Pickens County Y Race Team

NOLA 70.3 training group (Read 10 times)

pschriver

Looks like my 20 wk training plan will start on Nov 24. Looks like I will be able to eat anything I want for Thanksgiving this year

Be sure to share Smile although ur workouts may be too hard for me I may have to modify-

Lori

Are they still having swims on  Saturday? I haven't been in a while

Lori

pschriver

My understanding is yes. I haven't been for a while either.

On the express bike i rode at the y Saturday it said myaverage wattage was like 120. Is that good or bad ? What should I be working towards ?  I only did like seven miles but it felt like 50 and like I was dying .

Lori

pschriver

The average watts for an entire ride doesn't mean much but I would say 120 isn't bad. You have to remember that to really use the watts for comparison you have to factor in weight. watts/Kg. For me, 120w/100Kg=1.2 would be pitiful. 2.0-2.5 is an average cyclist and 4+ is elite. But that is also the average power over a 40k time trial (1 hour) and doesn't include the warm-up or cool down. I think those machines will do a power test (FTP) but I haven't looked at them that closely. Once you figure out your FTP it becomes a lot easier to figure out how to get the most out of your work-outs instead of just randomly spinning.

So mine would be 120/52kg = 2.3. I guess that's average maybe but I felt like I was working harder than as if I had been riding outside

Lori

pschriver

Trainer riding is definitely harder than riding outside. There is no coasting or downhill. That is part of the reason it helps to have a plan when you get on the trainer. It makes the time pass faster and you make yourself hit defined targets while followed by rest periods. It will make you much stronger on your outside rides.

Noticing that riding  the express bike, I'm not logging as many miles but I am going for the amount of time that the training plan suggests. Hope that's not a bad thing  bc it feels like so hard.  Also, my run times after the express bike aren't quite as fast as if I had ridden outside.

Lori

pschriver

The distance on a trainer is nothing to worry about. The time and effort is the most important. I wouldn't worry about the speed either. It is just not accurate on a trainer.

What would be zone 1-2 HR range?

Lori

pschriver

What would be zone 1-2 HR range?

First question is do you have a HR monitor? If you do, then you will need to calculate you Lactate Threshold with a field test and plug the results into a formula.

If you don't have a HR monitor, you can use RPE (Rated Perceived Exertion). Zone 1 is incredibly easy and you can go for hours. Zone 2 is slightly more intense but you can still carry on a conversation

RPE/HR Zone Chart

Z1 - Zone 1 or Recovery
                          Z2 - Zone 2 or Extensive endurance
                          Z3 - Zone 3 or Intensive endurance/muscular endurance
                          Z4 - Zone 4 or Sub-threshold
                          Z5a - Zone 5a or Threshold
                          Z5b- Zone 5b or Super-threshold
                          Z5c- Zone 5b or VO2 Max

RPE Zone  HR Zone Description
                          0  Z1 Complete Rest
                          1  Z1 Very easy; light walking
                          2  Z1 Very easy; light walking
                          3  Z1 Very easy; walking
                          4  Z1 Still easy, maybe starting to sweat
                          5  Z2 Starting to work just a little and you can feel your HR rise
                          6  Z2 Upper Working but sustainable, able to talk in full sentences
                          7  Z3 Strong effort; breathing labored, but can still maintain pace for some minutes without slowing.
                          8  Z4 Olympic Distance Race Pace for MOP to FOP
                          9  Z5 10k effort – very hard
                          10  Z5+ Z5+ = 5k effort and Z5++ = cannot hold effort for more than a minute or two. (almost maximal effort)
                          pschriver

And if you have a HR monitor and wore it during the Turkey Trot, send me the file and I can calculate your zones for you.

I don't but riding the bike today I was avg 115-130 and able to talk however it didn't feel like I could go for hours. The plan stated to ride 75 min c hr zone 1-2.  Just wondering if I'm going too hard, my resting hr is usually in the 50s

Lori

pschriver

Your resting heart rate and "Max" heart rate will not help you predict your zones. You really need to find your lactate threshold. If you got a video with your trainer, it usually has a work-out to calculate your threshold. If you didn't get a video, you can borrow one of mine. I will bring it to work tomorrow. The threshold test HURT. Also your run threshold and bike threshold values are usually different. The indoor trainer and outdoor road rides are also slightly different.

When I get a 75 minute Z1-2 bike workout, I put in a 1:20 Spinnerval video that is an aerobic base builder and gets me to the same goal. 75 minutes of continuous, mindless Z1-2 is probably not an efficient way to spend on trainer time. It would be fine outdoors but not inside. IMHO