The Postfontaine Project

Race Reports (Read 7 times)

Jirafe Blanco

I thought it would be fun to have a thread where we report on our races.

Describe how you set your PR (or failed to). Talk about the way your stomach fell apart in the second mile, but you still ran the next 24. Talk about how you never learned to tie your shoes and that kept you from setting a personal record. Talk about how beautiful the course was, or how pretty all of the volunteer girls were and how you spilled sticky gatorade all over your shirt when you stared at them while trying to drink.

Talk about the old guy you passed in the last 100 meters.

We will clap for you.

Post pictures, post times, post regrets, post fontaines (a fontaine is defined as a singular achievement in running).

Be swift out there,

Jirafe

(feel free to talk about past races, especially if they are really good stories)

"Hills are the shortcut to success"

floskij

Madison marathon

PR: 4:08:10

Weather was a crisp 38 degrees when Jake and I arrived around 7:15.  For some reason it took me about 20 min to find the bag drop (which we were standing literally 15 feet away from). Got that settled, chatted with some friends for a bit, pooped, and drank my 5 hour energy with about 8 min until the start.

Gun went off and the main thing I kept telling myself was DO NOT GO TOO FAST.  It was tough at first since a lot of people were going past me (and not to get full of myself, but a lot of them did not look like someone who should be running a race faster than me).  But I forced myself to go a 9:45-10 min pace.  After about 3 miles of this pace I literally started to feel sleepy tired so I picked up the pace which helped.  After slogging up a hill by Edgewood College there was a nice long down hill on Monroe street at about mile 7 to the stadium.

Started cruising for a bit and then just before the 9 mile marker I see a Kenyan runner who already finished the race just cheering on runners.  Once I got a little closer I realized it was Jake who was going to bandit run with me.  He chose a great time to join in; right before the hill on observatory.  It was steep but I wasn't too tired at that point.  Jake and I chatted for the next 3-4 miles, but then the course got really REALLY boring.

At mile 16 the course got more interesting, but kind of hilly.  Then at about mile 18 there was the worst hill of the course.  The course was stupidly hilly, but this was the stupidest of them all.  MY legs were pretty shot, but Jake kept pushing a sub 9 pace (mile 17 was my fasted at 8:36).  Jake said this was too hard for him so he dropped out at mile 22 and left me to finish on my own.  My legs have never been so tired, but I don't think I "bonked".  I just couldn't feel my legs so it made the last 3 miles the worst experience of my life.  I sort of walked ran them and I was glad to see according to my watch those miles were quicker than 11min.  I crossed the finish line, got my picture taken, and got overly excited from a large box of cookies in the finish area.

If you like hills than I suggest running the Madison marathon.  If you don't like hills than it is still a good course minus a 3 or 4 mile stretch from 12-16.  I was definitely under trained coming into this race.  I ran a lot in September, but not that much in October.  That being said, my conclusion is marathons are fun for about 20 miles, and then they suck.

5K: 20:37 (5/115 overall)

10K: 42:08 (32/1,048 overall)

HM: 1:34:20 (69/1,659 overall)

FM: 3:28:35

Congrats to orlof for running the fastest marathon in this group! Everybody else, step your game up

Jirafe Blanco

Haha, I had no idea we were going that fast. I am clearly a talented and useful pacer. Congrats though, 'twas fun.

Also if you want to build your confidence I highly suggest joining a marathon at mile 10 and then pretending the mile 16 sign is actually your 16th mile running. I saw it and thought 'man, I feel great for mile 16'.

My uncle said he would hate me if he was running and saw me join in with fresh legs at mile 9. He also said he's never heard of anyone bandit running before and thought it was weird. But what would he know, he's only run a 2:30 marathon.

CoolAid_WoMan

Madison marathon

PR: 4:08:10

Congrats Orlof! Did you also complete the "Eat $30 worth of Chinese Food By Yourself" challenge immediately after running? That's something everyone does right?

