great time at the alumni run and breakfast.  There were many more people for breakfast than the run.  I can't blame them.  -14o with an 11 mph wind was pretty cold.  But, those of us who did run, had a great time.  I started out with a group of 8, including Ryan, until he and 3 others went back to the school after about 5 miles.  The other 3 and I went a total of 8.  Except for when we ran into the wind, it really was not all that bad.  I think the most fun I had, though, was watching the head coach mingle with all of his past runners at the restaurant.  He was just beaming.

This was just posted on Facebook.  I'm the little one on the right...

Image may contain: one or more people, sky, snow, outdoor and closeup

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

...notice the cars

looking Smug in the background,,,,,,,,,,maybe they ARE smarter'n us......

Quickadder

Reader comment on an article in today's local paper about Runners out the sub-zero temps...

"Even a car knows enough not to run in extreme cold and they have no brain."

That made me laugh. 🚙🧠☃️

A very pleasant 52F for my LR this morning. Ran several miles with other members of the running group and then some more. Finished with 20 miles at 9:35 pace.

9:35 happens to be my goal MP and I certainly didn’t plan to run 20 at that pace. This month my Saturday long runs have been 18, HM race, 18, 20 & 20 so I think I’m going to be ready for my marathon on 4th March.

Now just 9.7 more miles needed to hit my target of 1500 for the year and DD wants me to join her for a trail run tomorrow, so I may be able to catch the pace bunny in the woods.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Mike E that first post of yours might be in the running for funniest post of 2017. Your second post spares me from having the most insane run of the day. Good thing you are on this forum!

milktruck I hope my DW does not see that post of yours!

I was worried I would easily win the insane run of the day award. But thanks to Mike E I am not even close! On the other hand, I probably have second place nailed down pretty handily. It is below 20 out and snowing. I am not running outside in these conditions. It is, I think somewhat dangerous at the moment with roads covered in hidden ice. Plan B. I put the first movie from the Lord of the Rings trilogy into the DVR. Turned it on and ran until it finished. That is a loooooong movie! Made it 18 miles, which was the distance I had planned for an outdoor run. I think this is a new TM record for me. One I hope never to break!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

bioguy

Slogged through 8 today; really was not feeling good. On the upside, it was sunnier and less wind. Her in Maryland we are not going to see above 00C until next week. I certainly admire those of you getting out in sub zero. I think the coldest I've ever run in was in the single digits.

Tailwinds!

Mike E

MM #5615

I was worried I would easily win the insane run of the day award. But thanks to Mike E I am not even close!

Made it 18 miles, which was the distance I had planned for an outdoor run. I think this is a new TM record for me. One I hope never to break!

You win!