RA Coaching Forum

SurfNRun - Quest for Sub 4 hr Honolulu Marathon - Dec 9, 07 (Read 973 times)

madness baby

Sounds like a great run. I'd like to try a progression run soon, too. I had the same experience with my longest run after the marathon. It was super easy and fun. I'm curious, what kind of workouts will you add in your long runs?
    deb

Prophet!

what kind of workouts will you add in your long runs?
      probably copy some of what mikeymike is doing on his long runs...pickups here and there.. Update! - Trying for 50 m week this week. 45 last week on 6 days of running and it felt great. First tempo run since the 10K..mile warmup, 35 minutes at 8:30ish, 2+mile, total 7 mileish for today. It felt pretty good, i thought it was going to be hard given my longish run on Saturday. I guess good two days of easy/recovery runs worked out good. Everything felt great. I've had some nagging right hip and knee since the 10K but it wasn't too bothersome today. Went crazy at lunch, massive amount of curry fried chicken + rice + a chocolate bar - something about tempo runs makes me want to eat. I figure i'll burn it off tomorrow when i try for a midweek 8 or 10 miles..
      muse_runner

keep running.

Hey Surf N Run, mileage increasing does that to the appetite! Mine goes wacky every time no fail. Your schedule sounds great! I have some hip issues too. Mine started right before I ran my 1st marathon and kind of bothered me during the marathon but it was 2 weeks after that it really got me bad. Comes and goes depending on how much I push the speedworkouts. Anyhow good luck in recovering and keep at those miles! Way to go! jen
        running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
        mikeymike

Nice surfer dude. Just remember to take easy days that are truly easy. Good stuff.

Runners run

Prophet!

so much for 50 mpw this week. Sprained the left ankle (the bad one) pretty bad on a super easy run today...i'm usually pretty careful and watch my footing cause of my long history of tweaking the left ankle...but a girl gave me the hugest smile today and i smiled back at her and then the left ankle gave out..she had already passed by so i didn't get any sympathy comforting...half an hour walk back later i'm now icing it and took some IB. Hopefully it'll heal fast...i should have known better, i took my ipod today too after 2 months of not running with it...damn ipod, damn pretty smiling girls.. peace out...

madness baby

damn pretty smiling girls..
              damn them, damn them, damn them! I hope you're healing okay and that it was maybe just a little twist? Rest up. Wink deb
              deb

Prophet!

swelling is gone down, i can put weight on it but it still feels funky. At least its not as bad as the one i had before the marathon...that one i was out for two weeks and never quite recovered...at some point in time i'll have to have it checked out....recovering by going to see the Kokua Festival with the family on saturday night...Matt Costa, Jack Johnson, Eddie Vedder...good stuff..Eddie Vedder seems a lot more mellow, but maybe cause he's playing with Jack... other than chasing a two year old all around, i got to sit most of the time which was good for the ankle. No running today either, hopefully this coming week i can hit the 50 mpw.' Monday 4/23 - 6.7 miles on track easy..thank you Buddha, i can run on my ankle...some slight soreness after and few twinges during the run but felt pretty good. Ice after. I might run on the track for awhile to get my confidence on my ankle back again.

Prophet!

Thursday, StarDate 4/26/07 6.5, 7, 8, 6.5 miles past four days...first two days were dragging, the 8 miler felt the best i felt in a while and today's 6.5 miles was nice and easy. Some tweakiness on the bum ankle early in the run but it got better. Easy 6m run + strides tomorrow and hopefully get ready for the weekend. Got a 5K on May 16th that i'm nervous + excited about. Haven't ran a 5K since October 06 and haven't really done any 5K pace workout so it'll be a new experience all over again. It'll be interesting to see how i'd do on the 5K just on easy mileage, strides and a little tempo.
                  mikeymike

This should be good! In the first mile, aim for the pace you were running at the end of your 10K. You'll probably wind up going a little faster than that but it's okay. That should keep you from going out too fast and then you should be able to pick it up from there. In the half mile, try to make yourself pass out!

Runners run

Prophet!

In the half mile, try to make yourself pass out!
                      will do...this will be last race for a while...~ 3 mos of more base before i start Honolulu Marathon training.

Prophet!

50 mpw milestone last week and the reward is another left ankle sprain that left me hobbling home after a 0.6 mile on a planned 7mile tempo. I was being nice stepping off of the path for a couple who was hogging the path and then crunch... no more mr. nice guy from now on, and no more off the path for a while. 2nd ankle sprain in 2 weeks...this really bums me out, running low on mojo. mod - i'm wondering if this is a mileage issue
                        Scout7

Hard to say.....Sprained ankle due to terrain might be, but only because you're tired and not paying attention.

Why is it sideways?

Congrats on the 50mpw and sorry about the ankle sprain. Ice that bad boy! You've been at high miles for the last three months, so you oughta be a little tired--and you've had only 4 days off in the last month! Take a break, brother, ice that ankle--a little rest will just make you stronger for when the mojo's back.

Prophet!

thanks folks...mojo's recharged after icing the ankle. I think that since its only been slightly over a week since the last injury my ankle is probably a bit more vulnerable and i need to be extra careful. Surprisingly i don't feel that tired since i went slightly slower on all my runs, in fact today i felt super fresh until the ankle tweak. Rest and ice the bad boy I will today...tomorrow is another day (pray for the ankle to be better enough to hit the first decent south swell coming tomorrow).

Prophet!

5K Race Report. last 5K, 28:29...this one 24:02 (possibly 23:45 or 23:50)...so stoked on the huge improvement.