NYC Marathon runners

Welcome! (Read 484 times)

tgoutzie

Hi everyone, I have just entered into the lottery. Just a question for those in the know. What chance do overseas runners (I'm from Australia) have of getting a gig into the Marathon this year? If I don't get in I won't be that disappointed as my aim is to do New York in the next 3-4 years. The previous post mentioned that is you miss out on the lottery three years running you are guaranteed in the fourth year. The other options of getting guaranteed entry are too difficult (joining a charity group) and too expensive (paying a sports travel company here in Australia) top dollar for entry/accommodation/flights. I imagine you folks living in the States have a better chance of getting in. Good luck to those you have entered into the lottery. Cheers/Theo
    mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Hi all - Hoping to get in as a lottery applicant this year. If not, next year is an automatic thanks to the consecutive rejections rule. Sure hope that I get in, as I hear there's nothing like NY. Did I mention this will also be my first marathon? I'm trying to make the jump from being an occasional 5K runner last year to a more consistent (and hopefully thinner and healthier) runner this year. As an aside, I've got a backup plan or three in case I don't get in. If not New York, then either Hartford, Newport (RI), or Cape Cod. Right now I'm leaning away from Hartford (too many lonely highways) and Cape Cod (heard LOTS of hills on that course) but I'm not deciding yet.... By the way, a little help please - I notice many using the abbreviation HTFU (HFTU?). What does this mean? Confused Thanks - Hope to see you all in NY! Michael

My legs are killing me

Hi Michael, Good luck on getting in this year. The term htfu stands for "harden the f#ck up". It took me a little while to figure that one out to.
        mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Thanks! Sounds like a good motto, and one of the reasons I started running again! Got to get myself out of that Clydesdale division. With my build I don't belong there.