Pickens County Y Race Team

Pickens Azelea Fest (Read 58 times)

pschriver

Anyone running in the 5-k this weekend? The run is going to be at the new Pickens HS track and apparently a lot less hilly than the previous course.

tweisner

Runnining the PC YMCA Spring Fever 10K and my kids are running the 5K.

- itri - 

pschriver

I got the e-mail about Easley race today. I wasn't planning on doing either but have been asked about the Pickens race multiple times in the last few days. I would do the Easley race to support the Y and the race team.

Saving my knees for the duathlon the following weekend... Good luck to all!
          tweisner

Check out what happened Saturday between a couple of race teamers, Doug Thompson and Tony Sorrells, at the Azalea Festival:

I was in 1st place by 50-70 meters with about 1/2 mile to go. The last big turn was not marked so I continued to run straight. Tony was in 3rd and yelled when he realized I missed the turn. He crossed the finish line first and was followed by the runner that was between us all along. I crossed the line 3rd.

Tony went to the race officials and told them that the turn was not clearly marked and that I had the lead. I did not know until they announced my name that he asked them to award me first place.

The results:

http://assets.racesonline.com.<wbr>s3.amazonaws.com/assets/8211/<wbr>results/<wbr>f7caebc4d417a44fd0f4cfbc1fd0cf<wbr>efe168a937.pdf

- itri - 

pschriver

That was an honorable move by Tony. I wasn't involved with the race this year. The race has a lot of potential but poorly marked turns are unacceptable. FWIW, anyone who can stay in front of Tony is pretty fast.

Traci did you do the azalea fest run?

How was Anderson sprint btw?

Lori

tweisner

I didn't do Azalea 5K or Anderson tri.  Haven't ran since March 24.

Doug told me about the 5K race.  Yeah, that was really great of Tony.

Mike Russel did Anderson Tri.  He said it was good.  I think about 100 people or so did it.

Anyone doing Clemson this year?  Or does it interfere with other races?

- itri - 

pschriver

Clemson is the week before Chattanooga so its out for me

Im not either however tempting it may be... but I think Cindy is thinking about it.  I take it your injury is rearing its ugly head again?  Sad

Lori

tweisner

So actually, Tony did want first place, since he did cross the finish line first, in the posted results.  He just didn't want the other guy to miss out on his prize. Lol

As Tony said "...he was 20 seconds in front of me and missed the last turn up Garvin Street.  I did not want to cheat him out of his prize.  They should be giving me the technical win for record because I crossed the line first…"

There ya go.  A win is a win.

- itri - 

pschriver

A lot could have happened up that last hill. Tony must be extremely frustrated. The Doodle Trail race will be better

when is the Doodle trail race?  is this the half marathon one?

pschriver

The Doodle Trail 5k is July 18th. http://go-greenevents.com/event/id/4504

It will be on the new trail and is a much better course. I have received great support from the city of Pickens. It will be on a certified course and is flat enough for PR potential. I am expecting to have a pancake breakfast for runners after the race.

The half marathon is a whole different story. Putting on an event that large is a huge undertaking. There is also a lot of competition for runners. It won't happen in 2016 but maybe 2017. If we do it, it must be done right. We need at least one major sponsor and a talented race director.