RA Coaching Forum

Claire - Back from injury. Looking for a 'Fool to 100K' program that won't break my leg. (Read 328 times)

Now that was a bath...

Ok, I am currently asymptomatic on returning to the streets (obviously as a runner and not as a hooker, those days are long gone Tongue). I tried to run again at the seven week post stress fracture mark and was unsuccessful. I stopped again for another three weeks and now, ten weeks post injury I am pain free. Except for the fact that I didn't cross train and I need to regain my fitness completely. This was a conscious decision. I liked building my fitness last time. I don't mind doing it again. The background. I have been running for five months which has included a rather shocking three months on the bench due to a knee injury and then a stress fracture. I obviously need to listen to my body more, we will take that as read. I think if I had been less of a 'If it hurts, make it hurt some more' type of personality I could have avoided the injuries. Fact is that this has been a learning curve for me but it has tempered my enthusiasm none. The present. I have new shoes. Podiatrist wants me to run for 8 weeks then go back to see him to have my running analysed again and to see if orthotics will help me in the future. I have been advised by the physio to run alternate days for at least a week. Ran 1 mile for the first run as directed (did on grass - no problems), Ran 2.6 miles today on concrete (no problems), I have been told to stay at around three miles until I feel stable (two weeks she advised) and to stay on top of any little niggles (i.e. take an extra day off or stop a run if I don't feel 100%) Now here's where I want assistance. Say by May I am back to running at least five times a week at approximately the same distances as before my injury. How would you progress from there? I am not going to race at all this year apart from the 10K Tough guy/ gal race on August 19th. This is an army obstacle style course so I may need to improve upper body strength. I would love to be fit enough to compete in the Waiheke race again next year and to complete the longer 25K, much hillier race. This year that race broke me. Next year I have every intention of breaking it. Help me. Please. PS. I don't walk/run. Not ever. Not unless you point a gun at my head. Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
    mikeymike

Starting in May, assuming you're healthy and back to running 5 x per week without pain, then I'd say you start to build he biggest baddest base you can. Isn't that what Mr. Lydiard would say? Paraphrasing of course.

Runners run

Scout7

I do believe he also tells you to get up to being able to run 2 hours comfortably before worrying about distance. Oh, and I think he would throw something out there about running so that you don't get injured.

Wasatch Speedgoat

Bill Rodgers once said in an interview that one of the reasons for his longevity is that he hops on grass or dirt every chance he gets....I now "only" run on trails for that reason. Of course, I only race on trails these days also, so it is specific training. If I were planning on racing a marathon, I would certainly spend some time on harder stuff....but even in my heavy marathoning days, training along the Charles River in Boston, I would always hop on the dirt path alongside the asphalt bike path. Another thing....90% of your running should be comfortable. You should be able to hold a conversation with your running buddy (or yourself)...if you can't, you're working too hard, pounding too hard and just beating yourself up unnecessarily. I learned over the years that the pace you run is directly connected to the amount of injuries you get Wink Have fun out there...but also remember that life is short, so play hard! Steve

Life is short, play hard!

Now that was a bath...

Blah,blah,blah,blah,blah,blah, Life is too short, play hard. It was hard to remember the rest when Steve finished with such a fab line! I think I understand now. It's a moment of clarity. Leg is peachy perfect still. Still running alternate days. Increasing at rate physio recommended. Not going to increase intensity or speed for a long while, just work on distance. I'm running again.
            Scout7

Glad you're running again.

Now that was a bath...

Thanks Scout! I'm still nervous about my return. I am terrified to run more than alternate days or to increase distance or pace yet. I am so determined not to end up back on that physio couch. Plan for the moment *Stay at 4 mile runs on alternate days for a couple of weeks, monitoring leg for any sign of injury returning. *Then increase to two days running/one day rest schedule, staying at same distance. *If still issue free increase to three days running/one day rest. *If still issue free include a longer run once a week. *If still issue free begin daily running, slowly increasing long run. The hardest thing is to keep the pace slow & steady and not burst into sprints - I am just so darn happy to be out there again! I am also going to take Steve's advice and now that I can drive I am going to take my long runs to the trails. Pounding the concrete day in, day out, can't be good for my poor bones! Claire xxx
                muse_runner

keep running.

Nice run today Claire. Looks like you're recovering!
                  running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.

Why is it sideways?

Sounds like a great plan, Claire. You'll be back to sprinting in no time.

madness baby

Great that you're out there again, Claire. I was wondering how you were doing. take it slow! Smile just enjoy being out there. . .
                      deb