5K: 29:39

10K: 63:13

HM: 2:16:51

FM: respectable time TBD

floskij

Congrats Orlof! Did you also complete the "Eat $30 worth of Chinese Food By Yourself" challenge immediately after running? That's something everyone does right?

For some reason I didn't think of Chinese as a post race meal (but I should have).  We went to Brickhouse BBQ and I had the 2 meat combo with ribs, brisket, cornbread, mac and cheese, and coleslaw.  Then after we left I bought a bag of skittle which I downed pretty quickly.

After a 3 hour drive home I then consumed a spicy tuna role from the grocery store, an entire bag of sweet potato Pop chips, a carton of banana chips, and an easy mac to cleanse the palate.

CoolAid_WoMan

floskij

Post pictures, 

BTW, I forgot to mention in my race report that while I was waiting in line for the bathroom before the race one the the MarathonFoto guys asks to take my picture.  Here is how the exchange happened:

MarathonFoto guy: "Hey, let me get your photo jew."

Me: "What did you just say?"

MarathonFoto guy: "Let me get your photo jeweler."   Takes picture.

MarathonFoto guy: "Hey, let me get your photo jew."

Me: "What did you just say?"

MarathonFoto guy: "Let me get your photo jeweler."   Takes picture.

Sorry it took so long for me to load the film into the camera.

Jennee was right, my strategy of not running to get faster was dumb. First 2 miles were 13:50 and just died on my last one

CoolAid_WoMan

Elf Run 2013:

two seconds. two lousy seconds. like my better half i started out a little too speedy and then lost it- splits were 8:50/9:20/9:55

finished in 29:40

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

not gonna cry about it too much- it was a cold windy day and kind of a tough hilly course. i did improve since my last race (hey 8 seconds is still an improvement!).

i'm going to finish out my goal to run 50 miles in 40 days this week- it was a small goal set to reignite my running routine and it has served it's purpose. next race will be the New Years Eve 5K- and i WILL PR. or else this board will have to deal with angry jennee Angry

Jirafe Blanco

Elf Run 2013:

two seconds. two lousy seconds. like my better half i started out a little too speedy and then lost it- splits were 8:50/9:20/9:55

Think about it like this: If you just run all your miles at 9:20 pace which, according to the goldilock's rule, is just right, you could PR with so much time to spare.

Also, you did your speed work about 6 days or so before the race, and it will take at least a week to see benefits, and now you even ran a race. If you just keep up your consistency you'll PR no problem. I stamp that guarantee with the Jirafe Seal of Approval (there was going to be a link to the 'zimba' photo but I can't get on FB from the school's wireless network).

Remember:

Run often. At different paces. Mostly easy.

Keep up the consistency and you will definitely get it.

As for MrSchansberg -- just try running sometime before the race.

CoolAid_WoMan

Yes we ran a 5K this week. No it isn't worth reporting. WORST TIME IN HISTORY. But I didn't fall down so that's something!

CoolAid_WoMan

This past Sunday we did the Expo Run- Race #4 in the Winter Run Series. After we ran we explored the expo- signing up for lots of giveaways newsletters & emails. Learned about a couple more races we want to do & a running club we may join. Also picked up some sweet headphones that stay in your sweaty ears while running...

Now to the running part!!! The course was much more clear/interesting this time around. I rarely felt nervous about losing my footing and was able to actually extend my stride instead of shuffling for 3 miles. They did make the course a little hillier, but if it meant it was less slippery, I'm completely fine with it.

I felt pretty good- stopped twice, but not for very long, just to catch my breath a bit. Got within a minute of my PR- chip time of 30:32- way better than the 36+ minutes I ran for the New Years race. I have two more chances to PR during the winter run series (February 16 & March 23) but at this point my sub-25 goal appears to be unattainable. 

Sigh... someday....

I ran a 5k race yesterday morning. I didn't run a 5k race  fast enough yesterday morning.