Pickens County Y Race Team

2/20/2 Duathlon Feb. (Read 5 times)

pschriver

SetUp Duathlon

I was automatically signed up for this race since it was canceled last year  due to snow. I don't feel ready but will do it anyway. I'm really dreading the second run. I did the race 2 years ago and did pretty well but this year I am just not ready

If I can find someone to work half a day for me I will do it, however it is in valentines day so that might be hard.

Lori

tweisner

SetUp Duathlon

I was automatically signed up for this race since it was canceled last year  due to snow. I don't feel ready but will do it anyway. I'm really dreading the second run. I did the race 2 years ago and did pretty well but this year I am just not ready

You will do great.  Looks like a good turn out for it.  I'll be at Green Valley.  I'm doing the 10 miler.

- itri - 

tweisner

SetUp Duathlon

I'm already looking at the overnight/early morning temps for Friday into Saturday morning.  It's bad enough running in the 20s.  I can't imagine riding a bike in that temperature.

- itri - 

pschriver

I've done it before. Today was blessed. You have to take the good with the bad. The bad makes you stronger and appreciate the good more

I miss quite a few things about South Carolina.  I definitely miss you guys and the YRT.  But I can't tell you how much I appreciate the winter weather here.  Like Peter said...  spending 6 winters there (bad) has made me really appreciate FL winter (good).  But I'm sure someone from Michigan would love SC winters!

pschriver

I don't want to give you more things to miss about SC but we have good things happening here. We were blessed with>60 degree weather yesterday. T and I enjoyed a nice ride through the mountains. The terrain and foliage, which includes trees that are not pines or palms, makes up for the few frigid days. Our 9 mile rails to trail is going to be completed shortly and hopefully a world class 1/2 marathon will be held on it. It's not Disney yet but it's home

tweisner

I miss quite a few things about South Carolina.  I definitely miss you guys and the YRT.  But I can't tell you how much I appreciate the winter weather here.  Like Peter said...  spending 6 winters there (bad) has made me really appreciate FL winter (good).  But I'm sure someone from Michigan would love SC winters!

We miss you too, Josh.  Winters here are not bad.  But I know what you mean.  Listening to the news tonight I was thankful I am not where is is below 0.  I'm not sure I could survive there.  I freeze in my house with the heat on 67.  I don't like cold weather.  But it is funny how I can brave the cold to run.  But not want to step foot out of the house when it is really cold for anything else.  I mentioned that I might not go out of the house Saturday into Sunday as the low is 18 Saturday night.  Chad said "I thought you were running Saturday morning."  I said, " Oh yes, I am.  I meant after I get done running I might not go anywhere else."

We ran the morning it was 15 degrees.  And had a great time.  We ran 4 miles.  I had on 2 pairs of pants, 3 top layers, 2 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of gloves, ear warmers and a hat.

However, you would have to pay me a lot of money to do that 2/20/2 duathlon Saturday morning.  Go Peter.

- itri - 

I'm totally with you on that Traci , I freeze most of the time and if it's not 75 outside , I'm cold. If I was doing the duathalon I would look like Michelin Man due to bundling up so much!  You are lucky to live where you do josh but I still wouldn't trade SC for anywhere else !

Lori

pschriver

Seriously,

You don't have to swim so you start in warm comfortable clothes. By the time you get on the bike your core temp is really warm. By the last run you are hot, sweaty and in need of shedding a layer. It is not that bad (I keep telling myself)

I don't want to give you more things to miss about SC but we have good things happening here. We were blessed with>60 degree weather yesterday. T and I enjoyed a nice ride through the mountains. The terrain and foliage, which includes trees that are not pines or palms, makes up for the few frigid days. Our 9 mile rails to trail is going to be completed shortly and hopefully a world class 1/2 marathon will be held on it. It's not Disney yet but it's home

I think I just had a tougher time with winter there because I had always lived in FL prior to that, so I just wasn't used to it.  Plus most people work inside, so the cold has little effect.  I had before school duty outside at Gettys every morning at 7:30 am and I also spend a lot of the day outside as a PE teacher.  I'm guessing you don't have car duty outside at the hospital every morning.

And I wasn't saying FL is better than SC.

Good luck at the duathlon!

Let me calculate you wind chill for you:

28 degree air temp.... you riding at a max speed of around 15 mph....  wind chill: 9

tweisner

I think I just had a tougher time with winter there because I had always lived in FL prior to that, so I just wasn't used to it.  Plus most people work inside, so the cold has little effect.  I had before school duty outside at Gettys every morning at 7:30 am and I also spend a lot of the day outside as a PE teacher.  I'm guessing you don't have car duty outside at the hospital every morning.

And I wasn't saying FL is better than SC.

Good luck at the duathlon!

Let me calculate you wind chill for you:

28 degree air temp.... you riding at a max speed of around 15 mph....  wind chill: 9

Lol, Yes, Jon and Daniel are the same way.  We were just talking about that running the other day.  How with the temps being 65 in Florida and people have out blankets and sweatshirts.  And 65 degrees here brings out shorts and tee shirts.

I do car line at my work in the morning and the afternoons.  Sometimes I look like the Michelin man.

Oddly though, sometimes I find the cold to be somewhat refreshing.  I am mentally getting prepared for my run tomorrow morning.  If I wimped out, I would regret it for days.  And I would see pictures of my friends who didn't wimp out.  That's one thing I like about YRT.  I have friends who push me beyond what I could do on my own.  Sometimes they don't even know they do that.  There is something so inspiring about people doing things a midst adverse conditions.  sorta like - if it was easy everyone would do it - kinda thing.

Every job has it challenges.  One job requires car line and being outdoors in cold weather.  And one job requires colonoscopies and hemorrhoid surgery.  Mine requires dealing with parents of young children.  And dealing with all women employees.  Pick your poison and we are all grateful for the role we each play in life.

- itri - 

pschriver

Last time I did the race it was 35 degrees and I averaged 19 mph on a hilly course. Top speed was just under 40 mph. I was too skinny to race as a Clydesdale and placed 2nd in AG. This year I'm fat enough to race as a Clydesdale

Peter, congrats on your podium finish! 3rd Place in your division.

I hope my "15 mph" joke gave you some motivation!

pschriver

Peter, congrats on your podium finish! 3rd Place in your division.

I hope my "15 mph" joke gave you some motivation!

I'm just thankful we live in America where you can be overweight and still get awards for participating. I received a bennie I didn't deserve. I placed legit AG last year and plan to do the same later this year