The Postfontaine Project

January digest (Read 3 times)

How was everyone's January? It ended up being my second best month of running since I started on Runningahead, and I feel great. I'm starting to feel like I did a couple years ago while training for the last marathon, which is promising. I'm still sore after runs, but really only after my long ones. I'm no longer gassed after a 5 miler.

It was a weird mix of running in Roatan, Milwaukee and on the track. Roatan was obviously the highlight. I ran 17/31 days this month, so about 58% of the days. I'd like that to be closer to 75%, and that's my goal for February, along with 100 miles (a milestone I haven't come close to in well over a year). I'm 35 miles behind pace to hit 1200 miles this year already, so that's less than a good start. 90 days til the marathon, going to do my best to not slog through it. We'll see.

Jirafe Blanco

It's been a cold, white winter in Saint Paul (reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bticsSYg6Co) I was hoping to average 20/wk and ended with about 55ish total. So fell a bit short there. But I did do some indoor cycling which wasn't recorded, so I still feel like I am pretty good shape.

I have my eyes set on a sub-40 10K for April's 'Get In Gear' -- which is one of my favorite races (I've done every year since I've started). As some old guy next to me at the starting line said: "It is truly the rite of spring"

Right now I am feeling that Ragnar is not only going to be possible, but--I dare say--a fun time.

Highlight of January was probably my trail run (I posted that picture of Charles atop the bluffs) That was a good day.

Lets see, other highlights: -14 degree run. My face still hurts.  I put my face mask down for 5 seconds and it froze in place and I couldn't get it to stretch out again.

Schansberg deserves a RoTW mention but I am too lazy to write that up right now.

Here's to February.

"Hills are the shortcut to success"

floskij

Well my January pretty much sucked, and I don't expect February to be any better.  When it's this cold I don't feel like running before 6:30am or after 10pm, which are pretty much the only times I can run M-F.

That being said, the one 5 or so miler I have been doing on the weekends feels fine.  I am slower than I recall being just a few months ago but I am not completely gassed (poor word choice) which I am happy about.  As long as I can maintain the ability to easily pump out a 5 miler through the end of Feb then I am pretty confident I can bring myself back to those consistent 7-9 milers fairly quick.

5K: 20:37 (5/115 overall)

10K: 42:08 (32/1,048 overall)

HM: 1:34:20 (69/1,659 overall)

FM: 3:28:35

Sounds like we're all planning to tread water until march or so. Let's meet up at the local culvers instead of running

CoolAid_WoMan

CULVERS! YES! We haven't been there this week yet, so I'm down...

January was actually an "ok" month for me, all things considered. It was my second highest month since using Running Ahead and like Schansberg the 1st, I thoroughly enjoyed running in Roatan (much more than Milwaukee!). Even though the treadmill sucks, having a gym membership is going to save my running soul. I don't think I'd be able to do the marathon in May without it...

I still feel like I don't have a base and can barely make it to three miles on the treadmill. Hoping that more consistency in February will alleviate that. My goal for February is 80 miles- about 85% of my planned runs. I'm giving myself a little leeway because IT'S THE WORST FUCKING WINTER EVER! (Sorry for my language Mr. Jirafe). I am 81.5 miles behind my goal of 1200 for the year, but my upcoming long runs for marathon training should close that gap a bit.

I have two more opportunities to PR during this Winter Run Series- the next of which is in a week and a half. I came within a minute this past Sunday, which is pretty encouraging considering my spotty training and the crappy weather. Someday I will sub-25, but it's definitely not an option for this run series...

5K: 29:39

10K: 63:13

HM: 2:16:51

FM: respectable time TBD