Masters Running

Tooseday's Daily, 3.21.17 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Monday’s monumental workouts:
    RunnerKSA (3.2 semi-dark, pre-work miles)
    Twocat (morning gym work)
    Tramps (EZ 6 sunny morning miles)
    C-R (2 recovery miles)
    Holly (36 laps/900 yards in the pool)
    Tomwhite (50 min HH on GreenWay/2 lb weights)
    Catwhoorg (5 slow miles)
    Henry (3.2 slow sunny, knee-improving miles)
    Evanflein (31 minutes/10 lap [to 55 ft. marker] with deep-end circles)
    BerthaSlayer (happily running 5 miles with DH [who I hope is OK])
    Mike (10 miles with 6X1 ‘strength’ sets with ¼ mile recoveries - hard work)

So, how many rubber duckies do you have, RunnerKSA?

Twocat, an investment in a power drill would be money very well-spent.

Interesting discussions about happiness. The article that I read (on the BBC site) said they asked people to imagine themselves on a 10-rung ladder, with the top rung representing the happiest they could imagine being, and the bottom representing the most miserable. Then they were asked which rung they thought they are on. Yes, there are many ways to define and calculate happiness, and who knows which is the most accurate or reasonable? However, I do think that Enke is on to something that makes sense when she described the situation in Canada.

Sounds like you’ve got some great races coming up, Tammy.

I’ve never seen a black-headed, white winged & backed bird, Holly, but it sounds very interesting.

Dave, I have a healthy suspicion of surveys/polls about most anything: The first thing I wonder about is exactly what questions were asked of what demographics of people, and/or what info was used to arrive at the conclusions? Sorry about your and Cindy’s lack of sleep, and congrats on the new donut place.

Congrats on getting out for a run, Henry, and on staying out of the ‘happiness’ discussion.

Leave it to Tet to discuss the artificiality of a city’s location relative to the Spring solstice. I wouldn’t have thought of that. And thanks for the clarifications, Catwhoorg.

Well said, Steve!

There will be no Jay appreciation anything - he gets all the appreciation he needs, and we don't want him to get a big head. However, it was a Jay Appreciation Year, the acronym would be his name.

Tramps, (thanks for asking) we did pretty well with our FDA visit. We have to modify some of our record keeping for products that are returned because what was or was perceived to be a product failure, but that was about it. And, thankfully, those situations are pretty rare. So we fared a lot better with that visit than we feared.

5.7 RW miles this morning in 34° temps with about half a moon still high in the sky. 3.7 of those miles were in the 11s, and it was the first time I've been able to go under 12:00 for that much distance since last Oct., so I'm making some progress. But I still don't think the damnstring is 100% yet, so I'm still mindful of it on every workout, and am stretching it well morning and night.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...dave//...if you haven't read it,

the Original Psycho-Cybernetics (1960)  is pretty amazing at explaining Happiness from a Scientific Point Of View

https://www.amazon.com/Psycho-Cybernetics-Maxwell-Maltz/dp/0671221507/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490101675&sr=8-3&keywords=psycho+cybernetics+by+maxwell+maltz

...my own interpretation

is from a Famous Runner (Abraham Lincoln)

''Most people are as Happy as they make up their minds to be''

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

3.6 before work.  59 degrees and pretty nice.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

There will be no Jay appreciation anything - he gets all the appreciation he needs, and we don't want him to get a big head.

Too late.  I made a cake.

It's chocolate with Cool Whip ®.  Breakfast of champions.

Interesting happiness comments yesterday.  I especially liked Enke's take.  Leave it to a Canadian to come up with a sensible common sense analysis. The "security" comments also reminded me of FDR's  "Four Freedoms"--freedom of speech and worship; freedom from want and fear. Mixed track record, at best, on these lately.

Enke--you don't need internet to use a simple trail/game camera, some of which are very cheap now. You won't stop them, but you might get a look later on at what's happening.  Weatherproof, too.

Holly--cool bird siting.

Dave--step away from the donuts...today, there's cake!  I don't have cable but did watch the original "Planet Earth" on DVD.  Awesome.

Henry--yay on the knee improvement!

Our Great Blue Herons are beginning to make their annual return to a heronry a couple miles from my house.  Always an impressive sight and a sure sign that Spring's here.

Tax time.  Some of you work preparing taxes, as I recall.  You might find this article interesting.  Apparently H&R Block and Intuit (TurboTax) spent a few million dollars last year making sure the government didn't offer free and easy to use tax returns.  Sigh.

8.7 miles on the hills route.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

...my own interpretation

is from a Famous Runner (Abraham Lincoln)

''Most people are as Happy as they make up their minds to be''

That's ironic. A quote from Lincoln on being happy.  As Wikipedia says, "Lincoln was contemporaneously described as suffering from 'melancholy,' a condition which modern mental health professionals would characterize as clinical depression."

I am in day 3 of not feeling too good so it's another rest day. (Head & chest congestion, sore throat, tired, etc.).

...I agree dave,

but I've always liked that quote, given what he went thru

Tramps

Be safe. Be kind.

Love the cake Tramps!! YAY JAY appreciation day!!

Love my Toosedays!!  Swim 6-7am, computraining 9:30-10:30 -- we did high cadence intervals with slow cadence strength intervals mixed in. Then 1.5 miles on the treadmill -- no pain, but still not as smooth as it should be so I think I will keep my MRI scheduled for Thursday. Going to see the PT this afternoon and will get her opinion as well!!

Happy Tooseday my friends -- I choose to be happy despite the difficulties in life!!

denise

catwhoorg

Labrat

Love the cake.

5 miles for me, a different route, trying to find some new shaded places to run for the summer heat.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

this quote has always spoken to me.  Gibberish mostly, but spoken, nonetheless.

Sorry.

In an effort to stump Jay, I will post today's run today.  4 miles around the lake.  Temps were a little tricky as they were JUST over freezing, so not all the black ice from yesterday's melting had dissappated.  Guess it helped to make me pay full attention.  Run felt fast(ish), but not hard.  Time reflected it.  When i hit mid 8's last week it felt both--i MAY be getting closer to figuring out the feel for pace.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

....Nice One tramps//.........I think that's our First ''Gott'cha'' of the Year....

========

as another Famous Runner

(Claire)

once said-

''Is That Your Nose, or are you Eating A Banana??'

....sorry, that line always cracks me up.....

70s here,,,,,,going to see my CrazyBrother in Idaho first of May

so

1 1/2 hours practicing my FlyCasts

THEN

40-min PoolRun

nb,cf,ris,paw

..........good running guys.............and that's a Quote from me..........

I am in day 3 of not feeling too good so it's another rest day. (Head & chest congestion, sore throat, tired, etc.).

< Pitty Pot Rant >

I am in day 7 of not feeling too good. After missing two days of work last week, I went back yesterday. Now I feel like I'm back to where I started. Plus, I got a cortisone injection in the bottom of my left foot last Friday. Don't know if any of you have had that wonderful experience, but oh my gosh! Did that hurt! And Doc says "no pounding - and that includes the elliptical - for at least two weeks." I feel like an old nag ready for the glue factory

On a happier note, I've enjoyed reading the daily and the topics have been wonderful. I'm thinking about moving to Norway, the happiest place on earth. Funny how the US has dropped to #14 on the list...

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps -

Jlynne - is that anything like the palette shots at the dentist?

4.3 miles on the TM for me this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

....Nice One tramps//.........I think that's our First ''Gott'cha'' of the Year....

No, no, no.  I didn't mean it as a "got'cha."

Now I feel bad.

I'm gonna have another piece of cake.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

One of DAve's donuts might help you feel better, too.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.