The Postfontaine Project

Runners Digest 6/16/14-6/22/14 (Read 4 times)

CoolAid_WoMan

Took a whole week off post Ragnar... probably a dumb idea but whatever.

Monday I did a slow 3 miles to knock the rust off, everything was tight and sore but that's what I get for taking a week off.

Yesterday I did speed work with Team Paws. I ended up doing about a half mile warm up, 6 x 400, and then a half mile cool down. My pace was 7:57/mile for the intervals- which is great for me!

Got a few more runs planned this week including a 9 miler this weekend while we're up north. It's officially Lakefront training season for me and I really want to run that in sub-5 hours. My plan is simple: be more consistent in my training, incorporate strength training a couple times per week, and more carefully monitor my carb loading.

I'm also doing a couple races leading up to Lakefront:

Cudahy Classic- July 27th- 10 miles (maybe...)

Striders Half Marathon- August 23rd

Lake Michigan Trail 20 mile- August 31st

Should be a fun summer of training! What are you guys doing?

5K: 29:39

10K: 63:13

HM: 2:16:51

FM: respectable time TBD

Jirafe Blanco

I really wanted to train for speed all summer. Instead I got roped into an ultra ragnar, a 50k and another ragnar. I think im going to run easy milage, but as much as I can handle over the next 2.5 weeks then taper into the 50k. But not a super hard taper, because I don't think my build-up will be that huge.

After the 50k (like 2-4 weeks after) I'm going straight into 5k training. Going to set my sights on a 18:38.468160000000125. Which I am told is precisely a 6 minute per mile pace.

As for training I think I will try to keep up with 10-15 mile long runs, one tempo and one speed session (400s, 800s or miles) each week. Which is basically what I have been doing. BUT I am going to add strides (4-6) to every easy run AND I am going to work hill repeats of some type into my training. Hopefully by September or October I will be able to hit my goal. But I really have no idea.

"Hills are the shortcut to success"

Jirafe Blanco

Good weekend of running. Saw a couple buddies from my old college cross country/track team and pounded out about 15 with them on Friday. Easy 6 on Saturday. Came home and did another 6 (with about 7 strides in the middle). Tomorrow I am going down to Red Wing and might do some bluff running. We'll see.

"Hills are the shortcut to success"

CoolAid_WoMan

I covered all the mileage I wanted to last week even though I skipped my Thursday run. Training should be flexible right?

Felt a lot better on my 9 mile run Saturday than I expected to and went a lot faster than I thought too- all good things!

I've strung together a solid week of running now and also started that 30 Day Ab Challenge thing that was all the rage on the Facebook this month. In addition to the core work I'm also doing squats and pushups. Between that little bit of strength work and the speed work I did on Tuesday- I feel awesome. Probably the best I've felt running in a long time.

A little bit can go a long way apparently!

5K: 29:39

10K: 63:13

HM: 2:16:51

FM: respectable time TBD