Masters Running

THE WEEKLY RUN & X-TRAINING GROUP W/E DEC 14TH (Read 437 times)

Dutchie42

Fattozig: I had a pair of uncustomised 2130 insoles that I put in the shoes. Everytime my foot hurt, I laid off of the running for approx. a week. Maybe that's too short, but everytime I started running again my foot was fine, no pain, nothing. I've been sticking to short distances. I'm now trying the TM running and see if a softer surface will help. Plus, as soon as I feel anything I can just hop off and that's it instead of having to make it home in pain for another X kilometers. Besides, this week is a bad week for running for me. The extra rest might do my foot some good. At least, that's what I tell myself Wink

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dutchie42

Think I found out what my foot pain is (with thanks to another runner with the same problem on another running forum): The Peroneus Brevis muscle helps you go up on your toes (plantar flexion) and also pulls the outside of the foot upwards (eversion). Its tendon attaches to the fifth metatarsal (below my little toe) on the outside of the foot. This muscle can get very tight in runners especially those who run a lot on roads. So I gather it's a form of tendonitis, right? Treatment: ice when it's painful. Sports massages and stretches when it's not painful

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

dg.

Think I found out what my foot pain is (with thanks to another runner with the same problem on another running forum): The Peroneus Brevis muscle helps you go up on your toes (plantar flexion) and also pulls the outside of the foot upwards (eversion). Its tendon attaches to the fifth metatarsal (below my little toe) on the outside of the foot. This muscle can get very tight in runners especially those who run a lot on roads. So I gather it's a form of tendonitis, right? .. yep. Treatment: ice when it's painful. Sports massages and stretches when it's not painful.l
        I was just going to mention that! should've before, sorry. I had the same thing a few weeks ago, but I was thinking you meant closer up to the 'toe' part of the toe... where this attaches makes it seem more like midfoot. i'd meant to ask which movements hurt it. (also, turning your foot out to the side when it's flexed?) sorry, i've been behind. i'm a bum. Mine came at a time i needed to cut back for other things, so it's one of the very few things i've nipped in the bud. Was really bad initially... happened toward the end of a LR & I could barely walk back to the car. here's what Ben Benjamin says ... stop strenuous activity immediately, use ice therapy. (I know, no news there) he recommends a corticosteroid injection if it's the brevis instead of the longus if it's chronic, & yours is starting to sound like that. suggestion is that if it lasts more than a few weeks, to get medical treatment. since working back gradually hasn't done it, maybe you should see somebody??? Is your doctor back? there are some exercises in here too i can tell you if you'd like.
        dg.

Deb, yes I did ramp up pretty quick, but I was at 50+ mpw just back in August so I'm counting on some residual "memory" in the ol' legs to see me thru. Hope it works. I just don't have time to fiddle around now with my next marathon on Jan. 11... but of course I want to get to it in good shape and uninjured! So, it's a fine balancing act and I'll cut back the minute I feel the need. I only have time for a 2-week taper as it is, so I hope it works! Eliz, you've GOT to find some time to carve out for yourself! You're running on fumes, girl!
          really you will??? i know it's a balancing act. I was thinking about how close your marathon is. & isn't your DH running this with you... is it the half? that's so cool. but... just back in August? oh... what do I know. not much. I'll be quiet... I just so much don't want to see you down & out again. Eliz... I agree with Erika. pretty crazy schedule you have. Dutchie.. re the DVT.... yikes. Did you find anything about prevention?