NYC Marathon runners

Welcome! (Read 484 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

NYCM hopefuls, welcome. I was a lottery loser last year. Whether you are in the lottery, guaranteed entry, or have run it previously, this is the place for discussion on this year's race.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Mishka-old log

Best of luck in the lottery. I'm trying for a 1/2 marathon qualifier in mid-March. If I miss, I'm in the lottery too.

Master of Inconsistency

Just entered the lottery myself, I tried and failed to get in 2006 , was running too inconsistently last year to try. I'm running my first marathon this May,4 th in New Jersey,so hopefully NYC will be my 2nd. Wink Greg

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !

Hoping my # comes up this year...Good luck to everyone.
          And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine
          Mishka-old log

Hoping my # comes up this year...Good luck to everyone.
            Jeff, You were 26 seconds from qualifying on time last year. If you run a 1:23 before May 1, you get a guaranteed entry? Is it possible for you to get that time by then?
              I wasn't aware of guaranteed entry...thank you. Hard to find a race in MN. Do you know what the marathon qualifying time would be? I have Boston on the 21st...
              And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine

My legs are killing me

I'm hoping my luck in this lottery is better than my luck in Powerball. It couldn't be much worse. Big grin Good luck to everyone hoping to get in.
                Mishka-old log

I wasn't aware of guaranteed entry...thank you. Hard to find a race in MN. Do you know what the marathon qualifying time would be? I have Boston on the 21st...
                  2:55. Entry details here. Good luck at Boston! Do you think you have a shot at 2:55 there? MTA: Some race directors are flexible with qualifying standards if you beg hard enough. Given that you're within 26 seconds on the 1/2 marathon time, they might let you in.
                    New to this group. Missed out on the lottery in 2005 and 2007. Got in by lottery in 2006. Don't figure I have any shot this year since I live in NY and it seems that NYRR want a certain percentage of runners from all over the country and world. So since most of the NY state slots are taken up by NYRR members that doesn't leave to many lottery spots for NYer's. Interesting to note that more foreigners run the NYC marathon versus Americans... However, if I want to definitely get in in 2010, I need to continue my streak of misses. I will probably be signing up for Chicago as a backup marathon. Then depending on weather I will treat either Chi or NYC as goal race. (i.e. if its 20F or 90F in Chicago and I get into NY then I'll treat Chicago as a long run). Running Boston on 4/21, would love to get the auto qual time but no where near it. Also, I don't think NYRR is lenient about times since they get about 100,000 people trying to get in the race and only allow about 50,000 slots.
                      Thanks for your help Mishka!!...I would be a slightly disappointed with 2:55 right now, but always happy to finish a race.
                      Worsel

New to this group. Missed out on the lottery in 2005 and 2007. Got in by lottery in 2006. Don't figure I have any shot this year since I live in NY and it seems that NYRR want a certain percentage of runners from all over the country and world. So since most of the NY state slots are taken up by NYRR members that doesn't leave to many lottery spots for NYer's. Interesting to note that more foreigners run the NYC marathon versus Americans... However, if I want to definitely get in in 2010, I need to continue my streak of misses. I will probably be signing up for Chicago as a backup marathon. Then depending on weather I will treat either Chi or NYC as goal race. (i.e. if its 20F or 90F in Chicago and I get into NY then I'll treat Chicago as a long run). Running Boston on 4/21, would love to get the auto qual time but no where near it. Also, I don't think NYRR is lenient about times since they get about 100,000 people trying to get in the race and only allow about 50,000 slots.
                        if you join the nyrr and run 9 of their races you are g'teed entry to the following year's marathon. i'm in the lottery too this year, having missed out in 06 and 07. if i don't get lucky this year i think i will probably try for one of those charity slots.

Master of Inconsistency

Worsel, I believe if you don't win the lottery 3 years in a row you are guaranteed for the next year. Check the website !

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !

Hello all. I entered the lottery last year and lost. Then I managed a guaranteed entry time at a HM last fall so I am running the NYCM this year! I hope the weather is as good in 2008 for the race as it was in 2007.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Anyone have pizza?

Worsel, an added change. One now must complete 9 races, and volunteer to help out in another one for a guaranteed entry the following year......Looks like I'll be handing out cups, or collecting chips! Smile
                                New member of this group - I just joined. Not in the hunt for this year, but I'm working on the 9 qualifying races and 1 volunteer race for the 2009 entry. I'm just curious - what are the odds of succeeding in the lottery currently? It seems from what I've seen in the last couple of years, if you aren't travelling from overseas, qualify via the NYRR qualifying races or run for charity, your odds are pretty low, which must be really frustrating.